Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Ian Campbell

Default kFreeBSD debian-installer in Xen domU

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 14:04 +0000, The Fungi wrote:
> I do in fact run kFreeBSD, and further, I do it within DomU on
> Debian/squeeze i386 Xen Dom0 hosts (though I had to install the root
> FS from the kFreeBSD D-I ISO under QEMU initially and then boot the
> result in Xen).

Producing a Linux d-i image which worked in a domU was reasonably easy
(assuming a suitable kernel flavour exists in the archive), if you are
interested in doing the same for kFreeBSD I'd be more than happy to give
some guidance/pointers etc.

Presumably, given the necessary host hardware support, you could also
have installed as an HVM guest rather than QEMU and subsequently
switched to PV kFreeBSD. I'm not sure if FreeBSD has PV in HVM driver
support or not, I know some of the *BSDs do.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

The superfluous is very necessary.
-- Voltaire

Old 07-20-2011, 05:58 PM
The Fungi

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:04:03AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> Producing a Linux d-i image which worked in a domU was reasonably
> easy (assuming a suitable kernel flavour exists in the archive),
> if you are interested in doing the same for kFreeBSD I'd be more
> than happy to give some guidance/pointers etc.

At the risk of drifting off topic a bit, I expect this would be a
welcomed update to the Xen topic on the kFreeBSD wiki page. Once
it's bootstrapped into a working root FS, the current kernel
packages have sufficient support baked in these days so it's just a
matter of having a working installer now.

> Presumably, given the necessary host hardware support, you could also
> have installed as an HVM guest rather than QEMU and subsequently
> switched to PV kFreeBSD. I'm not sure if FreeBSD has PV in HVM driver
> support or not, I know some of the *BSDs do.

In my current reference implementation, unfortunately not. These
host machines, while consisting of internally highly-redundant
components, employ older Intel Pentium III processors (Compaq
Proliant DL380 G2 series from 8+ years ago).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);

Old 07-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Ian Campbell

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 17:58 +0000, The Fungi wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:04:03AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > Producing a Linux d-i image which worked in a domU was reasonably
> > easy (assuming a suitable kernel flavour exists in the archive),
> > if you are interested in doing the same for kFreeBSD I'd be more
> > than happy to give some guidance/pointers etc.
>
> At the risk of drifting off topic a bit, I expect this would be a
> welcomed update to the Xen topic on the kFreeBSD wiki page. Once
> it's bootstrapped into a working root FS, the current kernel
> packages have sufficient support baked in these days so it's just a
> matter of having a working installer now.

I meant I would help you to add kFreeBSD/xen support to d-i directly.

Step one would be to checkout the necessary bits
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/CheckOut

Then you would need to update kfreebsd-kernel-di-{amd64,i386} to build
udebs for the necessary kernel flavour.

Then you can modify the installer itself to build an image with this new
kernel flavour, e.g. compare installer/build/config/i386/netboot.cfg to
installer/build/config/i386/netboot-xen.cfg on the Linux side and apply
the same ideas to installer/build/config/kfreebsd-i386/netboot.cfg.

debian-boot@ is probably the correct forum to continue this discussion
if you are interested.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

Lots of folks are forced to skimp to support a government that won't.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM
The Fungi

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:19:52AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> I meant I would help you to add kFreeBSD/xen support to d-i
> directly.
[...]

So I gathered--it's much appreciated! I'll give it a try and let
you/d-b know if I run into any issues. Once I get it working, I can
submit the appropriate patches and update the Wiki.

> debian-boot@ is probably the correct forum to continue this
> discussion if you are interested.

Cc'd and MFT set accordingly. I'll pick this up some time in the
next few weeks when I have some spare cycles to burn. Thanks again!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM
The Fungi

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:19:52AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> I meant I would help you to add kFreeBSD/xen support to d-i
> directly.
[...]