Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Francesco Poli

Default Alioth status update, take 3

On Mon, 23 May 2011 22:35:00 +0200 Roland Mas wrote:

[...]
> Status update for the Alioth situation:
[...]
> - read/write access to the repositories through SSH happen on
> vasks.debian.org; the repositories have adresses that look like
> $scm.debian.org/$scm/$project, for $scm in arch bzr cvs darcs git hg
> svn;
>
> - anonymous read-only access to the repositories is available by HTTP
> from wagner, at URLs that look like
> http://anonscm.debian.org/$scm/$project for $scm in arch bzr darcs git
> hg;
>
> - Git and Subversion also allow anonymous read-only access to the
> repositories through a dedicated protocol, with URLs such as
> git://anonscm.debian.org/$project/$project.git and
> svn://anonscm.debian.org/$project/; I can't seem to get the equivalent
> for CVS (pserver) to work right now;
>
> - repository browsers for the major SCM tools are also available from
> wagner, see http://anonscm.debian.org/ for the links.

I apologize in advance if this is a naive question, but: does this mean
that _all_ Vcs-* control fields in _all_ packages (that have them) have
to be changed?
Does this mean that _all_ existing personal repository clones (I am
thinking about git repository clones, for instance) have to change
their remote URLs (both for read-only access via specific protocol,
such as git://, and for write access via ssh://)?

I hope that some appropriate re-directions may be set up real soon now,
so that previous URLs can continue to work as before...

P.S.: Please keep me in Cc: on replies, since I am not subscribed to
debian-devel. Thanks!

--
http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
New GnuPG key, see the transition document!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen

Francesco Poli <invernomuto@paranoici.org> writes:

> I hope that some appropriate re-directions may be set up real soon now,
> so that previous URLs can continue to work as before...

If you have a specific example of something that does not work, it can
be fixed.

--
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
ooo, shiny!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Russ Allbery

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen <ssm@debian.org> writes:
> Francesco Poli <invernomuto@paranoici.org> writes:

>> I hope that some appropriate re-directions may be set up real soon now,
>> so that previous URLs can continue to work as before...

> If you have a specific example of something that does not work, it can
> be fixed.

windlord:~/tmp> debcheckout libpam-krb5
declared git repository at git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-k5-afs/pam-krb5.git
git clone git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-k5-afs/pam-krb5.git libpam-krb5 ...
Cloning into libpam-krb5...
git.debian.org[0: 217.196.43.140]: errno=Connection refused
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)
checkout failed (the command above returned a non-zero exit code)

Old 05-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Yaroslav Halchenko

on a related note (although not as critical as restoration of
git://git.d.o which I expect to impact thousands:

$> grep git:// /var/lib/apt/lists/debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_sid_main_source_So urces | wc -l
3716

)

where previously available could be now?
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/dep/web/deps/dep5.mdwn?op=file

both
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/dep/
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/deps/
seems to be empty

?

Thanks in advance for clarifications

Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 AM
Guillem Jover

Hi!

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 22:35:00 +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> We should now be in the phase where we pretend it's done, wait for the
> complaints, and fix the problems as they are reported.

The project web sites do not seem to work anymore, for example:

<http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/>
<http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/>

thanks,
guillem

Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Mon, 23 May 2011, Roland Mas wrote:
> We should now be in the phase where we pretend it's done, wait for the
> complaints, and fix the problems as they are reported (or laugh them off
> when they come from the too-common expectation that Alioth can be used
> to run any random stuff by anyone).

1/ We lost all the ACL in the migration. Many teams rely on ACL to grant
commit rights to all DD, they are also used to ensure the entire team
keeps full write access (even when someone with a restrictive umask
pushes new files).

See how the script /srv/git.debian.org/bin/newrepo setup the ACL and
while I was part of the team I have run dozens of time the scripts
/srv/home/rhertzog/bin/add-Debian-acl.sh or
/srv/home/rhertzog/bin/add-group-acl.sh on various SCM directories.

The issue has been brought up on IRC a couple of times but I have yet
to see an answer on this topic.

It would be a major step backwards for collaborative maintenance if ACL
were no longer allowed. And if you plan to allow ACL again, will you
restore the old ACL or shall we request them again one by one?

It might be a good idea to setup a system where you store the ACL in a
textual file so that you can easily restore them without going through
the pain of backing them up explicitly.

By default each SCM directory should have write access for its own group
but any other ACL would be explicitly listed in a file:
/srv/git.debian.org/git/collab-maint gebian:rwX
/srv/svn.debian.org/svn/collab-maint gebian:rwX

And a simple script could do the restore:
(while read dir right; do
sudo setfacl -R -m d:$right $dir;
sudo setfacl -R -m $right $dir;
done) <list-of-acl

2/ Commit mails cannot be sent from vasks, I get a local bounce:

| From MAILER-DAEMON Tue May 24 06:14:49 2011
| Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 06:14:49 +0000
| From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@vasks.debian.org>
| To: hertzog@vasks.debian.org
| Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
|
| This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
|
| A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
| recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
|
| debian-dpkg-cvs@lists.debian.org
| Mailing to remote domains not supported
| dpkg_cvs@packages.qa.debian.org
| Mailing to remote domains not supported

3/ Others have already pointed it out, but I also agree that breaking
git:// or svn:// URLs for anonymous access is not really a good idea.
I don't know the reason for the change but I would be interested to hear it.

I don't know if git or svn supports SRV records, but if they do it would be
great to setup those so that they automatically use the new host.

In general I think it's a good idea to offload anonymous read-only access
so that we have the best performance for commits and similar stuff but
this should be mostly transparent for the user. Having to remember to switch
to "anonscm" is annoying.

Anyway, thank you all for the continued work on Alioth. I know how painful that
can be at times. ;-)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer