Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Martin Eberhard Schauer

Default Improving package descriptions (I)

Hi,

some time ago I read a post of the DPL regarding enhancing package
description
quality. Bug reports from translators should be a means for achieving
this goal.

(quoting from the developer's reference, section 8.4

Best current practice concerning l10n
As a translator, if you find an error in the original text, make sure
to report it.
Translators are often the most attentive readers of a given text, and
if they

don't report the errors they find, nobody will.

Sometimes when beginning a new translation for a package description
being part of Debian for quite some time I encounter descriptions which
I consider faulty/improvable. Does it make sense to report errors
concerning

stable/oldstable when there are more recent descriptions?

Should one use specific tags for the bug reports? If yes, are there
appropriate

ones (debian-i18n, debian-l10n, ...)?

Kind regards,
Martin

P.S: I'm subscribed to the list.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Filipus Klutiero

Hi Martin,

Martin Eberhard Schauer wrote:

Hi,

some time ago I read a post of the DPL regarding enhancing package
description quality. Bug reports from translators should be a means
for achieving this goal.

(quoting from the developer's reference, section 8.4

Best current practice concerning l10n
As a translator, if you find an error in the original text, make sure
to report it. Translators are often the most attentive readers of a
given text, and if they

don't report the errors they find, nobody will.

Sometimes when beginning a new translation for a package description
being part of Debian for quite some time I encounter descriptions which
I consider faulty/improvable. Does it make sense to report errors
concerning

stable/oldstable when there are more recent descriptions?
This depends on the severity of each error and whether the more recent
descriptions correct the error. I encourage you to report issues in
descriptions as early as possible, but the vast majority of errors in
package descriptions have a minor impact from a user POV. If they are
fixed in the development version, there is very little point in
reporting them against the stable version. Even if you report it, it's
unlikely that it will be fixed. For example, fixes of typos are almost
never fixed in stable, let alone oldstable.
Should one use specific tags for the bug reports? If yes, are there
appropriate

ones (debian-i18n, debian-l10n, ...)?
I don't see any tag needed. If the problem applies to the English
version, it's not just a i18n issue. Perhaps you mean translators could
use a tag telling them the description has an issue and it would be more
optimal for them to come back to it later. For that usage a usertag
seems appropriate.