Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 PM

Default apt-get update MD5Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/contrib/binary-i386/PackagesIndex MD5Sum mismatch
W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/non-free/binary-i386/PackagesIndex MD5Sum mismatch
W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/experimental/main/binary-i386/PackagesIndex MD5Sum mismatch
W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/PackagesIndex MD5Sum mismatch
Can't be a mirror issue. I'm not using a mirror.
I have an idea. First put each thing and its checksum into a temporary
directory, then when _both_ parts are fully ready, move them into the
staging area for users to download, all with the same mv command too.
That way the window of time for this to happen will effectively be
reduced to zero! What do you say?

Sure you might argue that its only a few times a day and for a few
minutes that this occurs. However since you have more than a handful of
users I think it is high time you correct your algorithm please.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:24 AM

P.S.,
E: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sqlite3/libsqlite3-0_3.7.7-1_i386.deb: 404 Not Found [IP: 35.9.37.225 80]

Old 06-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Samuel Thibault

jidanni@jidanni.org, le Sun 26 Jun 2011 06:01:14 +0800, a écrit :
> W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/contrib/binary-i386/PackagesIndex MD5Sum mismatch
> W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/non-free/binary-i386/PackagesIndex MD5Sum mismatch
> W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/experimental/main/binary-i386/PackagesIndex MD5Sum mismatch
> W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/PackagesIndex MD5Sum mismatch
> Can't be a mirror issue. I'm not using a mirror.

ftp.us.debian.org is a mirror. Which is probably using old scripts.

Samuel

Old 06-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Erik de Castro Lopo

Samuel Thibault wrote:

> jidanni@jidanni.org, le Sun 26 Jun 2011 06:01:14 +0800, a écrit :
> > Can't be a mirror issue. I'm not using a mirror.
>
> ftp.us.debian.org is a mirror. Which is probably using old scripts.

Do you have a link to something that explains this problem and where
the updated scripts are located so I can forward that to my ISP?

Cheers,
Erik

Old 06-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Samuel Thibault

Erik de Castro Lopo, le Sun 26 Jun 2011 11:37:29 +1000, a écrit :
> Samuel Thibault wrote:
>
> > jidanni@jidanni.org, le Sun 26 Jun 2011 06:01:14 +0800, a écrit :
> > > Can't be a mirror issue. I'm not using a mirror.
> >
> > ftp.us.debian.org is a mirror. Which is probably using old scripts.
>
> Do you have a link to something that explains this problem and where
> the updated scripts are located so I can forward that to my ISP?

Nothing to do with your ISP, it's ftp.us.debian.org which has a problem.

Samuel

Old 06-26-2011, 02:06 AM
Albrecht Mann

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 03:43:19 +0200
Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:

> Erik de Castro Lopo, le Sun 26 Jun 2011 11:37:29 +1000, a écrit :
> > Samuel Thibault wrote:

> > > ftp.us.debian.org is a mirror. Which is probably using old
> > > scripts.
> >
> > Do you have a link to something that explains this problem and where
> > the updated scripts are located so I can forward that to my ISP?
>
> Nothing to do with your ISP, it's ftp.us.debian.org which has a
> problem.

Nothing to do with ftp.us.d.o either I would recon.

This issue has cropped up in IRC a few times today^Wyesterday.
And when it happened, switching mirrors apparently didn't help.

It might have had something to do with the 6.0.2 release, but that's
speculation on my part.

Using apt-get instead of aptitude helped in at least one case.
Cleaning apt cache, if necessary manually, might be a solution.

--
nyov

[#debian] < little> nyov u r legend man :P

Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 AM
Albrecht Mann

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:24:50 +0800
jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> Can't be a mirror issue. I'm not using a mirror.

Yes you are.

> I have an idea. First put each thing and its checksum into a temporary
> directory, then when _both_ parts are fully ready, move them into the
> staging area for users to download, all with the same mv command too.
> That way the window of time for this to happen will effectively be
> reduced to zero! What do you say?

This is how the official mirror scripts work.
Though it's a bit more sophisticated than that.

> P.S.,
> E: Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sqlite3/libsqlite3-0_3.7.7-1_i386.deb:
> 404 Not Found [IP: 35.9.37.225 80]

This is because you haven't successfully updated the Release files first
and this package has been removed from the mirror in the meantime.

--
nyov

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
boxing.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:51 AM

>> Can't be a mirror issue. I'm not using a mirror.
AM> Yes you are.
OK, psst... tell me the root URL, I promise I will only use it for
testing. (Hmmm, that's what I told the .TW mirror before I ditched him,
so better not tell me.)
>> E: Failed to fetch
>> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sqlite3/libsqlite3-0_3.7.7-1_i386.deb:
>> 404 Not Found [IP: 35.9.37.225 80]
AM> This is because you haven't successfully updated the Release files first
AM> and this package has been removed from the mirror in the meantime.
Well they removed it and then put it back
$ HEAD -P http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sqlite3/libsqlite3-0_3.7.7-1_i386.deb
200 OK
$ HEAD -P http://35.9.37.225/debian/pool/main/s/sqlite3/libsqlite3-0_3.7.7-1_i386.deb
200 OK
So they must be using some quite fancy algorithms.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Erik de Castro Lopo

Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Erik de Castro Lopo, le Sun 26 Jun 2011 11:37:29 +1000, a écrit :
> > Samuel Thibault wrote:

> > > ftp.us.debian.org is a mirror. Which is probably using old scripts.
> >
> > Do you have a link to something that explains this problem and where
> > the updated scripts are located so I can forward that to my ISP?
>
> Nothing to do with your ISP, it's ftp.us.debian.org which has a problem.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit.

I use my ISP's debian mirror because its not counted in my download
allowance (net access here in .au is rather expensive).

A little while ago someone on this list (I think) mentioned that
there was an updated mirror script that leads to less of these
"MS5Sum mismatch" error than the older version of that script.

I am looking for information on this updated mirror script. Unfortunately
google search results are swamped in noise.

Erik

Old 06-26-2011, 05:45 AM
Paul Wise

http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror#how