Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Svante Signell

Default How to become a contributor?

Hi,

I've been a GNU/Debian user for a long time now, after trying out
Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, Mandriva, Debian, etc. Now, I'm stuck at Debian,
which I find the best distribution not limited to GNU/Linux.

I would like to contribute more than just being a passive reader of the
email lists and submitting bugs. How to proceed, I would like to start
to adopt package(s) no longer being maintained actively, not adopt
abandoned ones. As a start, I would need a sponsor to do the upload. How
to proceed?

Thank you for your time!
Svante

Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Matt Zagrabelny

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Svante Signell
<svante.signell@telia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been a GNU/Debian user for a long time now, after trying out
> Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, Mandriva, Debian, etc. Now, I'm stuck at Debian,
> which I find the best distribution not limited *to GNU/Linux.
>
> I would like to contribute more than just being a passive reader of the
> email lists and submitting bugs. How to proceed, I would like to start
> to adopt package(s) no longer being maintained actively, not adopt
> abandoned ones. As a start, I would need a sponsor to do the upload. How
> to proceed?

google:

debian mentors

also see:

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

-matt

Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Andreas Rönnquist

On 2011-05-19 23:36, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been a GNU/Debian user for a long time now, after trying out
> Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, Mandriva, Debian, etc. Now, I'm stuck at Debian,
> which I find the best distribution not limited to GNU/Linux.
>
> I would like to contribute more than just being a passive reader of the
> email lists and submitting bugs. How to proceed, I would like to start
> to adopt package(s) no longer being maintained actively, not adopt
> abandoned ones. As a start, I would need a sponsor to do the upload. How
> to proceed?

One of the first places to check out:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#I_want_to_help_Debian._Tell_me_wh at_I_can_do.

Also, you seem to have some idea what you want to do, so the WNPP page
is a good place to continue:

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

which gives info on what packages are availible for adaption, and what
packages are being worked on or if some interesting package has been
abandoned.

Other places where interesting info can be found are:

http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint

http://www.debian.org/devel/join/

and the mailinglist:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/

best regards
Andreas

Old 05-20-2011, 06:37 AM
Martin Eberhard Schauer

Hi,

I would like to contribute more than just being a passive reader of the
email lists and submitting bugs.

there is also always to little manpower in the translations teams.

Cheers,
Martin