Old 08-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Lifeng Sun

Default ITP: High Energy Physics related packages

Hi all,

I filed a dozen of ITP bugs for high energy physics related packages
[1-12], here is a summary their descriptions, licenses and URL:

* clhep -- Class Library for High Energy Physics
License: GPL-3, LGPL-3

The CLHEP package is a set of High Energy Physics specific
foundation and utility classes such as random generators, physics
vectors, geometry and linear algebra.

* root-system -- CERN's ROOT Data Analysis Framework
License: LGPL-2.1, GPL-3

ROOT is an object-oriented program and library developed by CERN. It
was originally designed for particle physics data analysis and
contains several features specific to this field, but it is also
used in other applications such as astronomy and data mining.

* hepmc -- C++ Event Record for Monte Carlo Generators
License: GPL-2

The HepMC package is an object oriented event record written in C++
for High Energy Physics Monte Carlo Generators.

Many extensions from HEPEVT, the Fortran HEP standard, are
supported: the number of entries is unlimited, spin density matrices
can be stored with each vertex, flow patterns (such as color) can be
stored and traced, integers representing random number generator
states can be stored, and an arbitrary number of event weights can
be included. Particles and vertices are kept separate in a graph
structure, physically similar to a physics event.

The added information supports the modularisation of event
generators. Event information is accessed by means of iterators
supplied with the package.

* lhapdf -- Les Houches Accord Parton Density Function interface
License: GPL-2

LHAPDF provides a unified and easy to use interface to modern PDF
sets. It is designed to work not only with individual PDF sets but
also with the more recent multiple "error" sets. It can be viewed as
the successor to PDFLIB, incorporating many of the older sets found
in the latter, including pion and photon PDFs. In LHAPDF the
computer code and input parameters/grids are separated thus allowing
more easy updating and no limit to the expansion possibilities.

* fastjet2 -- Fast C++ code for the kt and other jet algorithms
License: GPL-2 (some plugins of this package are not DFSG conformed,
I would purge them first.

The FastJet package provides a fast implementation of several
longitudinally invariant sequential recombination jet algorithms, in
particular the longitudinally invariant kt jet algorithm, the
inclusive longitudinally invariant version of the Cambridge/Aachen
jet-algorithm, and the inclusive anti-kt algorithm.

* siscone -- Seedless Infrared Safe Cone Jet Finder
License: GPL-2

SISCone implements a seedless infrared (IR) safe cone jet algorithm,
it takes N^2*ln(N) time to find jets among N particles, comparing to
N*2^N time of other algorithms.

* pythia8 -- Events Generator of High Energy Physics
License: GPL-2

PYTHIA is a program for the generation of high-energy physics
events, i.e. for the description of collisions at high energies
between elementary particles such as e+, e-, p and pbar in various
combinations. It contains theory and models for a number of physics
aspects, including hard and soft interactions, parton distributions,
initial- and final-state parton showers, multiple interactions,
fragmentation and decay.

* rivet -- Robust Independent Validation of Experiment and Theory
License: GPL-2

Rivet is a toolkit for validation of Monte Carlo event
generators. Using a computationally efficient model for observable
computations, Rivet provides a set of experimental analyses useful
for generator sanity checks, as well as a convenient infrastructure
for adding your own analysis.

* yaml-cpp -- YAML parser and emitter for C++
License: X

yaml-cpp is a YAML parser and emitter in C++ matching the YAML 1.2
specification.

(yaml-cpp is required by rivet.)

* thepeg -- Toolkit for High Energy Physics Event Generation
License: GPL-2

ThePEG is a general toolkit for implementing physics models of event
generation in high energy particle collisions. It defines a general
structure of event generation in terms of abstract base classes for
e.g. hard partonic matrix elements, parton showers and the decay of
unstable particles. Different models are then implemented by
creating classes which inherits from these base classes and
implements sets of pre-defined virtual functions.

* looptools -- Integral Evaluator of One-loop Feynman Diagram
License: LGPL-3

LoopTools is a package for evaluation of scalar and tensor one-loop
integrals based on the FF package by G.J. van Oldenborgh. It
features an easy Fortran, C++, and Mathematica interface to the
scalar one-loop functions of FF and in addition provides the 2-, 3-,
and 4-point tensor coefficient functions.

* herwig++ -- Multi-purpose event generator for high energy physics
License: GPL-2

Herwig++ is a completely new event generator, written in C++. It is
built on the experience gained with the well-known event generator
HERWIG. The aim is to provide a multi purpose event generator with
similar or improved capabilities (like angular ordered parton
evolution and the cluster hadronization model).

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

[1] clhep
[2] root-system
[3] hepmc
[4] lhapdf
[5] fastjet2
[6] siscone
[7] pythia8
[8] rivet
[9] yaml-cpp
[10] thepeg
[11] looptools
[12] herwig++

Cheers,
Lifeng

Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Christoph Anton Mitterer

Hi.

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 07:47 +0800, Lifeng Sun wrote:
> I filed a dozen of ITP bugs for high energy physics related packages
> [1-12], here is a summary their descriptions, licenses and URL:
Great! I'm looking forward to see these [back] in Debian.

> * root-system -- CERN's ROOT Data Analysis Framework
> License: LGPL-2.1, GPL-3
>
> ROOT is an object-oriented program and library developed by CERN. It
> was originally designed for particle physics data analysis and
> contains several features specific to this field, but it is also
> used in other applications such as astronomy and data mining.
What about PROOF[0]? And "add-ons" like Proof on Demand

Cheers,
Chris.

[0] http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/proof
[1] http://pod.gsi.de/

Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Paul Wise

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM, Lifeng Sun wrote:

> * root-system -- CERN's ROOT Data Analysis Framework
> *License: LGPL-2.1, GPL-3
>
> *ROOT is an object-oriented program and library developed by CERN. It
> *was originally designed for particle physics data analysis and
> *contains several features specific to this field, but it is also
> *used in other applications such as astronomy and data mining.

root-system was removed from Debian, please make sure that the RC bugs
that caused this package to be orphaned are fixed with your upload.
You might also want to reopen any of the bugs that are fixed in
version 5.24.00-1+rm and not fixed in your upload.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/r/root-system.html
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;src=root-system

--
bye,