Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 AM
"Andrew O. Shadoura"

Default TeX packages

Hello,

Is it possible to run mktexlsr and updmap-sys (and, possibly, other
TeX things) just once when installing or removing packages which need
to run them in postinst/postrm? I've been trying to remove some
not-really-needed latex-cjk-* packages to minimize my old
laptop's system installed size, and the removal process appeared to run
for ages...

--
WBR, Andrew

Old 07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Jon Dowland

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 11:53:17AM +0300, Andrew O. Shadoura wrote:
> Is it possible to run mktexlsr and updmap-sys (and, possibly, other
> TeX things) just once when installing or removing packages which need
> to run them in postinst/postrm? I've been trying to remove some
> not-really-needed latex-cjk-* packages to minimize my old
> laptop's system installed size, and the removal process appeared to run
> for ages...

I think these processes could be moved over to dpkg triggers, it just takes
someone to do the work.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Jan Hauke Rahm

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 01:26:29PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 11:53:17AM +0300, Andrew O. Shadoura wrote:
> > Is it possible to run mktexlsr and updmap-sys (and, possibly, other
> > TeX things) just once when installing or removing packages which need
> > to run them in postinst/postrm? I've been trying to remove some
> > not-really-needed latex-cjk-* packages to minimize my old
> > laptop's system installed size, and the removal process appeared to run
> > for ages...
>
> I think these processes could be moved over to dpkg triggers, it just takes
> someone to do the work.

I think, whatever can be covered by triggers, already is. tex-common has
trigger support for some time now.

Hauke

--
.'`. Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org> www.jhr-online.de
: :' : Debian Developer www.debian.org

Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Jan Hauke Rahm

Old 07-07-2011, 04:43 PM
"John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell"

Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:

Is it possible to run mktexlsr and updmap-sys (and, possibly, other
TeX things) just once when installing or removing packages which need
to run them in postinst/postrm? I've been trying to remove some
not-really-needed latex-cjk-* packages to minimize my old
laptop's system installed size, and the removal process appeared to run
for ages...

I think these processes could be moved over to dpkg triggers, it just takes
someone to do the work.

I think, whatever can be covered by triggers, already is. tex-common has
trigger support for some time now.

Hauke

I'm not a maintainer but I'd say this.

1) you may do as you said by hand the installer won't mind

2) you could adjust the scripts to check for file existence / newer - the pkg install scripts often
have such checks - you can adjust them and it should work fine

3) you could mark effected packages Pre-Depends. however I think your saying each pkg is marked to
auto-update (for q/a reasons). it is simply not list aware, there currently isn't a callback to
rely on (other than a sleeper that waits for completion conditions). I'm unsure if Pre-Depends is
always last on remove / fifo filo I mean.

Hope I helped, John

Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:

Is it possible to run mktexlsr and updmap-sys (and, possibly, other
TeX things) just once when installing or removing packages which need
to run them in postinst/postrm? I've been trying to remove some
not-really-needed latex-cjk-* packages to minimize my old
laptop's system installed size, and the removal process appeared to run
for ages...

I think these processes could be moved over to dpkg triggers, it just takes
someone to do the work.

I think, whatever can be covered by triggers, already is. tex-common has
trigger support for some time now.

Hauke

I'm not a maintainer. I don't see the validity of this response (which I responded to).

RE: the request was reduce triggering and the answer suggested only how to add triggering (while not
saying how the tail end would be detected)

The dpkg-triggers goes beyond being a make(1) compatible process in a very few aspects of it -
doesn't it? A make process would guaruntee order while dpkg-triggers leaves "overwritten" requests
that "may be activated later" in no documented order.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Samuel Thibault

John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell, le Thu 07 Jul 2011 13:16:18 -0400, a écrit :
> Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> >>I think these processes could be moved over to dpkg triggers, it just takes
> >>someone to do the work.
> >
> >I think, whatever can be covered by triggers, already is. tex-common has
> >trigger support for some time now.
>
> I'm not a maintainer. I don't see the validity of this response (which I responded to).

It's completely valid. He believes it's already implemented fully (and I
believe too, actually).

> RE: the request was reduce triggering and the answer suggested only how to
> add triggering (while not saying how the tail end would be detected)

How to add *dpkg* triggering, which is management for triggers, to
factorize them.

Samuel

Old 07-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Norbert Preining

Hi everyone,

I am the one who implemented triggers for tex-common, one of the maintainers.

On Do, 07 Jul 2011, Andrew O. Shadoura wrote:
> Is it possible to run mktexlsr and updmap-sys (and, possibly, other
> TeX things) just once when installing or removing packages which need
> to run them in postinst/postrm? I've been trying to remove some
> not-really-needed latex-cjk-* packages to minimize my old
> laptop's system installed size, and the removal process appeared to run
> for ages...

Can you provide a log showing what went wrong in your case?

On Do, 07 Jul 2011, Jon Dowland wrote:
> I think these processes could be moved over to dpkg triggers, it just takes
> someone to do the work.

As Hauke said, updmap and mktexlsr is already handled by triggers.
And all TeX related packages I know of already use dh_installtex
so they should be using trigger, too.

Sometimes we *have* to run these commands out of trigger sequenece
right in the postinst, esp when formats are concerned.

With TL2011 updmap runs will be *MUCH* faster as we switched to
a perl script that runs in a fraction of the time of the old
shell script.

Best wishes

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094

Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 AM
"Andrew O. Shadoura"

Hello,

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 07:41:15 +0900

> On Do, 07 Jul 2011, Andrew O. Shadoura wrote:
> > Is it possible to run mktexlsr and updmap-sys (and, possibly, other
> > TeX things) just once when installing or removing packages which
> > need to run them in postinst/postrm? I've been trying to remove some
> > not-really-needed latex-cjk-* packages to minimize my old
> > laptop's system installed size, and the removal process appeared to
> > run for ages...

> Can you provide a log showing what went wrong in your case?

Nothing went wrong, it was just doing mktexlsr/updmap-sys after each
package's removal. And no, I have no log, unfortunately

> On Do, 07 Jul 2011, Jon Dowland wrote:
> > I think these processes could be moved over to dpkg triggers, it
> > just takes someone to do the work.

> As Hauke said, updmap and mktexlsr is already handled by triggers.
> And all TeX related packages I know of already use dh_installtex
> so they should be using trigger, too.

> Sometimes we *have* to run these commands out of trigger sequenece
> right in the postinst, esp when formats are concerned.

> With TL2011 updmap runs will be *MUCH* faster as we switched to
> a perl script that runs in a fraction of the time of the old
> shell script.

Well, I think I need to upgrade the packages and to try to reproduce
the situation.

--
WBR, Andrew

Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 PM
"John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell"

Andrew O. Shadoura wrote:

Hello,

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 07:41:15 +0900

[...]

(i'm not a maintainer)

I have 2 hypothesis.

1) your pkgs aren't yet "interested" or "triggered" during removal
maybe the maintainer maybe didn't code logic for remove action
when action is removal. does pre-rm post an I interest ?

2) they did code it but dpkg-trigger is does not have the same logic for removal
as install, maybe "it's no longer on the system" or "not configured" happened.
(ex, did pre-rm or dpkg do something that made triggers logic remove the
the interest from mktexlsr's I list ?)