Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Andreas Tille

Default Publishing mboxes of mailing list archives (Was: Debian mailing lists archives as mbox)

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 01:56:16PM +0200, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 12:20:03PM +0200, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > > And you are of course sure that everybody using reportbug knows there address
> > > will be published? We have several complaints a month about the problem.
> >
> > Please stick to the topic. In this thread it is about mailing lists.
> > However, I'm not against discussing the debbugs issue in another thread
> > because it is for sure relevant.
>
> FTR http://lists.debian.org/bugs.html

This does not apply to our topic as well. These lists are not
(publicly) archived (or am I missing something?) and I actually do not
see any reason to do so. So as I said: Debbugs is a different topic
than mailing lists. It is interesting, but should be discussed
separately.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Felipe Sateler

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 14:15:34 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

>> > Please stick to the topic. In this thread it is about mailing lists.
>> > However, I'm not against discussing the debbugs issue in another
>> > thread because it is for sure relevant.
>>
>> FTR http://lists.debian.org/bugs.html
>
> This does not apply to our topic as well. These lists are not
> (publicly) archived (or am I missing something?)

BTW, both gmane and the mail archive seem to be archiving the bugs lists.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

Old 08-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Andreas Tille

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 11:28:55PM +0000, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> > This does not apply to our topic as well. These lists are not
> > (publicly) archived (or am I missing something?)
>
> BTW, both gmane and the mail archive seem to be archiving the bugs lists.

I have no idea why people are really trying to spoil this thread to
things we can not do anything about it. These third party sites
are archiving *all* our lists. I would like to discuss about the
things we can do something about, right?

If you consequently think about your remark please explain why we should
strip information (author names and e-mails) as listmaster was thinking
about? And why should we not provide mboxes on our side if others are
simply doing this anyway?

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 08-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Felipe Sateler

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 07:58:35 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 11:28:55PM +0000, Felipe Sateler wrote:
>> > This does not apply to our topic as well. These lists are not
>> > (publicly) archived (or am I missing something?)
>>
>> BTW, both gmane and the mail archive seem to be archiving the bugs
>> lists.
>
> I have no idea why people are really trying to spoil this thread to
> things we can not do anything about it. These third party sites are
> archiving *all* our lists. I would like to discuss about the things we
> can do something about, right?

I think wasting time hiding public information is... wasting time.

> If you consequently think about your remark please explain why we should
> strip information (author names and e-mails) as listmaster was thinking
> about?

I don't see any reason.

> And why should we not provide mboxes on our side if others are
> simply doing this anyway?

I can't answer that. I was simply pointing out that the information is
already out there, so hiding it doesn't really accomplish much.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler