Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Benjamin Drung

Default packaging-dev 0.1 in unstable

Hi,

packaging-dev 0.1 is now available in Debian unstable. If you think that
it misses a dependency or recommends, file a bug or discuss it on this
mailing list. I like to see these kind of discussions:

A: I am new to packaging. How do I get started?
B: Install packaging-dev and then ...!

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer

Old 06-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Peter Samuelson

[Benjamin Drung]
> packaging-dev 0.1 is now available in Debian unstable. If you think that
> it misses a dependency or recommends, file a bug or discuss it on this
> mailing list. I like to see these kind of discussions:
>
> A: I am new to packaging. How do I get started?
> B: Install packaging-dev and then ...!

More power to you and your users, but if you're _truly_ new to Debian
packaging, installing the appropriate packges is the very very very
very very least of your concerns. I would see a "Install packaging-dev
and then..." answer as equivalent to those tutorials that tell you to
"./configure && make && sudo make install" as a single line to paste
into your shell. Sure, when it works it works, but if the goal is to
convey any sort of understanding of what one is doing ... it really
doesn't. Better, IMO, to know what tools you need and why, not just
"install packaging-dev".
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

Old 06-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Yaroslav Halchenko

imho it should depend on Lucas's packaging-tutorial and then

apt-get install packaging-dev
okular /usr/share/doc/packaging-tutorial/packaging-tutorial.pdf

NB could anyone remind me what is that generic dispatcher to display
various files? I remember there is something but shame on me, can't
recall

Old 06-18-2011, 01:57 AM
Vincent Cheng

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko
<debian@onerussian.com> wrote:
> imho it should depend on Lucas's packaging-tutorial and then
>
> apt-get install packaging-dev
> okular /usr/share/doc/packaging-tutorial/packaging-tutorial.pdf
>
> NB could anyone remind me what is that generic dispatcher to display
> * various files? *I remember there is something but shame on me, can't
> * recall

xdg-open?

If you're going to include Lucas' tutorial, I suggest recommending it
instead of depending on it (developers-reference and debian-policy are
both recommended by packaging-dev, not depends).

Kind regards,
- Vincent Cheng