Old 05-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Till Kamppeter

Default Color Management in Debian

Hi,

on the Ubuntu Developer Summit this month we discussed the introduction
of color management in Ubuntu. See

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-icc-color-management

What is needed is to introduce some new packages, especially colord,
update other packages, build packages against colord, ...

This would be perhaps much easier when Debian would add the same color
management stack and also if we want to follow the plans to have a
unique printing stack in Debian and Ubuntu.

Therefore I want to ask you all whether you would like to cooperate.

What has to be done is to fix all the "Related bugs" (which are more
feature requests than bugs) on the Blueprint linked above also for
Debian. Especially colord needs to get packaged first:

and then all the other packages built with colord being present.

Anyone wants to volunteer?

Till

Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

Hi Till!

> on the Ubuntu Developer Summit this month we discussed the introduction
> of color management in Ubuntu. See
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-icc-color-management

That is great, colour mnanagement is still one of the missing pieces
which should be taken care of as soon as possible imho. Unfortunately
I'm swamped with work so I want have the time to help and discuss, but
if you need a sponsor for packages don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers and thanks for your work,

Bernd

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F

Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Didier Raboud

Hi Till, and thanks for your message.

First, I think that this type of communication between Debian and its
derivatives (and reversely in that case) is very important for the health of
our ecosystem. So thank you for this.

Le mardi, 31 mai 2011 16.16:18, Till Kamppeter a écrit :
> What is needed is to introduce some new packages, especially colord,
> update other packages, build packages against colord, ...
>
> This would be perhaps much easier when Debian would add the same color
> management stack and also if we want to follow the plans to have a
> unique printing stack in Debian and Ubuntu.

This sounds like a very worthwhile goal.

> What has to be done is to fix all the "Related bugs" (which are more
> feature requests than bugs) on the Blueprint linked above also for
> Debian. Especially colord needs to get packaged first:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/741448
>
> and then all the other packages built with colord being present.

Given that Debian is currently not frozen (and that the Oneiric release will
very probably happen before Wheezy's), I really think that not uploading those
packages to Debian first would be a shame, as this would only mean doubling
efforts.

So I suggest we group people interested from Debian and Ubuntu (and any other
derivatives fwiw) in a single place [0] and start working towards getting
those packages to Debian first. With the NEW delays[1] these days, a sync from
Debian to Ubuntu could happen in a few days; I don't think this is a serious
limit.

As for the common place, my personal preference would be an alioth group (pkg-
colormgmt ?), with git-based packaging; but this should by no means hinder
other proposals [2].

So despite my limited knowledge in this area, I would be happy to help getting
those packages to Debian, by reviewing and eventually upload packages.

Cheers,

OdyX

[0] debian-printing@l.d.o /could/ be that place, but I'm not certain it's
within it's scope.
[1] For which the FTP-Masters team is to be thanked for their awesome job !
[2] Who knows, we could even imagine using bazaar!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer

Still keeping Till on CC (just a warning for new readers of this thread).

On Mié 01 Jun 2011 10:00:17 Didier Raboud escribió:

[snip]

> So despite my limited knowledge in this area, I would be happy to help
> getting those packages to Debian, by reviewing and eventually upload
> packages.

+1 to what Odyx said, and I'm also willing to try to be helpfull in this area.

--
Cuando tenga duda, utilice la solución mas simple.
Principio de William Occam, también llamado

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/