Old 06-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Matt Zimmerman

Default Uploading to multiple distros

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 01:54:37PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Iain Lane writes ("Re: Uploading to multiple distros"):
> > For "normal" syncs we generally advise not using syncpackage, but it
> > might make sense when doing simultaneous uploads.
>
> Hrm. So syncpackage generates a .changes for uploading to ubuntu from
> the .dsc (which presumably came out of the Debian build). That does
> mean though that the Ubuntu target suite is not visible in the
> changelog of the ultimate Ubuntu package.

That's true for most Ubuntu packages anyway, since the source packages are
copied unmodified from Debian. We've accepted this since the beginning, as
it's certainly not worth modifying the package just to have this be correct.

It's similar to how in Debian, the changelog says the package was uploaded
to unstable but now it's in testing or stable having propagated there
unmodified.

> And if the package is not accepted into the Debian archive for any reason,
> the changelog is very misleading because it looks like a sync from Debian.

True, but perhaps harmless.

> > This at least works when uploading packages prepared for Debian to
> > Ubuntu. I'm not sure how well Debian's infrastructure would cope if the
> > changelog specifies an Ubuntu release.
>
> Debian's archive tools don't look at the changelog either, I think.
> But the .changes file is generated from it. Both Debian and Ubuntu
> will reject a .changes file containing unrecognised suites.
>
> One way to enable simultaneous uploads would be to arrange for
> dpkg-genchanges to filter out suites for "other" distros when
> generating the .changes file. Then you would have the same files
> being uploaded but two different .changes files.

Yes, it seems like it would be straightforward enough to generate two
appropriate .changes files for this case, and it would do the right thing.

--
- mdz

Old 06-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Dustin Kirkland

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Ian Jackson
<ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> One thing I have done a few times is to upload the very same package
> simultaneously to (say) Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> Where the package wants to be identical, and the person doing the
> upload is the same, it would be nice if this could be made simpler.
> At the moment you basically need to build the whole thing twice with
> minor edits to the changelog to set the target suite.
>
> It would be nice if this could be made simpler. *In principle it would
> be nice if you could use the same .changes file for uploading to two
> distros (provided that only one of them wants binaries) but that may
> be too much to ask.
>
> At the very least it should be possible to do one upload to two
> distros without altering the debian/changelog.

I handle this using a set of scripts in Ubuntu's bikeshed package:
* http://manpg.es/release-build
* http://manpg.es/release

'release-build' builds me one binary package, which I test locally,
and gives me instructions on what to do next, if I want to proceed
with the upstream release and upload to a bunch of different places
simultaneously. It also builds source packages for each of the
supported Ubuntu releases. If my testing goes well, I'm informed to
run the 'release' command.

'release' then does a handful of things (like tagging the release,
bumping and opening the next version), and prints a series of commands
that I run manually, if I want to actually do the release (such as the
bzr push to the trunk, lp-project-upload to put the tarball on
Launchpad, dput of the backport changes file to that package's PPA,
and dput to Ubuntu Oneiric). (If I had Debian Maintainer privileges,
I'd also simultaneously dput to Debian too). I just used
release-test, release-build, and release to publish bikeshed-1.15, and
captured its log here:
* http://paste.ubuntu.com/616969/

These helpers allow me to consistently release dozens of open source
projects simultaneously to the current development series of Ubuntu,
but also publish "backports" to PPAs of that same package for
Lucid/Maverick/Natty. They keep me from making many of the most
common mistakes and allow me to upload pretty effortlessly.

These scripts are a little Ubuntu/Launchpad/Bzr specific, so I'm not
advocating their use to you (Debian), but acknowledging and supporting
Ian's suggestion to solve some duplication of effort!

--
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Ubuntu Core Developer

Old 06-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Barry Warsaw

On Jun 02, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Peter Samuelson wrote:

>Since syncs from Debian are actually supposed to be the majority of
>packages in Ubuntu anyway, why not just do that - a real sync, not a
>fake simultaneous one. I don't live in the Ubuntu dev universe, but
>given how common of an operation this apparently is, I'd think the
>tool(s) to do it would be mature and easy to use. Sure, you have to
>wait a few minutes until you get your ACCEPTED mail from dak, but what
>of it? The mail is your reminder to finish the job.

How can we help Ubuntu developers do the right thing? Are there tools,
processes, or documentation that we can develop that would make it easy(er)
for someone who works on an Ubuntu machine, is well versed in Ubuntu culture
(processes, tools, etc), to integrate with Debian?

-Barry

Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Andres Rodriguez

I handle this using a set of scripts in Ubuntu's bikeshed package:

** http://manpg.es/release-build

** http://manpg.es/release
+1! I have been using these scripts extensively to do my releases, and preparing the packages to upload them into the archive or PPA's.*Specifically*for TestDrive and PowerNap. A common example is PowerNap, on which I use these scripts to prepare a release, test it, and once I'm satisfied, I upload them to the PPA's without having to do manual modifications to the changelogs and being able to easily release a backport in PPA for PowerNap.

These scripts are a little Ubuntu/Launchpad/Bzr specific, so I'm not

advocating their use to you (Debian), but acknowledging and supporting

Ian's suggestion to solve some duplication of effort!

I agree with you Dustin that the use of scripts like this can resolve some duplication! Even though they don't work with Debian itself, I don't see the problem of adapting them to handle both cases and then making life easier for everybody!

--*Andres Rodriguez (RoAkSoAx)
Ubuntu Server Developer
Systems Engineer

Old 06-03-2011, 12:43 AM