FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Keng-Yu Lin
 
Default Bug#637351: ITP: urfkill -- urfkill is a daemon for the management of the radio killswitches.

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: "Keng-Yu Lin" <kengyu@lexical.tw>

* Package name : urfkill
Version : 0.2.0
Upstream Author : Gary Lin <glin@suse.com>
* URL : http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/urfkill
* License : GPL, LGPL
Programming Lang: C
Description : urfkill is a daemon for the management of the radio killswitches.

urfkill daemon handles the configuration of the rfkill-related
function keys and provides the management of the radio killswitches.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110810152548.537.18317.reportbug@yingge">http://lists.debian.org/20110810152548.537.18317.reportbug@yingge
 
Old 08-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Karl Goetz
 
Default Bug#637351: ITP: urfkill -- urfkill is a daemon for the management of the radio killswitches.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:25:48 +0800
Keng-Yu Lin <kengyu@lexical.tw> wrote:

> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: "Keng-Yu Lin" <kengyu@lexical.tw>
>
> * Package name : urfkill
> Version : 0.2.0
> Upstream Author : Gary Lin <glin@suse.com>
> * URL : http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/urfkill
> * License : GPL, LGPL
> Programming Lang: C
> Description : urfkill is a daemon for the management of the
> radio killswitches.
>
> urfkill daemon handles the configuration of the rfkill-related
> function keys and provides the management of the radio killswitches.

Hi,
How does it differ from rfkill, already in the archive? Perhaps the
description could be updated to make this clear.
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian contributor / gNewSense Maintainer
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
No, I won't join your social networking group
 
Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Keng-Yu Lin
 
Default Bug#637351: ITP: urfkill -- urfkill is a daemon for the management of the radio killswitches.

2011/8/11 Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au>:
> Hi,
> How does it differ from rfkill, already in the archive? Perhaps the
> description could be updated to make this clear.
> thanks,
> kk
>

"rfkill" package in the archive is just a simple utility for switch
on/off the RF device.
urfkill handles the hotkeys (KEY_WLAN, KEY_BLUETOOTH, KEY_RFKILL, etc)
and can be configurable to behave differently on the key pressed.
Say, one may like the bluetooth to be switched off too on KEY_WLAN,
whereas in fact KEY_WLAN is for Wifi only, at least literally.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAMe48JjCmqp0tPXAZjU4vhurFH2V1XG_DcfyFFk7T=zC4Zc74 A@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAMe48JjCmqp0tPXAZjU4vhurFH2V1XG_DcfyFFk7T=zC4Zc74 A@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 08-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Andrea Bolognani
 
Default Bug#637351: ITP: urfkill -- urfkill is a daemon for the management of the radio killswitches.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 05:34:56PM +0800, Keng-Yu Lin wrote:

> "rfkill" package in the archive is just a simple utility for switch
> on/off the RF device.
> urfkill handles the hotkeys (KEY_WLAN, KEY_BLUETOOTH, KEY_RFKILL, etc)
> and can be configurable to behave differently on the key pressed.
> Say, one may like the bluetooth to be switched off too on KEY_WLAN,
> whereas in fact KEY_WLAN is for Wifi only, at least literally.

I believe you could achieve the same effect using a combination of
triggerhappy and the aforementioned rfkill, and I don’t like the idea
of having a special daemon running to handle a subset of the special
keys when there’s a more general solution to the problem already in the
archive.

That said, urfkill might have advantages I don’t see.

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org>
Resistance is futile, you will be garbage collected.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Keng-Yu Lin
 
Default Bug#637351: ITP: urfkill -- urfkill is a daemon for the management of the radio killswitches.

2011/8/13 Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org>:
> I believe you could achieve the same effect using a combination of
> triggerhappy and the aforementioned rfkill, and I don’t like the idea
> of having a special daemon running to handle a subset of the special
> keys when there’s a more general solution to the problem already in the
> archive.
>
> That said, urfkill might have advantages I don’t see.
>

"rfkill" has nothing to do with the hotkey management. It is just a
tool to enable/disable a wireless device as specify in the argument.
"urfkill" is a way to manage and toggle these devices based on the
conf file.

The immediate problem is that when KEY_WLAN is commonly generated by
the key press, should bluetooth and 3G be turned off too where there
are in fact keycodes dedicated for each: KEY_BLUETOOTH, KEY_WWAN.

Also as a planned function (but not yet implemented in the code now)
of urfkill, people desire to turn off wifi on the first pressing,
bluetooth on the second and so on... This is only possible if there is
a dedicated daemon for handling this.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAMe48Jj2SNmia4rLNAYVu-mWn5MbtTS83wcBtOJZTOURZ05-Zw@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAMe48Jj2SNmia4rLNAYVu-mWn5MbtTS83wcBtOJZTOURZ05-Zw@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org