Old 07-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Aurelien Jarno

Default making libc-bin essential

Hi all,

I am contacting debian-devel as per policy, in order to make libc-bin
essential.

Currently libc-bin is virtually essential: a lot of essential packages
depend on libc6 which in turn depends on libc-bin. This package has been
created during the first steps of the multiarch transition two years
ago, and all the binaries have been moved there. Note that libc-bin
doesn't depend on libc6 while it should, in order to avoid recursive
dependencies.

It appears that libc-bin provides a few required POSIX binaries [1],
and should therefore be essential. This would also solve the recursive
dependency between libc6 and libc-bin, and allow for an hypothetical
libc7 transition in the future.

Any comments on that?

Cheers,
Aurelien

[1] getconf, iconv, locale, localedef

--
Aurelien Jarno GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien@aurel32.net http://www.aurel32.net

Old 07-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-07-01 10:31 +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

> Currently libc-bin is virtually essential: a lot of essential packages
> depend on libc6 which in turn depends on libc-bin. This package has been
> created during the first steps of the multiarch transition two years
> ago, and all the binaries have been moved there. Note that libc-bin
> doesn't depend on libc6 while it should, in order to avoid recursive
> dependencies.
>
> It appears that libc-bin provides a few required POSIX binaries [1],
> and should therefore be essential.

That seems right to me.

> This would also solve the recursive
> dependency between libc6 and libc-bin, and allow for an hypothetical
> libc7 transition in the future.

If libc6 were to drop its dependency on libc-bin now, it would be
possible to remove libc-bin after a partial upgrade. Therefore I would
suggest to postpone changing the dependencies until an essential
libc-bin is in stable.

Cheers,
Sven