-   -   Fading away an old ABI transition (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/541553-fading-away-old-abi-transition.html)

Vincent Bernat 06-19-2011 01:47 PM

Fading away an old ABI transition

Hi!

I maintain libsmi2 which ships libsmi2ldbl binary package which is the
result of a transition started more than four years ago. I am wondering
if I should do something to get rid of the "ldbl" prefix? Should I make
a transition package (which means keeping it until wheezy is out)?
Should I organize a mini transition of my own (there is only a handful
reverse dependencies and all of them could just get a binary rebuild)?
Or is it better to keep this prefix until a new major version (unlikely
to happen)?

Thanks.
--
Vincent Bernat ☯ http://www.luffy.cx

prom_printf("Detected PenguinPages, getting out of here.
");
2.0.38 /usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/mm/srmmu.c

Julien Cristau 06-19-2011 02:20 PM

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 15:47:07 +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I maintain libsmi2 which ships libsmi2ldbl binary package which is the
> result of a transition started more than four years ago. I am wondering
> if I should do something to get rid of the "ldbl" prefix? Should I make

No. Just leave it be.

Cheers,
Julien

Peter Samuelson 06-19-2011 08:38 PM

Fading away an old ABI transition

[Vincent Bernat]
> Or is it better to keep this prefix until a new major version
> (unlikely to happen)?

Maybe ask the maintainers of the 'zlib1g' package for advice. That 'g'
suffix is from an ABI transition in September 1997.

(:

In all seriousness, Julien is right - this is not worth a package
transition. Just wait for the next ABI bump. And if there never is
one, oh well.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

Vincent Bernat 06-20-2011 06:02 AM

Fading away an old ABI transition

OoO En cette soirée bien amorcée du dimanche 19 juin 2011, vers 22:38,
Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> disait*:

>> Or is it better to keep this prefix until a new major version
>> (unlikely to happen)?

> Maybe ask the maintainers of the 'zlib1g' package for advice. That 'g'
> suffix is from an ABI transition in September 1997.

> (:

> In all seriousness, Julien is right - this is not worth a package
> transition. Just wait for the next ABI bump. And if there never is
> one, oh well.

Good to know. Since there is almost no "ldbl" package left, I was afraid
I have missed something about those ABI transitions. I will watch
zlib1g and I understand that as soon as the "g" suffix is dropped, I
have ten years to drop mine. ;-)
--
Vincent Bernat ☯ http://www.luffy.cx

# Okay, what on Earth is this one supposed to be used for?
2.4.0 linux/drivers/char/cp437.uni