FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Luk Claes
 
Default .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

Hi

Just to remember people that one can follow the status of the .la file
dependency_libs clearing goal at Andreas' overview page [1].

A package entry followed by nothing more than a colon ( means that the
package ships an .la file with a cleared dependency_libs field.
A package entry that contains 'dependency_libs' means that the
dependency_libs field in the .la file still contains references to other
libraries.
A package entry that contains 'depended-on' means that the list of
packages enclosed in brackets '()' have an .la file that contains a
dependency_libs field that references this library. So the .la file in
this package cannot easily be removed as it would break the mentioned
packages.

To ease clearing of the dependency_libs field, I'll mention here a sed
snippit that can be included in the debian/rules file of an affected
package at the end of the install target (aka after the upstream make
invocation has completed):

sed -i "/dependency_libs/ s/'.*'/'/"
"$(CURDIR)/debian/<pkg>/usr/lib/<la-file>"

Comments welcome, but foremost I'd like a mass effort to clear the
remaining dependency_libs fields! :-)

Cheers

Luk

[1] http://release.debian.org/~aba/la/current.txt


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DDDF76A.1070106@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/4DDDF76A.1070106@debian.org
 
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Simon McVittie
 
Default .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

On Thu, 26 May 2011 at 08:47:06 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> Comments welcome, but foremost I'd like a mass effort to clear the
> remaining dependency_libs fields! :-)

Am I right in thinking that this is the process people should follow?

if depended-on:
if dependency_libs:
clear the dependency_libs
else:
do nothing (until you are no longer depended-on)
else:
if dependency_libs:
clear the dependency_libs

if you are confident that it won't break anything:
delete the .la file entirely

Regards,
S


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110526084624.GA25097@reptile.pseudorandom.co.uk" >http://lists.debian.org/20110526084624.GA25097@reptile.pseudorandom.co.uk
 
Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Laurent Bigonville
 
Default .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

Hi,

> sed -i "/dependency_libs/ s/'.*'/'/"
> "$(CURDIR)/debian/<pkg>/usr/lib/<la-file>"
>
> Comments welcome, but foremost I'd like a mass effort to clear the
> remaining dependency_libs fields! :-)

gnome-pkg-tools package is already providing a cdbs makefile snippet
that does the same thing on all .la files.

I've also opened a bug (#586082) a year ago asking if this snippet
could be added to cdbs directly, but nothing so far. I guess that step
would help a bit in reaching the goal.

Cheers

Laurent Bigonville

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=586082


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110526111625.07581347@eldamar.bigon.be">http://lists.debian.org/20110526111625.07581347@eldamar.bigon.be
 
Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Michael Biebl
 
Default .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

Am 26.05.2011 10:46, schrieb Simon McVittie:
> On Thu, 26 May 2011 at 08:47:06 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
>> Comments welcome, but foremost I'd like a mass effort to clear the
>> remaining dependency_libs fields! :-)
>
> Am I right in thinking that this is the process people should follow?
>
> if depended-on:
> if dependency_libs:
> clear the dependency_libs
> else:
> do nothing (until you are no longer depended-on)
> else:
> if dependency_libs:
> clear the dependency_libs
>
> if you are confident that it won't break anything:
> delete the .la file entirely
>

Clearing the dependency_libs is always safe, afaics, so I'd rather say it is
something like

if depended-on
clear dependency_libs
else
remove *.la files

--
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
universe are pointed away from Earth?
 
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Jonas Smedegaard
 
Default .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

On 11-05-26 at 11:16am, Laurent Bigonville wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > sed -i "/dependency_libs/ s/'.*'/'/"
> > "$(CURDIR)/debian/<pkg>/usr/lib/<la-file>"
> >
> > Comments welcome, but foremost I'd like a mass effort to clear the
> > remaining dependency_libs fields! :-)
>
> gnome-pkg-tools package is already providing a cdbs makefile snippet
> that does the same thing on all .la files.
>
> I've also opened a bug (#586082) a year ago asking if this snippet
> could be added to cdbs directly, but nothing so far. I guess that step
> would help a bit in reaching the goal.
>
> Cheers
>
> Laurent Bigonville
>
> [0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=586082


Do anyone perhaps have an opinion on Peter's suggestion in that
bugreport?:

> I think in order of preference, this should be fixed by patching
> libtool, or by a debhelper tool, and only then maybe in cdbs. This
> way you can reach the most packages.



Regards,

- Jonas

--
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136 Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

[x] quote me freely [ ] ask before reusing [ ] keep private
 
Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Josselin Mouette
 
Default .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

Le jeudi 26 mai 2011 à 12:26 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :
> Do anyone perhaps have an opinion on Peter's suggestion in that
> bugreport?:
>
> > I think in order of preference, this should be fixed by patching
> > libtool, or by a debhelper tool, and only then maybe in cdbs. This
> > way you can reach the most packages.

My dh_devlibs proposal (#534966) still stands.

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1306413099.4334.99.camel@pi0307572">http://lists.debian.org/1306413099.4334.99.camel@pi0307572
 
Old 05-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Peter Samuelson
 
Default .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

[Michael Biebl]
> Clearing the dependency_libs is always safe, afaics, so I'd rather say it is
> something like
>
> if depended-on
> clear dependency_libs
> else
> remove *.la files

Seems like the following would work instead:

remove *.la files
if depended-on
request some binNMUs

This is unstable after all, right? (:
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110526160439.GB15492@p12n.org">http://lists.debian.org/20110526160439.GB15492@p12n.org
 
Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Luk Claes
 
Default .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

On 05/26/2011 11:55 AM, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 26.05.2011 10:46, schrieb Simon McVittie:
>> On Thu, 26 May 2011 at 08:47:06 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
>>> Comments welcome, but foremost I'd like a mass effort to clear the
>>> remaining dependency_libs fields! :-)
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that this is the process people should follow?
>>
>> if depended-on:
>> if dependency_libs:
>> clear the dependency_libs
>> else:
>> do nothing (until you are no longer depended-on)
>> else:
>> if dependency_libs:
>> clear the dependency_libs
>>
>> if you are confident that it won't break anything:
>> delete the .la file entirely
>>
>
> Clearing the dependency_libs is always safe, afaics, so I'd rather say it is
> something like
>
> if depended-on
> clear dependency_libs
> else
> remove *.la files

There are some good reasons to keep some specific *.la files around,
that's why I'm not aiming at removing them, but at least have the real
problem solved.

So I suggest:

if dependency_libs
clear dependency_libs

Cheers

Luk


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DDEC582.5000209@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/4DDEC582.5000209@debian.org
 
Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Luk Claes
 
Default .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

On 05/26/2011 06:04 PM, Peter Samuelson wrote:
>
> [Michael Biebl]
>> Clearing the dependency_libs is always safe, afaics, so I'd rather say it is
>> something like
>>
>> if depended-on
>> clear dependency_libs
>> else
>> remove *.la files
>
> Seems like the following would work instead:
>
> remove *.la files
> if depended-on
> request some binNMUs
>
> This is unstable after all, right? (:

No, breaking things when that can easily be avoided is not preferred.
Also not in unstable.

Plus some specific *.la files are not meant to be removed at all.

And if I'm not mistaken, removing the *.la files and binNMUing the ones
that depend on them does not work, some of these would just FTBFS,
others could break in unforseen circumstances.

Cheers

Luk


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4DDEC67E.4050201@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/4DDEC67E.4050201@debian.org
 
Old 05-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Michael Biebl
 
Default .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

Am 26.05.2011 23:26, schrieb Luk Claes:

> There are some good reasons to keep some specific *.la files around,

Just curious: what are these reasons / use case for keeping la files?


--
Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
universe are pointed away from Earth?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org