Old 07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Yaroslav Halchenko

Default DEP5 public-domain Question

quick one -- where to place "public domain" -- into Copyright or
License?

http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/
kinda suggests to use short license name "public-domain" within License:
field. But also it suggests that Copyright is the correct place for
such information (which I agree with, since being "public domain" is
about ownership, not description of the use terms)

Also, the DEP5 checker has no clue about public-domain as a short
license either:

$> config-edit -application dpkg-copyright -ui none
Configuration item 'Files:"scikits/statsmodels/datasets/anes96/anes96.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/grunfeld/grunfeld.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/longley/longley.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/macrodata/macrodata.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/nile/nile.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/randhie/randhie.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/stackloss/stackloss.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/strikes/strikes.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/sunspots/sunspots.csv" License short_name' has a wrong value:
license public-domain is not declared in main License section. Expected BSD-3

and if I omit license for works in public-domain (mentioned in Copyright

$> config-edit -application dpkg-copyright -ui none
Configuration item 'Files:"scikits/statsmodels/datasets/anes96/anes96.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/grunfeld/grunfeld.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/longley/longley.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/macrodata/macrodata.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/nile/nile.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/randhie/randhie.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/stackloss/stackloss.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/strikes/strikes.csv
scikits/statsmodels/datasets/sunspots/sunspots.csv" License short_name' has a wrong value:
Undefined mandatory value.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Russ Allbery

Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> writes:

> quick one -- where to place "public domain" -- into Copyright or
> License?

> http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/
> kinda suggests to use short license name "public-domain" within License:
> field. But also it suggests that Copyright is the correct place for
> such information (which I agree with, since being "public domain" is
> about ownership, not description of the use terms)

I think public domain in the Debian DEP-5 context is a license. While
it's not legally a license, the public domain status serves the same
purpose: telling people what rights they have to use the work. So I would
do something like:

License: public-domain
<insert here the exact wording from upstream explaining why the work is
in the public domain>

You do need some sort of statement about why the work is in the public
domain, since that's a rather unusual status and requires some
justification (such as that it's a US government work).

Old 07-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Jakub Wilk

* Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>, 2011-07-20, 11:06:

http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/
kinda suggests to use short license name "public-domain" within
License: field. But also it suggests that Copyright is the correct
place for such information (which I agree with, since being "public
domain" is about ownership, not description of the use terms)

I think public domain in the Debian DEP-5 context is a license. While
it's not legally a license, the public domain status serves the same
purpose: telling people what rights they have to use the work. So I
would do something like:

License: public-domain
<insert here the exact wording from upstream explaining why the work
is in the public domain>

So what to put in the Copyright field? It's a required one.

--
Jakub Wilk

Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Russ Allbery

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> writes:
> * Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>, 2011-07-20, 11:06:

>> I think public domain in the Debian DEP-5 context is a license. While
>> it's not legally a license, the public domain status serves the same
>> purpose: telling people what rights they have to use the work. So I
>> would do something like:
>>
>> License: public-domain
>> <insert here the exact wording from upstream explaining why the work is
>> in the public domain>

> So what to put in the Copyright field? It's a required one.

I'd just say:

Copyright: Public Domain

Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Russ Allbery

Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Lars Wirzenius

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 08:19:46PM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> So what to put in the Copyright field? It's a required one.

I'd do something like this:

Copyright: not applicable
License: public-domain
This work was created by the government of the United States of
America without any of the usual attempts to circumvent the
policy that all such works are without copyright. It is therefore
in the public domain. See http://... for information of how
the work was created.

Or like this:

Copyright: nobody
License: public-domain
The authors of this work live in a jurisdiction where the
concept of public domain actually exists, and have gone through
all the necessary steps to put the work into the public domain.
These steps are document at http://... Thus, the usual
misunderstanding that something is in the public domain,
even though it isn't, do not apply. Yay.

Or even like this:

Copyright: no-one
License: public-domain
This was created by unknown people across unknown aeons, and
changed and updated by lots of more people. It was sung by
medieval bards, and touched by that Shakespeare dude, and
possibly even Mary Queen of Scots. Who knows? Nobody knows,
not even the Shadow knows! There is no evil lurking in the
minds of anyone here.
.
This work is therefore not copyrighted by anyone, and is as
much in the public domain as anything can be. Truly, utterly,
totally. Be happy.

--
Freedom-based blog/wiki/web hosting: http://www.branchable.com/

Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Yaroslav Halchenko

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Russ Allbery wrote:
> License: public-domain
> <insert here the exact wording from upstream explaining why the work is
> in the public domain>

> You do need some sort of statement about why the work is in the public
> domain, since that's a rather unusual status and requires some
> justification (such as that it's a US government work).

or just not copyrightable at all in many jurisdictions (factual data etc.) ;-)

Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Russ Allbery

Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> writes:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> License: public-domain
>> <insert here the exact wording from upstream explaining why the work is
>> in the public domain>

>> You do need some sort of statement about why the work is in the public
>> domain, since that's a rather unusual status and requires some
>> justification (such as that it's a US government work).

> or just not copyrightable at all in many jurisdictions (factual data etc.) ;-)

Yes, but be careful with that. It can't just be "many" jurisdictions; it
has to be all the ones that Debian has to legally care about. There are
things covered by compilation copyright in the US that are not
copyrightable in Europe, for instance, and for those things Debian still
needs a license.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 09:57:15AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> >> License: public-domain
> >> <insert here the exact wording from upstream explaining why the work is
> >> in the public domain>
>
> >> You do need some sort of statement about why the work is in the public
> >> domain, since that's a rather unusual status and requires some
> >> justification (such as that it's a US government work).
>
> > or just not copyrightable at all in many jurisdictions (factual data etc.) ;-)
>
> Yes, but be careful with that. It can't just be "many" jurisdictions; it
> has to be all the ones that Debian has to legally care about.

Furthermore, the goal of DEP5 is not to establish documents that
represent reality in some legally valid way. It is rather to enable us
to automatically parse, and then analyze, license/copyright related
information that we know of. Some motivating examples are spotting ---
or at least narrow down the search for --- license incompatibilities
like SSL + GPL w/o exception, forbidden cases of the GPL compatibility
matrix, etc.

To that end, having a way to mechanically recognize that some code is
(declared as) public domain is useful, no matter how legally imprecise
is to declare something like "License: public-domain".

Cheers.
Quando anche i santi ti voltano le spalle, | . |. I've fans everywhere

Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Dominique Dumont

Since others have replied regarding the content of the DEP-5 file, I'll focus
on DEP-5 parser

On Wednesday 20 July 2011 15:39:09 Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Also, the DEP5 checker has no clue about public-domain as a short
> license either:
>
> $> config-edit -application dpkg-copyright -ui none
> Configuration item 'Files:"scikits/statsmodels/datasets/anes96/anes96.csv
> scikits/statsmodels/datasets/grunfeld/grunfeld.csv
> scikits/statsmodels/datasets/longley/longley.csv
> scikits/statsmodels/datasets/macrodata/macrodata.csv
> scikits/statsmodels/datasets/nile/nile.csv
> scikits/statsmodels/datasets/randhie/randhie.csv
> scikits/statsmodels/datasets/stackloss/stackloss.csv
> scikits/statsmodels/datasets/strikes/strikes.csv
> scikits/statsmodels/datasets/sunspots/sunspots.csv" License short_name'
> has a wrong value: license public-domain is not declared in main License
> section. Expected BSD-3

To satisfy DEP5 model constraints, you need to spell out the terms of the
licence you want to use. Etheir as a "License: public-domain" stand-alone
section or as text in the File section (after the License: line in the file
section).

You can also do it on the command line (with libconfig-model-perl 1.250):

$ config-edit -application dpkg-copyright -ui none -save
'License:"public-domain" text="there should be a good explanation here"'

All the best

Dominique
--
http://config-model.wiki.sourceforge.net/ -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/