Old 06-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Keith Packard

Default Multi-Arch .udeb ?

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:54:53 +0100, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
Non-text part: multipart/signed

> It is with excitement and trepidation that I write to you today about the
> status of multiarch support in Debian.

Thanks for the update. I'm afraid I haven't been paying close attention,
but a cursory search didn't uncover any description of what I'm supposed
to do with a .udeb that includes a shared library in our glorious
Multi-Arch world of the future.

I'm assuming that any files destined for /usr/lib should land in the
architecture-specific sub-directory, right?

--
keith.packard@intel.com

Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Steve Langasek

Hi Keith,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 01:02:13PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:54:53 +0100, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> Non-text part: multipart/signed

> > It is with excitement and trepidation that I write to you today about the
> > status of multiarch support in Debian.

> Thanks for the update. I'm afraid I haven't been paying close attention,
> but a cursory search didn't uncover any description of what I'm supposed
> to do with a .udeb that includes a shared library in our glorious
> Multi-Arch world of the future.

> I'm assuming that any files destined for /usr/lib should land in the
> architecture-specific sub-directory, right?

The convention I've adopted so far for udeb-building packages has been to
install libraries in /usr/lib instead of to /usr/lib/$arch. While
/usr/lib/$arch is perfectly findable by ld.so in the installer environment,
and while any plugins still need to be installed to the multiarch path if
you're doing a single build of the source for both .deb and .udeb, I think
it just adds unneeded complexity to use /usr/lib/$arch for shared libraries
in udebs.

Since this is the third time this question has come up, I guess that makes
it a FAQ; added now at
<http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation#udeb_handling>.

BTW, if the package you're asking after happens to be fontconfig, I have a
patch here that I'll be sending on shortly. :-)

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 06-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Keith Packard

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 00:04:23 +0100, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> The convention I've adopted so far for udeb-building packages has been to
> install libraries in /usr/lib instead of to /usr/lib/$arch.

Ok, that makes sense to me. Of course, it's also harder for me to manage
in the package as I'm installing the same library in the .udeb as I do
in the library .deb file. I'll manage.

> BTW, if the package you're asking after happens to be fontconfig, I have a
> patch here that I'll be sending on shortly. :-)

Oddly, it is (the only package I have with a .udeb). I'm running a
multi-arch version of that on this machine and it appears to work
correctly. You can see this at:

git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-freedesktop/fontconfig-debian

--
keith.packard@intel.com

Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Steve Langasek

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 04:31:50PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 00:04:23 +0100, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > The convention I've adopted so far for udeb-building packages has been to
> > install libraries in /usr/lib instead of to /usr/lib/$arch.

> Ok, that makes sense to me. Of course, it's also harder for me to manage
> in the package as I'm installing the same library in the .udeb as I do
> in the library .deb file. I'll manage.

> > BTW, if the package you're asking after happens to be fontconfig, I have a
> > patch here that I'll be sending on shortly. :-)

> Oddly, it is (the only package I have with a .udeb). I'm running a
> multi-arch version of that on this machine and it appears to work
> correctly. You can see this at:

> git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-freedesktop/fontconfig-debian

Yep, looks almost identical to my patch here, with only one difference: the
runtime support packages need to be marked Multi-Arch: foreign in order to
satisfy the dependencies of the multiarch libraries. Attached. (This is
also bug #614208.)

Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Keith Packard

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 08:14:07 +0100, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> Yep, looks almost identical to my patch here, with only one difference: the
> runtime support packages need to be marked Multi-Arch: foreign in order to
> satisfy the dependencies of the multiarch libraries. Attached. (This is
> also bug #614208.)

Then I guess I should mark that as closed then. I've pushed updated
packaging bits; I wouldn't mind if you'd check and make sure they look
right before I upload the resulting package.

--
keith.packard@intel.com

Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Steve Langasek

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 01:40:41AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 08:14:07 +0100, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > Yep, looks almost identical to my patch here, with only one difference: the
> > runtime support packages need to be marked Multi-Arch: foreign in order to
> > satisfy the dependencies of the multiarch libraries. Attached. (This is
> > also bug #614208.)

> Then I guess I should mark that as closed then. I've pushed updated
> packaging bits; I wouldn't mind if you'd check and make sure they look
> right before I upload the resulting package.

Looks perfect, thanks!