FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Tomasz Muras
 
Default Bug#632450: ITP: pmatch -- Duplicate finder and removal tool.

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Tomasz Muras <nexor1984@gmail.com>


* Package name : pmatch
Version : 0.4.0
Upstream Author : Tomasz Muras <nexor1984@gmail.com>
* URL : http://pmatch.rubyforge.org
* License : GPL v3
Programming Lang: Ruby
Description : Duplicate finder and removal tool.

Perfect Match (pmatch) is a command-line utility for finding duplicate files.
It can perform some logic for choosing which duplicate to act on (delete, create
a link or perform any other action).



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110702102736.4069.73793.reportbug@debian-unstable.beton">http://lists.debian.org/20110702102736.4069.73793.reportbug@debian-unstable.beton
 
Old 07-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Thomas Koch
 
Default Bug#632450: ITP: pmatch -- Duplicate finder and removal tool.

Tomasz Muras:
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: Tomasz Muras <nexor1984@gmail.com>
>
>
> * Package name : pmatch
> Version : 0.4.0
> Upstream Author : Tomasz Muras <nexor1984@gmail.com>
> * URL : http://pmatch.rubyforge.org
> * License : GPL v3
> Programming Lang: Ruby
> Description : Duplicate finder and removal tool.
>
> Perfect Match (pmatch) is a command-line utility for finding duplicate
> files. It can perform some logic for choosing which duplicate to act on
> (delete, create a link or perform any other action).

Hi,

we already got the packages fdupes, rdfind, fslint, perforate for this
purpose.[1] And there's a tool called duff[2], not yet packaged for Debian. I
don't think we need another tool for this. And I don't think such basic tools
should be written in a scripting language.

[1] found by axi-cache search duplicate files
[2] http://duff.sourceforge.net/

Thank you however for your initiative to contribute to Debian! If you have any
questions, please just ask.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201107030835.54452.thomas@koch.ro">http://lists.debian.org/201107030835.54452.thomas@koch.ro
 
Old 07-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Tomasz Muras
 
Default Bug#632450: ITP: pmatch -- Duplicate finder and removal tool.

>> Package: wnpp
>> Severity: wishlist
>> Owner: Tomasz Muras <nexor1984@gmail.com>
>>
>>
>> * Package name * *: pmatch
>> * Version * * * * : 0.4.0
>> * Upstream Author : Tomasz Muras <nexor1984@gmail.com>
>> * URL * * * * * * : http://pmatch.rubyforge.org
>> * License * * * * : GPL v3
>> * Programming Lang: Ruby
>> * Description * * : Duplicate finder and removal tool.
>>
>> Perfect Match (pmatch) is a command-line utility for finding duplicate
>> files. It can perform some logic for choosing which duplicate to act on
>> (delete, create a link or perform any other action).
>
> Hi,
>
> we already got the packages fdupes, rdfind, fslint, perforate for this
> purpose.[1] And there's a tool called duff[2], not yet packaged for Debian. I
> don't think we need another tool for this. And I don't think such basic tools
> should be written in a scripting language.
>
> [1] found by axi-cache search duplicate files
> [2] http://duff.sourceforge.net/

To answer this one and comment from Olivier Berger.
fslint is a GUI program, pmatch focuses on CLI functionality.
I covered difference between fdupes (and other) already in my previous
mail, see [1]. The same applies to duff and perforate.
rdfind has similar functionality but it only allows for
differentiating between originals and duplicates via the order of the
arguments. pmatch will allow for "secondary choices". pmatch also
searches for "partial" files, If you're interested in even more
similar application (not necessarily packaged for Debian, see [2]).

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=632450#20
[2] http://pmatch.rubyforge.org/competition.html

Thanks for the comments,
Tomasz Muras


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAAVC7SUmSJ3gLkReQMbf_92=8_anEPK-yZ22mXRPB7QKOVKGjg@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAAVC7SUmSJ3gLkReQMbf_92=8_anEPK-yZ22mXRPB7QKOVKGjg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 07-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Thomas Koch
 
Default Bug#632450: ITP: pmatch -- Duplicate finder and removal tool.

Ok, I didn't see that this ITP already had a discussion. However there are
three minor and subjective issues that I have with this ITP:

- It's not really in the spirit of Open Source of Free Software to start a new
project, if there already are a douzen projects in the same area. If none of
them fits your needs perfectly there should be at least one that could be
extended to your needs instead of starting from scratch.

- It's always better if somebody else beside the upstream author who also
wants a package to be in Debian. In that case there's proof that the package
is at least important for a second person.

- I hate ruby with a passion ... :-)

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201107031302.49036.thomas@koch.ro">http://lists.debian.org/201107031302.49036.thomas@koch.ro
 
Old 07-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
 
Default Bug#632450: ITP: pmatch -- Duplicate finder and removal tool.

On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 13:02 +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Ok, I didn't see that this ITP already had a discussion. However there are
> three minor and subjective issues that I have with this ITP:
>
> - It's not really in the spirit of Open Source of Free Software to start a new
> project, if there already are a douzen projects in the same area. If none of
> them fits your needs perfectly there should be at least one that could be
> extended to your needs instead of starting from scratch.

Many tools (perhaps most FLOSS) start off as toy projects, with the
author not expecting to go far with them. And then they get to the point
where they actually start being useful, even being better than existing
ones. In such a case, you don't really want it thrown away or kept
private right? Imagine that there isn't much motivation (e.g. wrong
language, ugly code, not enough time, too boring) to port back the
features to the older tool.

> - It's always better if somebody else beside the upstream author who also
> wants a package to be in Debian. In that case there's proof that the package
> is at least important for a second person.

What of cases where the package would get wider usage simply for being
available in Debian? I'm not saying all trash should be accepted, I'm
just saying that if, for example, one's own project is their first real
exposure to technical Debian work, why not have them start with what
they want the most for now... package their project for Debian?



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1309743962.25604.15.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1309743962.25604.15.camel@debian
 
Old 07-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
 
Default Bug#632450: ITP: pmatch -- Duplicate finder and removal tool.

On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 08:35 +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
> I don't think we need another tool for this.

Maybe it's better than them in some way (not necessarily overall), which
in my books would make it good enough, meaning *we need another tool for
this*.

> And I don't think such basic tools should be written in a scripting
> language.

If this isn't a joke, it's a real bad reason.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1309744356.25604.21.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1309744356.25604.21.camel@debian
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org