FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Keith Lawson
 
Default How to close bug #620550?

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on how to get bug #620550[1] closed. This
thread[2] on php-maint is the only record I can find of why PHP was
switched from GDBM to QDBM. That change introduced gdbm_ symbol
conflicts that end up breaking GDBM functionality in other packages
(mod_perl2 in my case). I provided patches (which may or may not be the
correct approach) to enable building QDBM without the "GDBM emulation"
but haven't seen any activity on the bug in months. On all our
production squeeze servers we've had to resort to building QDBM from
source and replacing the shared lib from the Debian package with our own
which isn't ideal. Should that bug be flagged as RC since it breaks
functionality in other packages? It would be nice to ensure this problem
doesn't exist in the next Debian release if it can't be fixed in stable.


Thanks,
Keith

1: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=620550
2:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-php-maint/2010-February/007044.html



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 6d7ee5f4f064de5a3fe3e10809cf2de4@www.nowhere.ca">h ttp://lists.debian.org/6d7ee5f4f064de5a3fe3e10809cf2de4@www.nowhere.ca
 
Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Ian Jackson
 
Default How to close bug #620550?

Keith Lawson writes ("How to close bug #620550?"):
> I'm looking for advice on how to get bug #620550[1] closed. This
> thread[2] on php-maint is the only record I can find of why PHP was
> switched from GDBM to QDBM. That change introduced gdbm_ symbol
> conflicts that end up breaking GDBM functionality in other packages
> (mod_perl2 in my case). I provided patches (which may or may not be the
> correct approach) to enable building QDBM without the "GDBM emulation"
> but haven't seen any activity on the bug in months. On all our
> production squeeze servers we've had to resort to building QDBM from
> source and replacing the shared lib from the Debian package with our own
> which isn't ideal. Should that bug be flagged as RC since it breaks
> functionality in other packages? It would be nice to ensure this problem
> doesn't exist in the next Debian release if it can't be fixed in stable.

Yes. That bug is definitely RC. IMO it should be cloned into two
bugs:
1. qdbm should not provide gdbm emulation (except perhaps in
a separate, separately-installable, .so, although why you'd
want to use that in Debian is far from clear)
This bug is RC.
2. Unless someone knows why PHP is using qdbm, it should IMO be
switched back to gdbm. This is not RC I think.

Keith, would you care to send the appropriate control messages to the
BTS to do this ? I would do it myself but I'm not entirely sure of
the right package names and version numbers and I think you are more
likely to get that right. I have CC'd the report.

I'm not sure what to do about stable.

Ian.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20031.56691.361760.524680@chiark.greenend.org.uk"> http://lists.debian.org/20031.56691.361760.524680@chiark.greenend.org.uk
 
Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Satoru KURASHIKI
 
Default How to close bug #620550?

hi,

I'm sorry that I've stopped its progress.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Ian Jackson
<ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Keith Lawson writes ("How to close bug #620550?"):
>> I'm looking for advice on how to get bug #620550[1] closed. This
>> thread[2] on php-maint is the only record I can find of why PHP was
>> switched from GDBM to QDBM. That change introduced gdbm_ symbol
>> conflicts that end up breaking GDBM functionality in other packages
>> (mod_perl2 in my case). I provided patches (which may or may not be the
>> correct approach) to enable building QDBM without the "GDBM emulation"
>> but haven't seen any activity on the bug in months. On all our
>> production squeeze servers we've had to resort to building QDBM from
>> source and replacing the shared lib from the Debian package with our own
>> which isn't ideal. Should that bug be flagged as RC since it breaks
>> functionality in other packages? It would be nice to ensure this problem
>> doesn't exist in the next Debian release if it can't be fixed in stable.

> Yes. *That bug is definitely RC. *IMO it should be cloned into two
> bugs:
> *1. qdbm should not provide gdbm emulation (except perhaps in
> * * a separate, separately-installable, .so, although why you'd
> * * want to use that in Debian is far from clear)
> * * This bug is RC.

I want to make libqdbm14 dropping gdbm emulation, and add a new
exclusive libqdbm14-gdbm package to provide compatibility for people who
uses its gdbm emulation. But, I have trouble with packaging to satisfy
dpkg-gensymbols, and stop packaging there...

I will ask for help at mentros about how to treat symbols in such case.

regards,
--
KURASHIKI Satoru


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAM0xXk-k4L5y-WWRduZjVkUgAK9LEOEfRUdX8R=g-J=bvOQbPw@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAM0xXk-k4L5y-WWRduZjVkUgAK9LEOEfRUdX8R=g-J=bvOQbPw@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
sean finney
 
Default How to close bug #620550?

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 01:58:27PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Keith Lawson writes ("How to close bug #620550?"):
> 2. Unless someone knows why PHP is using qdbm, it should IMO be
> switched back to gdbm. This is not RC I think.

I refer you, good sir, to the fine changelog for reference:

php5 (5.1.6-4) unstable; urgency=high

[sean finney]
* no longer build against GPL'd gdbm library (closes: #390452).



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110808143140.GA25202@cobija.connexer.com">http://lists.debian.org/20110808143140.GA25202@cobija.connexer.com
 
Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Ian Jackson
 
Default How to close bug #620550?

sean finney writes ("Re: How to close bug #620550?"):
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 01:58:27PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Keith Lawson writes ("How to close bug #620550?"):
> > 2. Unless someone knows why PHP is using qdbm, it should IMO be
> > switched back to gdbm. This is not RC I think.
>
> I refer you, good sir, to the fine changelog for reference:
>
> php5 (5.1.6-4) unstable; urgency=high
>
> [sean finney]
> * no longer build against GPL'd gdbm library (closes: #390452).

Oh, thanks. (I infer that PHP has a non-GPL-compatible licence.)

Which only leaves the one bug, which I think is a bug in qdbm and
should be RC.

Ian.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20032.1804.66428.78494@chiark.greenend.org.uk">htt p://lists.debian.org/20032.1804.66428.78494@chiark.greenend.org.uk
 
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Tollef Fog Heen
 
Default How to close bug #620550?

]] Ian Jackson

| sean finney writes ("Re: How to close bug #620550?"):
| > On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 01:58:27PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
| > > Keith Lawson writes ("How to close bug #620550?"):
| > > 2. Unless someone knows why PHP is using qdbm, it should IMO be
| > > switched back to gdbm. This is not RC I think.
| >
| > I refer you, good sir, to the fine changelog for reference:
| >
| > php5 (5.1.6-4) unstable; urgency=high
| >
| > [sean finney]
| > * no longer build against GPL'd gdbm library (closes: #390452).
|
| Oh, thanks. (I infer that PHP has a non-GPL-compatible licence.)

No, it just has modules that links against OpenSSL.

--
Tollef Fog Heen
UNIX is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87sjpbesfs.fsf@qurzaw.varnish-software.com">http://lists.debian.org/87sjpbesfs.fsf@qurzaw.varnish-software.com
 
Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Keith Lawson
 
Default How to close bug #620550?

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 16:31:40 +0200, sean finney wrote:


On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 01:58:27PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
Keith Lawson writes ("How to close bug #620550?"): 2. Unless someone knows why PHP is using qdbm, it should IMO be switched back to gdbm. This is not RC I think.
I refer you, good sir, to the fine changelog for reference:

php5 (5.1.6-4) unstable; urgency=high

[sean finney]
* no longer build against GPL'd gdbm library (closes: #390452).





Sorry I didn't check the change bug reports for an explanation for the switch.


I'm not licensing expert by any means, so this means any application that links to GPLed code can't also link to code that's under the ASL? That seems rather restrictive.


I change the bug severity to RC. If licensing is an issue I guess the only option is a version of QDBM in Debian without the GDBM emulation. I'm not sure how that's going to work if you want to install libapache2-mod-php5 and use GDBM though. I used the patches I sent for building QDBM without the gdbm_ symbols but that effectively breaks any GDBM functionality in PHP apps if PHP isn't linked against GDBM anymore.


Thanks,
Keith.

*
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org