Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/)
-   -   gpfs packages for a migration to Debian ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/555572-gpfs-packages-migration-debian.html)

Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel 07-22-2011 08:19 AM

gpfs packages for a migration to Debian ?
 
Hello,

I hope that this mailing list is the right one for that kind of questions.

I am investigating the availability of packages for de IBM General
Parallel File System (GPFS) [1] for Debian. It seems that this kind of
distributed filesystem is of 1st importance for an European institut to
migrate most for their desktop and serveur to a Debian Solution.

So I am asking here, to know if someone already has got experience with this kind of
installation, and if some one already packages it.

thanks for your help.

Frédéric

[1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/hpccentral/General+Parallel+File+System+%28GPFS%29

--
GPG public key 4096R/4696E015 2011-02-14
fingerprint = E92E 7E6E 9E9D A6B1 AA31 39DC 5632 906F 4696 E015
uid Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel <picca@synchrotron-soleil.fr>

GPG public key 1024D/A59B1171 2009-08-11
fingerprint = 1688 A3D6 F0BD E4DF 2E6B 06AA B6A9 BA6A A59B 1171
uid Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel <picca@debian.org>

Luk Claes 07-22-2011 09:03 AM

gpfs packages for a migration to Debian ?
 
On 07/22/2011 10:19 AM, Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> Hello,

Hi

> I hope that this mailing list is the right one for that kind of questions.
>
> I am investigating the availability of packages for de IBM General
> Parallel File System (GPFS) [1] for Debian. It seems that this kind of
> distributed filesystem is of 1st importance for an European institut to
> migrate most for their desktop and serveur to a Debian Solution.
>
> So I am asking here, to know if someone already has got experience with this kind of
> installation, and if some one already packages it.

We (at my university) experimented with GPFS on some Debian systems
quite recently. There are some issues though: some of the code can not
be distributed freely (one needs GPFS licenses) and the other issue is
to get the GPFS driver to compile one needs to cheat (we disguised us as
Ubuntu so the kernel headers could be found by the build process, but
had to remove Ubuntu specific parts as the number of arguments to the
kernel functions was unlike Ubuntu).

Cheers

Luk


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E293CEA.6060504@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/4E293CEA.6060504@debian.org

Stéphan Gorget 07-22-2011 12:45 PM

gpfs packages for a migration to Debian ?
 
2011/7/22 Luk Claes <luk@debian.org>:
> On 07/22/2011 10:19 AM, Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
>> Hello,
>
> Hi
>
>> I hope that this mailing list is the right one for that kind of questions.
>>
>> I am investigating the availability of packages for de IBM General
>> Parallel File System (GPFS) [1] for Debian. It seems that this kind of
>> distributed filesystem is of 1st importance for an European institut to
>> migrate most for their desktop and serveur to a Debian Solution.
>>
>> So I am asking here, to know if someone already has got experience with this kind of
>> installation, and if some one already packages it.
>
> We (at my university) experimented with GPFS on some Debian systems
> quite recently. There are some issues though: some of the code can not
> be distributed freely (one needs GPFS licenses) and the other issue is
> to get the GPFS driver to compile one needs to cheat (we disguised us as
> Ubuntu so the kernel headers could be found by the build process, but
> had to remove Ubuntu specific parts as the number of arguments to the
> kernel functions was unlike Ubuntu).
>
> Cheers
>
> Luk
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4E293CEA.6060504@debian.org
>
>

At EDF S.A. we are using GPFS on one of our production cluster (based
on Debian squeeze, > 200 Tflops, > 1Po, #43 at TOP500 :
http://www.top500.org/system/10804)
This is working pretty well but cannot distribute freely the package
because of GPFS licences.

--
Stéphan Gorget


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAM-kX-6O9the2vhn=qUtj57A53E6whJK9meOjSbzi_DvJBbjgA@mail. gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAM-kX-6O9the2vhn=qUtj57A53E6whJK9meOjSbzi_DvJBbjgA@mail. gmail.com

Liang Guo 07-22-2011 03:54 PM

gpfs packages for a migration to Debian ?
 
2011/7/22 Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel
<frederic-emmanuel.picca@synchrotron-soleil.fr>:
> Hello,
>
> I hope that this mailing list is the right one for that kind of questions.
>
> I am investigating the availability of packages for de IBM General
> Parallel File System (GPFS) [1] for Debian. It seems that this kind of
> distributed filesystem is of 1st importance for an European institut to
> migrate most for their desktop and serveur to a Debian Solution.
>
> So I am asking here, to know if someone already has got experience with this kind of
> installation, and if some one already packages it.
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> Frédéric
>
> [1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/hpccentral/General+Parallel+File+System+%28GPFS%29
>
> --
IBM doesn't provide GPFS source code, what we can do is waiting IBM
release GPFS that support Debian,

You can use alien to convert GPFS rpms to debs, and install them in Debian

--
Liang GUO
http://bluestone.cublog.cn


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAJwrgW6cS0PSFBD+yAnfp18aZrwScjaBmUQXW0XvROfUCtR36 Q@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAJwrgW6cS0PSFBD+yAnfp18aZrwScjaBmUQXW0XvROfUCtR36 Q@mail.gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.