Old 02-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Harshula

Default QUESTION: Debian Policy: Manual pages

Hi,

re: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1
Each program, utility, and function should have an associated manual
page included in the same package. It is suggested that all
configuration files also have a manual page included as well. Manual
pages for protocols and other auxiliary things are optional.

If no manual page is available, this is considered as a bug and should
be reported to the Debian Bug Tracking System (the maintainer of the
package is allowed to write this bug report themselves, if they so
desire). Do not close the bug report until a proper man page is
available.[80]

Here's the example:

1) a.tar.gz -> a.deb
2) b.tar.gz -> b.deb
3) c.tar.gz -> c.deb

c.tar.gz contains only documentation, including man pages for
binaries/scripts in a.tar.gz and b.tar.gz.

Since c.deb contains all the man pages, running lintian on a.deb results
in:
W: m17n-db: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/m17n-db
N:
N: Each binary in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /bin, /sbin or /usr/games
should
N: have a manual page
N:
N: Note, that though the `man' program has the capability to check for
N: several program names in the NAMES section, each of these programs
N: should have its own manual page (a symbolic link to the appropriate
N: manual page is sufficient) because other manual page viewers such
as
N: xman or tkman don't support this.
N:
N: Refer to Policy Manual, section 12.1 for details.
N:

What is the recommended way to deal with this scenario?

cya,
#

Old 02-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Thibaut Paumard

Each program, utility, and function should have an associated manual
page included in the same package. [...]

Here's the example:

1) a.tar.gz -> a.deb
2) b.tar.gz -> b.deb
3) c.tar.gz -> c.deb

c.tar.gz contains only documentation, including man pages for
binaries/scripts in a.tar.gz and b.tar.gz.
[example of lintian warnings]
What is the recommended way to deal with this scenario?

My point-of-view is that it's fine IF the package which contains the
binaries Depends: on the package which contains the manpage. In that
case, you may write a lintian override.

(Note: IANADD... BADM)

Regards, Thibaut.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
"Leo "costela" Antunes"

Hi

Firstly, this kind of question would be better suited in the
debian-mentors list.

Harshula wrote:
> Here's the example:
>
> 1) a.tar.gz -> a.deb
> 2) b.tar.gz -> b.deb
> 3) c.tar.gz -> c.deb

Are they really distributed in three separate upstream tarballs? If they
are, perhaps it would be better to generate a single tarball, if not,
there's no need to split it. A single tarball can - and most do -
generate many separate debs. Take a look at the New Maintainer Guide[0]
or get the sources of some existing packages to get the hang of it.

This should solve the manpage issue.

Cheers

[0] http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]

Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Felipe Sateler

Harshula wrote:

> Hi,
>
> re: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1
> Each program, utility, and function should have an associated manual
> page included in the same package. It is suggested that all
> configuration files also have a manual page included as well. Manual
> pages for protocols and other auxiliary things are optional.
>
> If no manual page is available, this is considered as a bug and should
> be reported to the Debian Bug Tracking System (the maintainer of the
> package is allowed to write this bug report themselves, if they so
> desire). Do not close the bug report until a proper man page is
> available.[80]
>
> Here's the example:
>
> 1) a.tar.gz -> a.deb
> 2) b.tar.gz -> b.deb
> 3) c.tar.gz -> c.deb
>
> c.tar.gz contains only documentation, including man pages for
> binaries/scripts in a.tar.gz and b.tar.gz.

> What is the recommended way to deal with this scenario?

If the three tarballs are released in sync, it may be possible to repack all
three as one source tarball for debian.

--

Felipe Sateler

Old 02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Russ Allbery

Harshula <harshula@gmail.com> writes:

> Since c.deb contains all the man pages, running lintian on a.deb results
> in:
> W: m17n-db: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/m17n-db
> N:
> N: Each binary in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /bin, /sbin or /usr/games
> should
> N: have a manual page
> N:
> N: Note, that though the `man' program has the capability to check for
> N: several program names in the NAMES section, each of these programs
> N: should have its own manual page (a symbolic link to the appropriate
> N: manual page is sufficient) because other manual page viewers such
> as
> N: xman or tkman don't support this.
> N:
> N: Refer to Policy Manual, section 12.1 for details.
> N:
>
> What is the recommended way to deal with this scenario?

I thought that tag in lintian already had a note that you should add an
override if the man pages are shipped in a different package on which this
package has a dependency. Apparently I was just imagining things.

Such a note will be present in the next release.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le vendredi 15 février 2008 à 03:04 +1100, Harshula a écrit :
> 1) a.tar.gz -> a.deb
> 2) b.tar.gz -> b.deb
> 3) c.tar.gz -> c.deb
>
> c.tar.gz contains only documentation, including man pages for
> binaries/scripts in a.tar.gz and b.tar.gz.

Then a and b should Recommend: c, regardless of how the upstream
tarballs are packaged. All the rest is superfluous. Just ignore the
lintian warning or add an override,

Cheers,
--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Bas Zoetekouw

Hi Josselin!

You wrote:

> Le vendredi 15 février 2008 à 03:04 +1100, Harshula a écrit :
> > 1) a.tar.gz -> a.deb
> > 2) b.tar.gz -> b.deb
> > 3) c.tar.gz -> c.deb
> >
> > c.tar.gz contains only documentation, including man pages for
> > binaries/scripts in a.tar.gz and b.tar.gz.
>
> Then a and b should Recommend: c, regardless of how the upstream
> tarballs are packaged. All the rest is superfluous. Just ignore the
> lintian warning or add an override,

Why a recommends? In order to satisfy the spirit of policy ("every
binary must have a man page") it would need to be a depends, imo.

--
Kind regards,
Bas Zoetekouw.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Cyril Brulebois

On 14/02/2008, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I thought that tag in lintian already had a note that you should add
> an override if the man pages are shipped in a different package on
> which this package has a dependency. Apparently I was just imagining
> things.

ISTR it's the case for icons in desktop/menu files.

--
Cyril Brulebois

Old 02-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Harshula

Hi,

Answers:

a) Yes, they are *really* distributed in three separate tarballs.
b) The three tarballs are not released in sync.

Conclusion:

1) a.deb & b.deb shall depend on c.deb
2) a.deb & b.deb shall contain lintian overrides.

Thanks for the useful feedback!

[NOTE: If replying, please keep my email address in the TO/CC list]

cya,
#