Old 08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Asheesh Laroia

Default mentors.debian.net runs the debexpo code now

Hello lovely debian-devel folks,

Thanks to huge work by Johnny Lamb, Christoph Haas, Jan Dittberner, Kalle
Söderman, Serafeim Zanikolas, David Paleino, and Paul Wise, we have had a
alpha-level product called Debexpo that can replace mentors.debian.net as
the place we do package review for new contributors in Debian.

About a year ago, we began the process to revive the project. Andrey
Rahmatullin (wRAR), Arno Töll, Wolodja Wentland, and I have finally
finished it. Christine Spang (along with SIPB at MIT) put together the
virtual machine that runs it. Thanks to many others who have provided
advice and ideas.

It's live: http://mentors.debian.net/

The big differences between this and the old code are:

* Maintainable codebase

* Ability to see package quality on the package page -- see e.g.
http://expo.debian.net/package/trafficserver

* Ability to leave comments on the web, and subscribe to receive email
updates about packages

* Ability to write new plugins that do new kinds of quality checks

* Beautiful new design, based on main Debian.org layout (idea thanks to
Francesca Ciceri)

* Christoph Haas can finally stop worrying that it'll never happen.

Finishing this coding and migration has been the biggest single thing I've
been doing in my life for the past three or four weeks, so I am now going
to take a bit of a break from it. I will try to advise and make sure that
the community grows.

Huge props to Arno for not only excellent hacking, but fantastic work in
getting new contributors.

http://wiki.debian.org/Debexpo explains where to find the bug tracker and
mailing list.

There is surely more work to be done -- changing strings, updating more
docs, and so forth. You can find us on #debexpo and also our bug tracker.

P.S. Johnny Lamb's original code is actually of pretty high quality. Huge
thanks to him for that; the logging and the clear file layout helped us as
immensely.

-- Asheesh.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Paul Wise

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> Thanks to huge work by Johnny Lamb, Christoph Haas, Jan Dittberner, Kalle
> Söderman, Serafeim Zanikolas, David Paleino, and Paul Wise, we have had a
> alpha-level product called Debexpo that can replace mentors.debian.net as
> the place we do package review for new contributors in Debian.

Congrats to everyone who was involved in this project, it is a huge
achievement to get this done!

I personally am looking forward to the metrics and sponsor <-> matching feature:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsNet#Metrics

I might actually start doing sponsorship again if this were implemented.

Any volunteers?

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi Asheesh,

thank you for your work on this new version! It's really a big step
forward.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> It's live: http://mentors.debian.net/

The PTS cron mail now gives me this message:
| Downloading http://mentors.debian.net/debian/dists/unstable/non-free/source/Sources.gz
| failed, Sources-mentors_non-free.gz is stale now

Can you ensure it's always generated (even if empty) ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Follow my Debian News â–¶ http://RaphaelHertzog.com (English)
▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)

Old 08-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen

Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org> writes:

> It's live: http://mentors.debian.net/

Very impressive. Congratulations to all involved parties.

--
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen <ssm@debian.org>

Old 08-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Asheesh Laroia

Excerpts from Raphael Hertzog's message of Thu Aug 11 15:31:57 -0400 2011:
> Hi Asheesh,
>
> thank you for your work on this new version! It's really a big step
> forward.
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> > It's live: http://mentors.debian.net/
>
> The PTS cron mail now gives me this message:
> | Downloading http://mentors.debian.net/debian/dists/unstable/non-free/source/Sources.gz
> | failed, Sources-mentors_non-free.gz is stale now
>
> Can you ensure it's always generated (even if empty) ?

I just made it manually for now. When it needs to be refreshed it should be
created as non-empty.

Does that do the trick?

-- Asheesh.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> > The PTS cron mail now gives me this message:
> > | Downloading http://mentors.debian.net/debian/dists/unstable/non-free/source/Sources.gz
> > | failed, Sources-mentors_non-free.gz is stale now
> >
> > Can you ensure it's always generated (even if empty) ?
>
> I just made it manually for now. When it needs to be refreshed it should be
> created as non-empty.
>
> Does that do the trick?

As long as it doesn't disappear when it will switch back from non-empty to
empty, yes. :-)

Thanks.

Cheers,

Old 08-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Ian Jackson

Asheesh Laroia writes ("mentors.debian.net runs the debexpo code now"):
> It's live: http://mentors.debian.net/

Thanks, this looks very cool.

I have a question, from the point of view of a potential
sponsor/mentor.

How can I tell the "status" of each of these packages ? I mean: I
would like to know whether anyone else has already reviewed it, or is
working on it, or has uploaded it to Debian proper. Am I expected to
subscribe to debian-mentors ? The "introductory page for sponsors"
was a bit sparse.

Thanks,
Ian.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Paul Wise

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:

> How can I tell the "status" of each of these packages ? *I mean: I
> would like to know whether anyone else has already reviewed it, or is
> working on it, or has uploaded it to Debian proper. *Am I expected to
> subscribe to debian-mentors ? *The "introductory page for sponsors"
> was a bit sparse.

The previous ways to check status were:

look at NEW or incoming.d.o.

look for replies to the ITP bug and or to debian-devel.

look for replies to the RFS mail on debian-mentors.

debexpo adds this to the above:

look for comments on the mentors.d.n website.

There never was any guarantee that subscribing to -mentors meant you
would know about other reviews. Indeed, it often happens that a
package gets uploaded to the archive and the maintainer/sponsor don't
even reply to the RFS saying that the package was uploaded. Or the
reviews moved to IRC or some team's mailing list. This doesn't change
with the new mentors, it just introduces yet another place to look for
reviews. Perhaps the comments on the site will become the primary
place for feedback, but I doubt it considering Debian's mail-centric
culture.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Ivan Shmakov

[…]

> debexpo adds this to the above:

> look for comments on the mentors.d.n website.

> There never was any guarantee that subscribing to -mentors meant you
> would know about other reviews. Indeed, it often happens that a
> package gets uploaded to the archive and the maintainer/sponsor don't
> even reply to the RFS saying that the package was uploaded. Or the
> reviews moved to IRC or some team's mailing list. This doesn't
> change with the new mentors, it just introduces yet another place to
> look for reviews. Perhaps the comments on the site will become the
> primary place for feedback, but I doubt it considering Debian's
> mail-centric culture.

I wonder, is it possible to add a bit more magic to debexpo, so
that the comments made via the Web interface would be forwarded
to the list, and vice versa?

Perhaps Gmane's engine (which is, IIRC, free software) could be
used as an inspiration?

--
FSF associate member #7257

Old 08-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Paul Wise

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> * * * *I wonder, is it possible to add a bit more magic to debexpo, so
> * * * *that the comments made via the Web interface would be forwarded
> * * * *to the list, and vice versa?
>
> * * * *Perhaps Gmane's engine (which is, IIRC, free software) could be
> * * * *used as an inspiration?

Debexpo is software so it should be possible to add anything, as long
as there is a person who feels motivated enough to implement it. Are
you that person?

I imagine that it would be hard to extract mails and present them on
the web, but you could at least give pointers to NEW/incoming, list
archives and the ITP bug replies on the comments page.