Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Michael Meskes

Default scribus(-ng)?

Hi,

could anyone tell me what the difference between scribus and scribus-ng is?
According to the description scribus-ng is the development branch but scribus
itself is a later rc than -ng. Besides it appears to me that the package(s)
could need a little bit of love.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Jabber: michael.meskes at googlemail dot com

Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org> (19/07/2011):
> could anyone tell me what the difference between scribus and scribus-ng is?
> According to the description scribus-ng is the development branch but scribus
> itself is a later rc than -ng. Besides it appears to me that the package(s)
> could need a little bit of love.

Presumably 1.4 is reaching the stable status, so scribus gets 1.4, and
scribus-ng will get 1.5-ish later?

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Michael Meskes

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:58:41AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Presumably 1.4 is reaching the stable status, so scribus gets 1.4, and
> scribus-ng will get 1.5-ish later?

So both are essentially the same package right now? I find it rather confusing
to have two different names and, at least in sid, a stable version newer than
the development next generation one.

Michael

Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Paul Wise

I'm imagining that this is a hack that was added before experimental
existed and that dev versions of scribus should go to experimental
now.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 07-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

On 07/19/2011 03:49 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
> I'm imagining that this is a hack that was added before experimental
> existed and that dev versions of scribus should go to experimental
> now.

If I remember right scribus-ng was in development for a loooongish time while it
was in such a bugfree condition that it could be used without problems at all.
But its a long time ago that I looked into the differences and talked with the
maintainer about it.

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprint: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F

Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 AM
Jonas Smedegaard

On 11-07-19 at 03:49pm, Paul Wise wrote:
> I'm imagining that this is a hack that was added before experimental
> existed and that dev versions of scribus should go to experimental
> now.

In the (relatively recent) past Scribus have had features in its
unstable branch that was beneficial to use for some projects even if
less stable - e.g. without promise of being able to open files later on
which was saved using such version.

So scribus-ng has been beneficial to be available _alongside_ the stable
one, at least for two users of Debian (my girlfriend and me).

I would expect that to be the case for the next round of unstable
development too, and would appreciate keeping both branches.

- Jonas

* Tlf.: +45 40843136 Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

[x] quote me freely [ ] ask before reusing [ ] keep private