Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Steve Langasek

Default non-standard-dir-perm lintian warning for 2755

Hi Adam,

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 07:38:55AM -0700, Adam Lewenberg wrote:
> I am getting this warning when running lintian (version 2.4.3):

> non-standard-dir-perm var/cache/project/ 2775 != 0755

> N:
> N: The directory has a mode different from 0755, and it's not one of the
> N: known exceptions.
> N:
> N: Refer to Debian Policy Manual section 10.9 (Permissions and
> owners) for
> N: details.
> N:
> N: Severity: normal, Certainty: possible
> N:

> However, when I look at the referenced section of the Debian Policy
> Manual it says (in part): "Directories should be mode 755 or (for
> group-writability) mode 2775."

> So why is lintian complaining?

Because it's not a "standard" directory mode, and warns about it in case
this was done in error. If it's intentional, you can document this with a
lintian override in the package.

Cheers,
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org