Old 07-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Elías Alejandro

Default DEP-5 Copyright Question

Dear all,
I've just read this thread. What do you think about this [1]

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/07/msg00427.html

Add:
- Previous Debian release include copyright image owner.
- Image license requires link to web site source as a condition.

Elías Alejandro

Old 07-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Steve Langasek

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 09:11:50PM -0500, Elías Alejandro wrote:
> Dear all,
> I've just read this thread. What do you think about this [1]

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/07/msg00427.html

debian/copyright should list the names of the actual copyright holders of
the work. debian-devel is not a great resource for helping you figure out
who those copyright holders are, but if the upstream author has already told
you who the copyright holder is, you should list that.

You mention that the upstream author *transformed* the image. Mechanical
transformations (such as compilation of source code) do not normally have
copyright associated with them, so the copyright of cat.pzl would probably
be the same as for cat.jpg.

> Add:
> - Previous Debian release include copyright image owner.
> - Image license requires link to web site source as a condition.

This last part sounds potentially non-free. If this is software that you're
planning to include in Debian main, please submit the license to
debian-legal@lists.debian.org for public review of its terms.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 07-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Elías Alejandro

Hi Steve,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 07:47:25AM +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> debian/copyright should list the names of the actual copyright holders of
> the work. debian-devel is not a great resource for helping you figure out
> who those copyright holders are, but if the upstream author has already told
> you who the copyright holder is, you should list that.

I'm agree with you.

> You mention that the upstream author *transformed* the image. Mechanical
> transformations (such as compilation of source code) do not normally have
> copyright associated with them, so the copyright of cat.pzl would probably
> be the same as for cat.jpg.

yes, would probably... but I think *transformed* image holder is upstream
author so copyright belong to him or I'm wrong... Compilation as a process
result from sources present in that case I'm agree with you.

> > Add:
> > - Previous Debian release include copyright image owner.
> > - Image license requires link to web site source as a condition.
>
> This last part sounds potentially non-free. If this is software that you're
> planning to include in Debian main, please submit the license to
> debian-legal@lists.debian.org for public review of its terms.
I'll take your advice and I'll ask a question in debian-legal. Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

--
Elías Alejandro

Old 07-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Steve Langasek

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:42:20AM -0500, Elías Alejandro wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 07:47:25AM +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > debian/copyright should list the names of the actual copyright holders of
> > the work. debian-devel is not a great resource for helping you figure out
> > who those copyright holders are, but if the upstream author has already told
> > you who the copyright holder is, you should list that.

> I'm agree with you.

> > You mention that the upstream author *transformed* the image. Mechanical
> > transformations (such as compilation of source code) do not normally have
> > copyright associated with them, so the copyright of cat.pzl would probably
> > be the same as for cat.jpg.
> >
> yes, would probably... but I think *transformed* image holder is upstream
> author so copyright belong to him or I'm wrong...

That depends what the transformation *is*. You would need to explain how
it's been transformed for anyone here to give an educated opinion.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Elías Alejandro

> > You mention that the upstream author *transformed* the image. *Mechanical

> > transformations (such as compilation of source code) do not normally have

> > copyright associated with them, so the copyright of cat.pzl would probably

> > be the same as for cat.jpg.

> yes, would probably... but I think *transformed* image holder is upstream

> author so copyright belong to him or I'm wrong...

That depends what the transformation *is*. *You would need to explain how

it's been transformed for anyone here to give an educated opinion.
Well, it seems upstream-author catch this image and then *transformed* as a .pzl
file (puzzle image file) all of this for create* jigsaw game. Into upstream source

ONLY there are these puzzle images and he mentions about its copyright/licenses,
but there aren't jpeg,png... (source files).

Elías Alejandro
*

Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Steve Langasek

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 07:01:03PM -0500, Elías Alejandro wrote:
> > Mechanical
> > have
> > probably
> > > >
> > > yes, would probably... but I think *transformed* image holder is upstream
> > > author so copyright belong to him or I'm wrong...

> > That depends what the transformation *is*. You would need to explain how
> > it's been transformed for anyone here to give an educated opinion.

> Well, it seems upstream-author catch this image and then *transformed* as
> a .pzl file (puzzle image file) all of this for create jigsaw game. Into
> upstream source ONLY there are these puzzle images and he mentions about
> its copyright/licenses, but there aren't jpeg,png... (source files).

Right, that's more or less what I thought it would be. It is unlikely that
the transformation from a jpg to a "puzzle image file" includes any creative
contribution; if this is an algorithmic transformation, then I believe
*only* copyright interest in the .pzl file is from the copyright holder of
the original image.

If you believe that there is a creative element to the way the .pzl file is
being made, then the correct copyright holder would be *both* the copyright
holder of the original image *and* the software author who has made the
change to the file.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Elías Alejandro

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:12:28AM +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Right, that's more or less what I thought it would be. It is unlikely that
> the transformation from a jpg to a "puzzle image file" includes any creative
> contribution; if this is an algorithmic transformation, then I believe
> *only* copyright interest in the .pzl file is from the copyright holder of
> the original image.
>
> If you believe that there is a creative element to the way the .pzl file is
> being made, then the correct copyright holder would be *both* the copyright
> holder of the original image *and* the software author who has made the
> change to the file.

ok, I'll take your advice Steve. Thanks a lot once again
I think I've learned a little bit more about this issues.

Best regards,

--
Elías Alejandro