Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM
"Bernhard R. Link"

Default Debian mailing lists archives as mbox (was:

* Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> [110804 11:30]:
> P.S. I know its nice to be open. But publishing real names and mailaddresses
> is a problem and at least problematic under german law (and probably for
> other countries).

While publishing real names and mailing addresses might be a problem,
publishing mails sent to a list including those is in my eyes something
completely different. (At least I for example never saw a newspaper claim
that for Leserbriefe you need to give written permission to have your name
stated if they are published).

There might be a problem with Received lines, IP addresses, envelope
adressen and other headers in Mails, but I call bullshit any claim that there
is any restriction about having the name and email adress or any other regular
part of the mail itself published as part of a mail explicitly sent to be
published (i.e. sent to a mailing list).

(Doing some collection and giving stats by sender or stuff like that
might be processing of that information needing some permission, but
those data is not processed if it is simply part of the published mail).

Bernhard R. Link

Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Alexander Wirt

Bernhard R. Link schrieb am Friday, den 05. August 2011:

> * Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> [110804 11:30]:
> > P.S. I know its nice to be open. But publishing real names and mailaddresses
> > is a problem and at least problematic under german law (and probably for
> > other countries).
>
> While publishing real names and mailing addresses might be a problem,
> publishing mails sent to a list including those is in my eyes something
> completely different. (At least I for example never saw a newspaper claim
> that for Leserbriefe you need to give written permission to have your name
> stated if they are published).
>
> There might be a problem with Received lines, IP addresses, envelope
> adressen and other headers in Mails, but I call bullshit any claim that there
> is any restriction about having the name and email adress or any other regular
> part of the mail itself published as part of a mail explicitly sent to be
> published (i.e. sent to a mailing list).
And you are of course sure that everybody using reportbug knows there address
will be published? We have several complaints a month about the problem.

> (Doing some collection and giving stats by sender or stuff like that
> might be processing of that information needing some permission, but
> those data is not processed if it is simply part of the published mail).
We were talking about data mining on the mails which is imho questionable if
the stats will be published full name and address.

Alex