-   -   ESA Summer of Code in Space 2011 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/548777-esa-summer-code-space-2011-a.html)

Maxime Chatelle 07-06-2011 10:21 AM

ESA Summer of Code in Space 2011

Hi,

This annonce may be interresting. :)
It's a gsoc-like, but by european space agency.

http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/

cheers,
xakz
--
Maxime Chatelle, human from earth, 010001111.cm94IGxvdmVyCg==.kpr
<mchatelle ↯ linux-france ↯ org> <mmyc ↯ gmx ↯ com>

Paul Wise 07-06-2011 10:43 PM

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Maxime Chatelle <mmyc@gmx.com> wrote:

> This annonce may be interresting. :)
> It's a gsoc-like, but by european space agency.
>
> http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/

Does Debian have any space related software?

If so, perhaps the Debian science or gsoc folks are willing to
co-ordinate this?

Please note mentoring program proposals end in 8 days:

http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/?q=timeline

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 07-06-2011 11:12 PM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Maxime Chatelle <mmyc@gmx.com> wrote:
> > This annonce may be interresting. :)
> > It's a gsoc-like, but by european space agency.
> >
> > http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/
>
> Does Debian have any space related software?

Yes.

> If so, perhaps the Debian science or gsoc folks are willing to
> co-ordinate this?
>
> Please note mentoring program proposals end in 8 days:
>
> http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/?q=timeline

There is this:

http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/org_admin_mentor_agreement

3. INDEMNITY

Each participant in the ESA SOCIS (Student or Mentor Organization) shall
indemnify, defend and hold harmless ESA, its subsidiaries and affiliates and
their respective officers, employees and agents, and each of ESA's website
partners from any and all claims, demands, damages, costs and liabilities,
including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or
arising out of that participant's acts or omissions, including claims
arising out of that user's use of the SOCIS Site or participation in the
SOCIS Program; his or her Project Submission, posting or transmission of any
application or code; or his or her violation of these Terms of Service.

So, no go.

Henrique Holschuh

Paul Wise 07-07-2011 06:18 AM

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 20:12 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
> > Does Debian have any space related software?
>
> Yes.

Do you know of any specific packages?

> There is this:
>
> http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/org_admin_mentor_agreement
>
> 3. INDEMNITY
>
> Each participant in the ESA SOCIS (Student or Mentor Organization) shall
> indemnify, defend and hold harmless ESA, its subsidiaries and affiliates and
> their respective officers, employees and agents, and each of ESA's website
> partners from any and all claims, demands, damages, costs and liabilities,
> including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or
> arising out of that participant's acts or omissions, including claims
> arising out of that user's use of the SOCIS Site or participation in the
> SOCIS Program; his or her Project Submission, posting or transmission of any
> application or code; or his or her violation of these Terms of Service.
>
> So, no go.

A similar clause is present in the Google Summer of Code. In fact the
SOCSIS one is a word-for-word copy with s/Google/SOCSIS (wdiff below).

Are you suggesting that Debian should pull out of the Google Summer of
Code? or that it is OK for Debian to also join the SOCSIS?

http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/mentoragmt

3. INDEMNITY

Each participant in the [-Google Summer of Code-] {+ESA SOCIS+} (Student or Mentor Organization) shall
indemnify, defend and hold harmless [-Google Inc. ,-] {+ESA,+} its subsidiaries and affiliates and
their respective officers, employees and agents, and each of [-Google's-] {+ESA's+} website
partners from any and all claims, demands, damages, costs and liabilities,
including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or
arising out of that participant's acts or omissions, including claims
arising out of that user's use of the [-Google Summer of Code-] {+SOCIS+} Site or participation in the [-Google Summer of Code-]

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 07-07-2011 10:41 AM

ESA Summer of Code in Space 2011

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 20:12 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Jul 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
> > > Does Debian have any space related software?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Do you know of any specific packages?

apt-cache shows a lot of them, keywords "orbital", "celestial", "space",
"orbit". And there is also octave and R, plus the numbercrunching
libraries like ATLAS.

> > There is this:
> > http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/org_admin_mentor_agreement
> >
> > 3. INDEMNITY
[..]

> A similar clause is present in the Google Summer of Code. In fact the
> SOCSIS one is a word-for-word copy with s/Google/SOCSIS (wdiff below).

I looked for it before to posting, and didn't manage to find it. My bad.

> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/mentoragmt

> Are you suggesting that Debian should pull out of the Google Summer of
> Code? or that it is OK for Debian to also join the SOCSIS?

Well, ESA can't be a more high-profile target [to patent trolls and
submarine patents] than google. If the DPL and the SPI lawyers are okay
with it for GSOC, I suppose there is no reason to not also join the SOCSIS.

Henrique Holschuh

Ana Guerrero 07-07-2011 11:49 AM

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 07:41:35AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes.
> >
> > Do you know of any specific packages?
>
> apt-cache shows a lot of them, keywords "orbital", "celestial", "space",
> "orbit". And there is also octave and R, plus the numbercrunching
> libraries like ATLAS.

I saw this stuff like 1 week ago [0], but IMHO it isn't very well suited
for what we do in Debian and upstream projects should apply directly.
After all, the code is supposed to go to their repository so you need
to work directly with those upstream and stuff will flow into Debian later.

However:

> > Are you suggesting that Debian should pull out of the Google Summer of
> > Code? or that it is OK for Debian to also join the SOCSIS?
>
> Well, ESA can't be a more high-profile target [to patent trolls and
> submarine patents] than google. If the DPL and the SPI lawyers are okay
> with it for GSOC, I suppose there is no reason to not also join the SOCSIS.

If you think in Debian we have some project that could benefit of this,
please feel free to apply and do all the organization stuff here independently
of the GSoC stuff.

Ana

Ana Guerrero 07-07-2011 11:49 AM

YunQiang Su 07-07-2011 12:43 PM

ESA Summer of Code in Space 2011

Maybe, some Remote Sense software are related with it. These RS
software are maintained by DebianGIS team.

--
YunQiang Su

Andreas Tille 07-07-2011 01:27 PM

ESA Summer of Code in Space 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 07:41:35AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Do you know of any specific packages?
>
> apt-cache shows a lot of them, keywords "orbital", "celestial", "space",
> "orbit". And there is also octave and R, plus the numbercrunching
> libraries like ATLAS.

I'd also like to advertise

http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/astronomy
http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/astronomy-dev

here. Perhaps some packages are missing in the task and should be
added. Any volunteer to check?

> Well, ESA can't be a more high-profile target [to patent trolls and
> submarine patents] than google. If the DPL and the SPI lawyers are okay
> with it for GSOC, I suppose there is no reason to not also join the SOCSIS.

Would be cool

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Andreas Tille 07-07-2011 01:32 PM

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 01:49:18PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:

> If you think in Debian we have some project that could benefit of this,
> please feel free to apply and do all the organization stuff here independently
> of the GSoC stuff.

There might be a chance for a Debian Astronomy Blend (feel free tp find
a better name) as spin-off from Debian Science. In the long run this
could be advertised as an ESA default system. However, this is more
work than just a SoC project and it should be only started if there are
engaged people who want to put some effort into this.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de