-   -   Rolling release prototype (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/535188-rolling-release-prototype.html)

Josselin Mouette 06-04-2011 11:31 PM

Rolling release prototype

Hi,

I have prepared a quick and dirty implementation for my rolling release
proposal[1]. I don’t think there is any need to make it cleaner; once we
have convinced the FTP masters to include it in dak, the implementation
will be trivial anyway (dak only needs a packages/archs/versions list).

The APT lines you need are the following:
deb http://your.favorite.mirror/ testing main contrib non-free
deb http://rolling.debian.net/ rolling main contrib non-free
You will also need the temporary archive key[2].

The suite has been codenamed bob[3]. Thanks Martin Bagge for the idea.

Don’t rush! Currently the rolling archive is empty. The first task is to
fill it. Therefore I’m now looking for people who are running testing on
their machines. The idea is to find which major bugs and usability
issues happen in testing, and to prove that the rolling concept
effectively makes the machines usable without a need for manual
intervention. Another good start is probably the list of RC bugs that
are fixed in unstable but not in testing.

We’ll probably also need a mailing list. I’d like to have
debian-rolling@l.d.o, but I don’t know whether listmasters will accept
it until this is an official project.

Once we have a regular flow of updates, I’ll be looking for better
hosting for a large-scale experiment, which should hopefully be the last
step before inclusion in the official archive.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/1304511852.9090.85.camel@pi0307572
[2] http://rolling.debian.net/debian-rolling.key
[3] http://pixar.wikia.com/Roller_Bob

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Raphael Hertzog 06-05-2011 08:31 AM

Rolling release prototype

Hi Josselin,

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> I have prepared a quick and dirty implementation for my rolling release
> proposal[1].

Where are the sources ? :)

> The APT lines you need are the following:
> deb http://your.favorite.mirror/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb http://rolling.debian.net/ rolling main contrib non-free
> You will also need the temporary archive key[2].

I would like to see rolling a full suite and not an overlay of testing.

For the experiment it's fine (in particular to not overload your server),
but we should be able to switch to a full suite when integrated on
ftp-master.debian.org.

(I'm willing to contribute the required code if necessary.)

> The suite has been codenamed bob[3]. Thanks Martin Bagge for the idea.
>
> Don’t rush! Currently the rolling archive is empty. The first task is to
> fill it. Therefore I’m now looking for people who are running testing on
> their machines. The idea is to find which major bugs and usability
> issues happen in testing, and to prove that the rolling concept
> effectively makes the machines usable without a need for manual
> intervention. Another good start is probably the list of RC bugs that
> are fixed in unstable but not in testing.

http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi?release=wheezy_not_sid&merged=ign&done=on ly&fnewerval=7&rc=1&sortby=popcon&sorto=desc

Some interesting candidates could be:
- fuse: security issues fixed in unstable
- digikam: fix a crasher (might be blocked by dependencies)
- libvirt: security issues fixed in unstable

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)

Josselin Mouette 06-05-2011 11:59 AM

Rolling release prototype

Le dimanche 05 juin 2011 * 10:31 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> Where are the sources ? :)

I’m somehow ashamed to share such crappy code, but it’s on
ries:/home/joss/rolling/make_rolling.py

> > The APT lines you need are the following:
> > deb http://your.favorite.mirror/ testing main contrib non-free
> > deb http://rolling.debian.net/ rolling main contrib non-free
> > You will also need the temporary archive key[2].
>
> I would like to see rolling a full suite and not an overlay of testing.
>
> For the experiment it's fine (in particular to not overload your server),
> but we should be able to switch to a full suite when integrated on
> ftp-master.debian.org.

Yes, once we use the same dak instance as testing and unstable, it
should be trivial. This is why I haven’t bothered with the cleanness of
the archive generation code.

> http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi?release=wheezy_not_sid&merged=ign&done=on ly&fnewerval=7&rc=1&sortby=popcon&sorto=desc
>
> Some interesting candidates could be:
> - fuse: security issues fixed in unstable
> - digikam: fix a crasher (might be blocked by dependencies)
> - libvirt: security issues fixed in unstable

I’m not sure the digikam bug really affects testing. And even if it did,
this would mandate a t-p-u upload instead.

Still, I’ve added it as a proof of concept, since it shows the limits of
the fully manual implementation.

So on one hand we need some kind of automation, on the other one I don’t
think bringing automatically the dependencies for a given package is a
good idea. What we need is a tool to explain which dependencies are
needed to bring in a given package, but still requiring to add them
manually in the override file. I guess APT might be the correct tool to
do that.

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Aurelien Jarno 06-05-2011 12:59 PM

Rolling release prototype

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 01:59:57PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 05 juin 2011 * 10:31 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > Where are the sources ? :)
>
> I’m somehow ashamed to share such crappy code, but it’s on
> ries:/home/joss/rolling/make_rolling.py
>
> > > The APT lines you need are the following:
> > > deb http://your.favorite.mirror/ testing main contrib non-free
> > > deb http://rolling.debian.net/ rolling main contrib non-free
> > > You will also need the temporary archive key[2].
> >
> > I would like to see rolling a full suite and not an overlay of testing.
> >
> > For the experiment it's fine (in particular to not overload your server),
> > but we should be able to switch to a full suite when integrated on
> > ftp-master.debian.org.
>
> Yes, once we use the same dak instance as testing and unstable, it
> should be trivial. This is why I haven’t bothered with the cleanness of
> the archive generation code.
>
> > http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi?release=wheezy_not_sid&merged=ign&done=on ly&fnewerval=7&rc=1&sortby=popcon&sorto=desc
> >
> > Some interesting candidates could be:
> > - fuse: security issues fixed in unstable
> > - digikam: fix a crasher (might be blocked by dependencies)
> > - libvirt: security issues fixed in unstable
>
> I’m not sure the digikam bug really affects testing. And even if it did,
> this would mandate a t-p-u upload instead.

Or even a s-p-u upload. According to the date and version it also
affects Squeeze... Looks like the problem is deeper, and fixing it
through a rolling distribution is probably the wrong answer.

--
Aurelien Jarno GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien@aurel32.net http://www.aurel32.net

Ben Hutchings 06-05-2011 04:49 PM

Rolling release prototype

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 10:31 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi Josselin,
>
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011, Josselin Mouette wrote:
[...]
> > Don’t rush! Currently the rolling archive is empty. The first task is to
> > fill it. Therefore I’m now looking for people who are running testing on
> > their machines. The idea is to find which major bugs and usability
> > issues happen in testing, and to prove that the rolling concept
> > effectively makes the machines usable without a need for manual
> > intervention. Another good start is probably the list of RC bugs that
> > are fixed in unstable but not in testing.
>
> http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi?release=wheezy_not_sid&merged=ign&done=on ly&fnewerval=7&rc=1&sortby=popcon&sorto=desc
>
> Some interesting candidates could be:
> - fuse: security issues fixed in unstable
> - digikam: fix a crasher (might be blocked by dependencies)
> - libvirt: security issues fixed in unstable

linux-2.6 (plus linux-kbuild-2.6, linux-latest-2.6):
security issues fixed in unstable: CVE-2011-1748, CVE-2011-1759,
CVE-2011-1581, CVE-2011-1770, CVE-2011-1776, CVE-2011-1927

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings