Old 07-11-2011, 02:38 AM
Norbert Preining

Default Help with shared libs and .la and cryptic lintian messages

Hi everyone,

can please someone help me with packaging gwaei, I get some
warnings/errors from lintian I don't udnerstand. The layout as installed
by libtool/configure/make/make install is
In /usr/lib:
libwaei.a
libwaei.la
libwaei.so -> libwaei.so.1.0.0
libwaei.so.1 -> libwaei.so.1.0.0
libwaei.so.1.0.0

Running lintian I get:
W: gwaei: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libwaei1
E: gwaei: non-empty-dependency_libs-in-la-file usr/lib/libwaei.la
W: gwaei: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libwaei.so.1.0.0 usr/lib/libwaei.so

Ok, the first one is like that, I don't want to package this lib
independently, as it is only used by gwaei itself by now.

The second one, the error, is the most cryptic one. The lintian info
is as useful as ...*$&/$...

- N: The in itself .la file may be useful, if the library is loaded
N: dynamically via libltdl.
This is not English, "The in itself ..." ????

- N: Refer to http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval,
N: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01003.html, and
N: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01146.html for details.

First link does not exist
Second link does not exist
Third link is just a warning that bla bla will break multi arch

(bug report already filed against lintian)

Any suggestion what should be done here?

Thanks a lot and all the best

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094

Old 07-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Russ Allbery

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> - N: Refer to http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval,
> N: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01003.html, and
> N: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01146.html for details.

> First link does not exist
> Second link does not exist

Yes, they do, at least for me. Maybe you cut and pasted the comma along
with the rest of the link? Representing links in freeform English text is
always annoying.

> Any suggestion what should be done here?

Package the shared library separately (whether you want to or not, it's
how shared libraries work in Debian; the alternative is to put it in a
non-public directory and use LD_RUN_PATH to find it, but I don't think
it's worth the hassle) and don't install the *.la file at all.

The Lintian tag should now really just say "if this is a new package, just
don't install the *.la file in the first place."

Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Norbert Preining

Hi Russ,

thanks for the answer

On So, 10 Jul 2011, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > First link does not exist
> > Second link does not exist
>
> Yes, they do, at least for me. Maybe you cut and pasted the comma along
> with the rest of the link? Representing links in freeform English text is

hmmm, you are right, I cannot *now* load it but just before it didn't.
I see that the come was selected by the used terminal, grrrr.

> Package the shared library separately (whether you want to or not, it's
> how shared libraries work in Debian; the alternative is to put it in a

Umpf, grmpf, not happy. In former times there was no problem with that...
Is there a policy item stating the shared libs *have* to be
pakacages separately?

> it's worth the hassle) and don't install the *.la file at all.

Ok, so remove it afterward make install

> The Lintian tag should now really just say "if this is a new package, just
> don't install the *.la file in the first place."

Well, it is not a new package, since long in Debian ...

Best wishes

Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 AM
Russ Allbery

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:
> On So, 10 Jul 2011, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> The Lintian tag should now really just say "if this is a new package, just
>> don't install the *.la file in the first place."

> Well, it is not a new package, since long in Debian ...

I was assuming that the library at least was new. If not, you have to
watch out for other packages with *.la files referencing this one, but
since you said that the library is only used by this binary, it shouldn't
be a problem in this case.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Norbert Preining

On So, 10 Jul 2011, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I was assuming that the library at least was new. If not, you have to
> watch out for other packages with *.la files referencing this one, but
> since you said that the library is only used by this binary, it shouldn't
> be a problem in this case.

Ok, thanks for the avice.

If someone here can take a quick look at the packaging I did:
http://www.logic.at/people/preining/debian/gwaei_3.0.0-1.dsc
that would be great. It builds:
gwaei_3.0.0-1_amd64.deb
libwaei1_3.0.0-1_amd64.deb
libwaei-dev_3.0.0-1_amd64.deb

Thanks a lot for any remarks and comments.

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
`... then I decided that I was a lemon for a couple of
weeks. I kept myself amused all that time jumping in and
out of a gin and tonic.'
Arthur cleared his throat, and then did it again.
did you...?'
I found a
small lake that thought it was a gin and tonic, and jumped
in and out of that. At least, I think it thought it was a
gin and tonic.'
`I may,' he addded with a grin which would have sent sane
men scampering into the trees, `have been imagining it.'
--- Ford updating Arthur about what he's been doing for the
--- past four years.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Sune Vuorela

On 2011-07-11, Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:
> can please someone help me with packaging gwaei, I get some
> warnings/errors from lintian I don't udnerstand. The layout as installed
> by libtool/configure/make/make install is
> In /usr/lib:
> libwaei.a
> libwaei.la
> libwaei.so -> libwaei.so.1.0.0
> libwaei.so.1 -> libwaei.so.1.0.0
> libwaei.so.1.0.0
>
> Running lintian I get:
> W: gwaei: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libwaei1
> E: gwaei: non-empty-dependency_libs-in-la-file usr/lib/libwaei.la
> W: gwaei: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/libwaei.so.1.0.0 usr/lib/libwaei.so
>
> Ok, the first one is like that, I don't want to package this lib
> independently, as it is only used by gwaei itself by now.

Make sure that you don't ship
- the .so symlink
- the .a file
- nothing in /usr/lib

if you don't want to package the library independantly, to make sure
that nothing can actually use the library that isn't in the same source
package.

/Sune