Old 02-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Christian Perrier

Default Bits of the gnome 1.x removal effort

Quoting Pierre Habouzit (madcoder@debian.org):
> Hi there,
>
> I'm working for about a month to remove all the old bits of gnome 1.x
> from Debian for lenny. There was about 40 packages affected not so long
> time ago, it's 13 now (about half were migrated or dropped the
> dependency one way or the other, the other half was bitrot and removed).

.../...
> Sergio Rua: gmanedit
.../...
> If there is a package you love in that list, it'd be _really_ great to
> send patches to migrate them to gnome2/gtk2 libraries[0]. This is a call
> for help, because it requires some knowledge of gnome/gtk core libraries
> for some of those.

In case someone thinks about fixing gmanedit, please also consider
fixing the debian/changelog encoding (#453982) which is also a lenny
release goal.

This can be fixed with "iconv -t utf-8 -f iso-8859-1 changelog
>changelog.new" (I checked that this changelog file is not a mix of
UTF-8 and ISO-885961).

Old 02-12-2008, 03:52 AM
"H. S. Teoh"

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 03:43:38PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
[...]
> As a side note, those packages have spurious build-dependencies on
> gnome1.x libraries (and have no corresponding runtime dependencies),
> bugs will be filed soon:
[...]

Also, on a related note, while preparing glotski for upload, I noticed
that it was linking in unnecessary libraries by blindly passing the
output of `pkg-config libgnomeui-2.0 --libs` to the linker. The
resulting binary depended on a lot of libraries that it didn't actually
use. Adding '-Wl,--as-needed' to the link line got rid of the
unnecessary dependencies.

Just thought this tidbit might be helpful to people who want to clean up
spurious package dependencies.

Let's eat some disquits while we format the biskettes.