Old 06-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Durandal Dokucheyav

Default debian-ppc port for ps3-otheros++

Hello,

I am contacting you guys on behalf of http://gitbrew.org.* We have recently released the otherOS++ firmware for the Sony Playstation 3, allowing the install of third-party OSes on the PS3 once again.* We currently have Debian-PPC running on otherOS++ with full access to RSX/SPE's, and would like to know if you would like to collaborate with us on an official Debian port.* Documentation on the current method of installing Debian can be found at http://wiki.gitbrew.org/index.php/PS3:Linux#Debian and information on PS3:OtherOS++ can be found at http://wiki.gitbrew.org/index.php/PS3:OtherOS++.* Thank you for your time.* I look forward to hearing from someone.* Our developers can be reached either by emailing me at durandal@gitbrew.org or by joining irc.gitbrew.org port 6697 (SSL) and joining #otheros.

Durandal,
gitbrew.org admin

Old 06-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 08:04 -0400, Durandal Dokucheyav wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am contacting you guys on behalf of http://gitbrew.org. We have
> recently released the otherOS++ firmware for the Sony Playstation 3,
> allowing the install of third-party OSes on the PS3 once again. We
> currently have Debian-PPC running on otherOS++ with full access to
> RSX/SPE's, and would like to know if you would like to collaborate
> with us on an official Debian port.

We wouldn't consider this as a distinct port, as the PS3 will run the
same powerpc binaries as we already provide. But I assume there is some
specific hardware support (particularly for the SPEs) that is currently
lacking from our powerpc port, and help on that would surely be welcome.

> Documentation on the current method of installing Debian can be found
> at http://wiki.gitbrew.org/index.php/PS3:Linux#Debian and information
> on PS3:OtherOS++ can be found at
> http://wiki.gitbrew.org/index.php/PS3:OtherOS++.
[...]

These instructions seem to imply that the Debian installer does not work
properly on PS3 at the moment. If you want to work on improving the
installer, the proper list is debian-boot@lists.debian.org.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If more than one person is responsible for a bug, no one is at fault.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Mike Hommey

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:35:08PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 08:04 -0400, Durandal Dokucheyav wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am contacting you guys on behalf of http://gitbrew.org. We have
> > recently released the otherOS++ firmware for the Sony Playstation 3,
> > allowing the install of third-party OSes on the PS3 once again. We
> > currently have Debian-PPC running on otherOS++ with full access to
> > RSX/SPE's, and would like to know if you would like to collaborate
> > with us on an official Debian port.
>
> We wouldn't consider this as a distinct port, as the PS3 will run the
> same powerpc binaries as we already provide. But I assume there is some
> specific hardware support (particularly for the SPEs) that is currently
> lacking from our powerpc port, and help on that would surely be welcome.

There actually *is* a separate port:
http://wiki.debian.org/PowerPCSPEPort

Mike

Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Geert Uytterhoeven

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 07:35, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:35:08PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 08:04 -0400, Durandal Dokucheyav wrote:
>> > I am contacting you guys on behalf of http://gitbrew.org. *We have
>> > recently released the otherOS++ firmware for the Sony Playstation 3,
>> > allowing the install of third-party OSes on the PS3 once again. *We
>> > currently have Debian-PPC running on otherOS++ with full access to
>> > RSX/SPE's, and would like to know if you would like to collaborate
>> > with us on an official Debian port.
>>
>> We wouldn't consider this as a distinct port, as the PS3 will run the
>> same powerpc binaries as we already provide. *But I assume there is some
>> specific hardware support (particularly for the SPEs) that is currently
>> lacking from our powerpc port, and help on that would surely be welcome.
>
> There actually *is* a separate port:
> http://wiki.debian.org/PowerPCSPEPort

That's unrelated.

It's a pity (and cause of confusion) of having SPE mean both "Signal Processing
Extension" (for FreeScale parts) and "Synergistic Processing Element" (for Cell
parts), both in a PowerPC context.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

* * * * * * * * * * * * Geert

Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Neil Williams

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:43:38 +0200
Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 07:35, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> We wouldn't consider this as a distinct port, as the PS3 will run the
> >> same powerpc binaries as we already provide. *But I assume there is some
> >> specific hardware support (particularly for the SPEs) that is currently
> >> lacking from our powerpc port, and help on that would surely be welcome.
> >
> > There actually *is* a separate port:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/PowerPCSPEPort
>
> That's unrelated.
>
> It's a pity (and cause of confusion) of having SPE mean both "Signal Processing
> Extension" (for FreeScale parts) and "Synergistic Processing Element" (for Cell
> parts), both in a PowerPC context.

Disambiguation section added to the wiki page:
http://wiki.debian.org/PowerPCSPEPort#Signal_Processing_Extension

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Geoff Levand

Hi,

On 06/26/2011 02:35 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> We wouldn't consider this as a distinct port, as the PS3 will run the
> same powerpc binaries as we already provide. But I assume there is some
> specific hardware support (particularly for the SPEs) that is currently
> lacking from our powerpc port, and help on that would surely be welcome.

>From what I understand of otherOS++, a kernel update to the PS3 code for
hot plug memory and initrd is needed. Existing powerpc binaries won't
work.

I think the changes needed are just a generalization of the existing
code. Is so, they should be sent to the Linuxppc-dev mailing list.

-Geoff

Old 06-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:03:04AM -0700, Geoff Levand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/26/2011 02:35 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > We wouldn't consider this as a distinct port, as the PS3 will run the
> > same powerpc binaries as we already provide. But I assume there is some
> > specific hardware support (particularly for the SPEs) that is currently
> > lacking from our powerpc port, and help on that would surely be welcome.
>
> From what I understand of otherOS++, a kernel update to the PS3 code for
> hot plug memory and initrd is needed. Existing powerpc binaries won't
> work.

The existing *userland* binaries will work, won't they?

If a special kernel configuration is needed, we would add that as a
'flavour' of the kernel, not a separate architecture.

> I think the changes needed are just a generalization of the existing
> code. Is so, they should be sent to the Linuxppc-dev mailing list.

Right. The Debian kernel team generally does not like to carry
patches forward indefinitely. They should normally be accepted
upstream before we apply them.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 06-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Geoff Levand

Hi Ben,

On 06/27/2011 11:04 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:03:04AM -0700, Geoff Levand wrote:
>
>> From what I understand of otherOS++, a kernel update to the PS3 code for
>> hot plug memory and initrd is needed. Existing powerpc binaries won't
>> work.
>
> The existing *userland* binaries will work, won't they?

Yes, userland binaries will work. I meant the existing
powerpc kernel binaries that work on old PS3 firmware
won't work for this gitbrew otherOS++ thing.

-Geoff

Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Matthias Klose

On 06/26/2011 11:35 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 08:04 -0400, Durandal Dokucheyav wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am contacting you guys on behalf of http://gitbrew.org. We have
>> recently released the otherOS++ firmware for the Sony Playstation 3,
>> allowing the install of third-party OSes on the PS3 once again. We
>> currently have Debian-PPC running on otherOS++ with full access to
>> RSX/SPE's, and would like to know if you would like to collaborate
>> with us on an official Debian port.
>
> We wouldn't consider this as a distinct port, as the PS3 will run the
> same powerpc binaries as we already provide. But I assume there is some
> specific hardware support (particularly for the SPEs) that is currently
> lacking from our powerpc port, and help on that would surely be welcome.

maybe check before communicating wrong things? Both Debian and Ubuntu do ship a
toolchain targeting the SPUs. If something is wrong with it, just file bug reports.

Matthias