Old 05-29-2011, 08:08 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default consolekit makes trouble

Hello list,

I am really despaired! Due to a defective RAM, my /usr was corrupted, and so I
had to reinstall the system from scratch. I installed debian/testing
completely new (except /home, which is on a separate partition). As I am
courious, I saved my package list by dpkg --get-selections > package.txt, and
after the fresh installation, I could reinstall them again. I did this with
the command: apt-get install $(cut -f1 package.txt), which worked fine.

But after that, I got a problem, and now working for hours to solve it:

As I am using kdm (and kde), I get an error:

kdm: :0[21175]: Cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session: Failed
to execute program /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Succes

I can click it away, and I can use kde without any trouble.

Ok, to see, what hapend, I examined the log and found more information:

May 29 09:33:43 localhost console-kit-daemon[22438]: WARNING:
polkit_authority_get: Error getting authority: Error initializing authority:
Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1:
GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecF ailed: Failed to execute
program /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success

So it looks like, there might be some authorization problem. I googled a lot,
but found no usefull hints. Somebody solved it, by "unmerging glib-
networking", but that was in gentoo.

I will be very happy, if someone could help me, as I there is not much
information about consolekit and dbus to find.

Thank you very much for any help.

Best regards

Hans-J. Ullrich

P.S. Sorry, if I sent this wrong, debian-user@lists.debian.org claimed my e-
mail as spam.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 29 mai 11, 10:08:23, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> P.S. Sorry, if I sent this wrong, debian-user@lists.debian.org claimed my e-
> mail as spam.

- subscribe to whitelist@l.d.o
- if you still have troubles contact listmaster@l.d.o

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 29 May 2011 10:10:06 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

(...)

> But after that, I got a problem, and now working for hours to solve it:
>
> As I am using kdm (and kde), I get an error:
>
> kdm: :0[21175]: Cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session:
> Failed to execute program /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper:
> Succes

(...)

A quick googling returns this bug:

So check the gid of the involved user (messagebus) as suggested in #20.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Sonntag, 29. Mai 2011 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Sun, 29 May 2011 10:10:06 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
>
> (...)
>

> (...)
>
> A quick googling returns this bug:

> So check the gid of the involved user (messagebus) as suggested in #20.
>
> Greetings,

Hi Camaleon and Michael,

yes, indeed, that was exactly the problem as described in bug591618.

I changed the group-id and now it works perfectly.
On the other hand, this misconfiguration appeared during the fresh installation
or the upgrade.

Camaleon: I already had found the bug, you pointed me to, but somehow it was
on the wrong site (the answers were missing, sorry for that).

Michael: I tried to send the message after to debian-user@lists.debian.org
again some minutes lates and it worked.

Andrej: Fancy, before my working sending, I got an e-mail from a strange site
with the exact subject title of my mail, which only contents 2 pgp-keys.
Sender was a russian site! I suppose, this was an attack, to let me import
some untrusted/unknown keys, which some MUA can do automatically.
I will watch this.

Thank you all very much for the help! You made my day, I spent hours to find a
solution!

Cheers!

Hans

Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Simon McVittie

On Sun, 29 May 2011 at 10:08:23 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> kdm: :0[21175]: Cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session: Failed
> to execute program /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Succes

Reinstall the package that owns that file (which is "dbus"). If that doesn't
help, check that it has the right permissions and ownership:

-rwsr-xr-- 1 root messagebus 48192 Apr 27 16:53 /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper

(size/date may vary depending on architecture)

We've seen problems where dbus-daemon-launch-helper mysteriously lost its
setuid bit as a result of filesystem trouble.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Jochen Schulz

> Hello list,
>
> […] I saved my package list by dpkg --get-selections > package.txt, and
> after the fresh installation, I could reinstall them again. I did this with
> the command: apt-get install $(cut -f1 package.txt), which worked fine.

Just as a side note: This procedure has the probably unwanted side
effect that all previsously installed packages are now marked as
"manually installed". You could have used something like

aptitude search '~i!~M'

in order to generate a list of only the packages you had installed
manually.

J.
--
I often play sports / do exercise.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 29 mai 11, 12:33:46, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> Andrej: Fancy, before my working sending, I got an e-mail from a strange site

^^^ Please don't, I'm Romanian, not Polish

> with the exact subject title of my mail, which only contents 2 pgp-keys.
> Sender was a russian site! I suppose, this was an attack, to let me import
> some untrusted/unknown keys, which some MUA can do automatically.
> I will watch this.

Importing a key does not mean you automatically trust it, at least with
mutt + GPG

Regards,
Andrei