Old 06-18-2011, 07:46 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default kernel module i915 - 3d-acceleration missing after update

Dear developers,

after an update, I discovered, that 3d-acceleration for the kernel-module was
gone. I examined the logfiles and discovered an error, that the file

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/i915_dri.so

as well as

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so

could not be found. This was correct, as the directories were not existent at
all.

Solution:
As "apt-file search i386-linux-gnu" did not show any package with this content,
I added the directories manually and created some symlinks to i915_dri.so and
swrast_dri.so pointing to the files /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so and
/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so.

Noiw it is working well again.

I think, this a bug, but I do not know, which package is responsible for this.
Maybe someone, who knows better, might be able to fix it or file a bugreport.

Thank you for reading this.

Nice weekend!

Hans

Old 06-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Hi.

Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> (18/06/2011):
> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/i915_dri.so
> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
>
> Solution:
> As "apt-file search i386-linux-gnu" did not show any package with this content,
> I added the directories manually and created some symlinks to i915_dri.so and
> swrast_dri.so pointing to the files /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so and
> /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so.

Don't do that.

> I think, this a bug, but I do not know, which package is responsible for this.
> Maybe someone, who knows better, might be able to fix it or file a bugreport.

Clearly you didn't search for i915_dri.so or swrast_dri.so, which would
have given the answer trivially. (And cFWIW, we have bugs for that
already.) That's a matter which has been communicated upon [1,2]. And
well, when it comes to X, [3] applies (instead of mailing dd@…).

1. http://blog.mraw.org/2011/06/14/mesa_a_disturbance_in_the_Force/
2. http://blog.mraw.org/2011/06/18/mesa_a_disturbance_in_the_Force/
3. http://pkg-xorg.alioth.debian.org/howto/report-bugs.html

Hope this helps.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

> Clearly you didn't search for i915_dri.so or swrast_dri.so, which would
> have given the answer trivially. (And cFWIW, we have bugs for that
> already.) That's a matter which has been communicated upon [1,2]. And
> well, when it comes to X, [3] applies (instead of mailing dd@…).
>
> 1. http://blog.mraw.org/2011/06/14/mesa_a_disturbance_in_the_Force/
> 2. http://blog.mraw.org/2011/06/18/mesa_a_disturbance_in_the_Force/
> 3. http://pkg-xorg.alioth.debian.org/howto/report-bugs.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Mraw,
> KiBi.

Well, I thought the problem is not related to i915, as this is part of the
kernel, and I did not change the kernel. It was xserver-xorg-core, which was
updated. Additionally I was unsure, if this was really a bug, so I just
intended to remark this strange behaviour, targeted to developers, as IMO they
are the only ones which know, what they changed.

The further discussion will be continued at debian-user or debian-eeepc.

Best regards

Hans

Old 06-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> (18/06/2011):
> Well, I thought the problem is not related to i915, as this is part of
> the kernel, and I did not change the kernel.

Just to clarify: You mentioned a .so, not a .ko; there are i915 bits in
the kernel, and in userspace; in this case, this is about userspace.

Mraw,
KiBi.