Old 06-22-2011, 03:33 AM
YunQiang Su

Default Whether should grub2 write MBR automatic

When update to grub-pc 1.99-8, it write my MBR, then I report a bug.

and Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> tell me that it's a new feature.
Y, it maybe, he tell to install grub-pc-bin only, but this package has
no kernel hook even.

Here is my suggestion:
make 3 packages:
one calls upgrade-grub and grub-install;
one calls only upgrade-grub.
one calls nothing.
and, the second one should be the default.

Don't do it like M$.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 11:33 +0800, YunQiang Su wrote:
> When update to grub-pc 1.99-8, it write my MBR, then I report a bug.

> and Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> tell me that it's a new feature.
> Y, it maybe, he tell to install grub-pc-bin only, but this package has
> no kernel hook even.
>
> Here is my suggestion:
> make 3 packages:
> one calls upgrade-grub and grub-install;
> one calls only upgrade-grub.
> one calls nothing.
> and, the second one should be the default.

More packages means more user confusion. And the first behaviour is
definitely the correct default, as installing a boot loader package
almost always means you want to install the boot loader in the boot
sector.

What is your use case for the second behaviour?

> Don't do it like M$.

Oh, grow up.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I'm always amazed by the number of people who take up solipsism because

Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Aron Xu

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:07, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> More packages means more user confusion. *And the first behaviour is
> definitely the correct default, as installing a boot loader package
> almost always means you want to install the boot loader in the boot
> sector.
>
> What is your use case for the second behaviour?

grub-pc will write MBR every time when triggered, and grub-pc-bin will
not update grub entry after the kernel is updated. - It is weird when
you have grub installed to an alternative place, then you upgrade a
package and it write MBR regardless what you have chosen before. Write
MBR when it is being installed for the first time is the right way,
but it should not force user to write MBR when he has said no.

Aron Xu

Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 AM
YunQiang Su

> On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 11:33 +0800, YunQiang Su wrote:
>> When update to grub-pc 1.99-8, it write my MBR, then I report a bug.

>> and Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> tell me that it's a new feature.
>> Y, it maybe, he tell to install grub-pc-bin only, but this package has
>> no kernel hook even.
>>
>> Here is my suggestion:
>> make 3 packages:
>> one calls upgrade-grub and grub-install;
>> one calls only upgrade-grub.
>> one calls nothing.
>> and, the second one should be the default.
>
> More packages means more user confusion. And the first behaviour is
> definitely the correct default, as installing a boot loader package
> almost always means you want to install the boot loader in the boot
> sector.
>
> What is your use case for the second behaviour?

The second behavior means that: when update/reinstall grub or
update/install/reinstall kernel will call update-grub but not call
grub-install.
>> Don't do it like M$.
>
> Oh, grow up.

Even M$ will not write MBR when update software.
We do much worse than any other OS.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Yves-Alexis Perez

On mer., 2011-06-22 at 14:10 +0800, YunQiang Su wrote:
> > What is your use case for the second behaviour?
> >
> The second behavior means that: when update/reinstall grub or
> update/install/reinstall kernel will call update-grub but not call
> grub-install.

Let me rephrase what Ben asked: why do you need that?

Yves-Alexis

Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Yves-Alexis Perez

On mer., 2011-06-22 at 14:06 +0800, Aron Xu wrote:
> > What is your use case for the second behaviour?
> >

> grub-pc will write MBR every time when triggered, and grub-pc-bin will
> not update grub entry after the kernel is updated. - It is weird when
> you have grub installed to an alternative place, then you upgrade a
> package and it write MBR regardless what you have chosen before. Write
> MBR when it is being installed for the first time is the right way,
> but it should not force user to write MBR when he has said no.

Maybe what needs to be fixed is grub not writing to your “alternative
place”?

Yves-Alexis

Old 06-22-2011, 06:26 AM
YunQiang Su

> Maybe what needs to be fixed is grub not writing to your “alternative
> place”?

now I installed one Debian Sid/Experimental and an Ubuntu 11.10.
I perfer Debian to take control my MBR.

But once upgrade Ubuntu, the MBR is taken place, and once then upgrade
Debian, it's back.

I hate this behavior.

I believe that the MBR must be taken control by users.

--
YunQiang Su

Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 22 iun 11, 14:06:13, Aron Xu wrote:

> grub-pc will write MBR every time when triggered, and grub-pc-bin will
> not update grub entry after the kernel is updated. - It is weird when
> you have grub installed to an alternative place, then you upgrade a
> package and it write MBR regardless what you have chosen before. Write
> MBR when it is being installed for the first time is the right way,
> but it should not force user to write MBR when he has said no.

Did you? Try 'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc'

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 AM
YunQiang Su

> Did you? Try 'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc'

yes it works. BUT:

When installing, user will usually install grub in MBR or they have no
choice to set it when install (install from LiveCD).

and I can not find out any necessity to run grub-install every time.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Fabian Greffrath

The second behavior means that: when update/reinstall grub or
update/install/reinstall kernel will call update-grub but not call
grub-install.

What if the updated grub is incompatible with the bootloader installed
by a previous version of grub?