Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM

Default support for installing unconfigured systems (VM images, Debian Live images, preinstalled mobile/tablet images)

On Aug 13, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> > Marco, do you have any plans for using this scheme as an option or as
> > the default?
Yes, because the upstream maintainers decided that the current scheme
cannot work and will remove support for it.
I do not know how long it will be feasible to keep it as a Debian patch.

> This is implemented in the biosdevname package, which I think we should
I never bothered packaging it because AFAIK it is not needed with recent
kernels (and recent hardware?).

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 08-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 01:34 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Aug 13, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > > Marco, do you have any plans for using this scheme as an option or as
> > > the default?
> Yes, because the upstream maintainers decided that the current scheme
> cannot work and will remove support for it.
> I do not know how long it will be feasible to keep it as a Debian patch.

It works today for many users. I don't see why it would stop working
for them.

> > This is implemented in the biosdevname package, which I think we should
> I never bothered packaging it because AFAIK it is not needed with recent
> kernels (and recent hardware?).

The kernel will continue to generate names using the formats eth%d,
wlan%d etc. There needs some userland program to generate the new
device names, whether it's in the udev package or another package.

Ben.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Marco d'Itri

On Aug 14, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> > Yes, because the upstream maintainers decided that the current scheme
> > cannot work and will remove support for it.
> > I do not know how long it will be feasible to keep it as a Debian patch.
> It works today for many users. I don't see why it would stop working
> for them.
This was my objection as well, but it was not well received.

> > > This is implemented in the biosdevname package, which I think we should
> > I never bothered packaging it because AFAIK it is not needed with recent
> > kernels (and recent hardware?).
> The kernel will continue to generate names using the formats eth%d,
> wlan%d etc. There needs some userland program to generate the new
> device names, whether it's in the udev package or another package.
Yes, with appropriate rules udev should be able to rename the interfaces
without biosdevname.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Alex Mestiashvili

On 08/13/2011 06:15 PM, Colin Watson wrote:

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 02:55:51PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:

There is a new network device naming scheme that uses physical location
(slot number or firmware-provided port number) to name PCI network
devices. So far this is implemented in Fedora 15 and RHEL 6.1 (!). I
assume this would generate consistent device names for network devices
in VMs if the configurations differ only by MAC address.

Marco, do you have any plans for using this scheme as an option or as
the default?

This is implemented in the biosdevname package, which I think we should
get into Debian. I got it into Ubuntu a while back, but have been
neglecting to sync up Debian. Alex, what's the progress of your ITP
(#617820)? Would you like to work together based on my Ubuntu package
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/biosdevname), which in turn was
somewhat based on the packaging provided by upstream?

I liked the idea of biosdevname and use it for my hardware .
The are no big progress because I've seen the discussion about possible
solution with udev rules .But I would like to make the package tidy
.I'll look on your package as soon as I'll find some time .

Regards ,
Alex