Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Steve Langasek

Default Uploading to multiple distros

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 05:55:18PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Peter Samuelson writes ("Re: Uploading to multiple distros"):
> > Since syncs from Debian are actually supposed to be the majority of
> > packages in Ubuntu anyway, why not just do that - a real sync, not a
> > fake simultaneous one. [...]

> Because that means that the Ubuntu developer needs to wait for Debian
> to process the upload (which may involve waiting for NEW or other kind
> of approvals).

Ubuntu policy on package versioning holds that you shouldn't upload such a
package to Ubuntu before it's been approved into Debian *anyway*, lest you
end up with the package rejected in Debian and two different source packages
with the same version number in Debian vs. Ubuntu...

> > I suppose you mean put that functionality into this syncpackage thing.
> > Because otherwise you're still going to need to run dpkg-genchanges
> > twice, once presumably by hand with some sort of suite override switch,
> > and that does rather break the abstractions of debian/rules, debhelper,
> > and the like.

> dpkg-buildpackage could run dpkg-genchanges as many times as there
> were target suites.

To upload to both Debian and Ubuntu, it would also have to pass different
options since Ubuntu accepts only source uploads and Debian does not accept
source-only uploads.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org