Old 05-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Arief M Utama

Default Suspend/Hibernate Resume in debian

Hi all,

First, I gotta say thanks for the awesome work in debian. I'm not a DD,
just a long time debian user, been using it since potato era (wow,
that's a long time) and I could testify that it has been a fun and
joyful ride

I wanna help test and improve suspend-resume framework in debian, from
time to time, suspend-resume has not yet been reliable enough for me.

Latest try with only pm-utils package, I can do hibernate and resume
just fine, but suspend and resume does not work, suspend ok, resume fail.

With pm-utils+uswsusp, I can suspend-resume just fine, but
hibernate-resume does not work, same thing, hibernate ok, resume fail,
on resume I can see the progress of loading back the image data and it
goes through to 100% but then it just stop there. Magic sysrq reboot
worked though.

I wanna file bug, but not sure against which package and I wanna try
gather more info first before I do it. Like how does it work now without
hal?

My current test system is a Sony Vaio laptop, with
testing/unstable/experimental repository configured (I need experimental
for gnome3 packages).

Do we have a database of quirks and workarounds for suspend-resume? I've
only been reading wiki.debian.org/Suspend and not sure if it's up to
date (still mentioned hal) and it does not have links to such database.

Anything I could provide for more info?

Thanks for the help.

All the best.
-arief

Old 05-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 13:53 +0700, Arief M Utama wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> First, I gotta say thanks for the awesome work in debian. I'm not a DD,
> just a long time debian user, been using it since potato era (wow,
> that's a long time) and I could testify that it has been a fun and
> joyful ride
>
> I wanna help test and improve suspend-resume framework in debian, from
> time to time, suspend-resume has not yet been reliable enough for me.
>
> Latest try with only pm-utils package, I can do hibernate and resume
> just fine, but suspend and resume does not work, suspend ok, resume fail.

Suspend and resume are normally handled by the kernel, with some help
from initramfs-tools for resuming from disk. pm-utils is not required
for this, although it has other useful functionality.

> With pm-utils+uswsusp, I can suspend-resume just fine, but
> hibernate-resume does not work, same thing, hibernate ok, resume fail,
> on resume I can see the progress of loading back the image data and it
> goes through to 100% but then it just stop there. Magic sysrq reboot
> worked though.
>
> I wanna file bug, but not sure against which package and I wanna try
> gather more info first before I do it. Like how does it work now without
> hal?

So long as you don't use uswsusp, the right package is linux-2.6. If
you do use uswsusp then it could be either package at fault.

> My current test system is a Sony Vaio laptop, with
> testing/unstable/experimental repository configured (I need experimental
> for gnome3 packages).
>
> Do we have a database of quirks and workarounds for suspend-resume? I've
> only been reading wiki.debian.org/Suspend and not sure if it's up to
> date (still mentioned hal) and it does not have links to such database.

That page appears to be very outdated. There is little point in
maintaining a database; any failures belong in a bug tracker.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 05-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Ben Hutchings

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Arief M Utama

Hi Ben,

Latest try with only pm-utils package, I can do hibernate and resume
just fine, but suspend and resume does not work, suspend ok, resume fail.

Suspend and resume are normally handled by the kernel, with some help
from initramfs-tools for resuming from disk. pm-utils is not required
for this, although it has other useful functionality.

My use-case is a reguler user, with laptop and using gnome3 desktop. So
is that mean, I dont need to install any other packages to do suspend
resume from the desktop? Was always under the impressions that at least
pm-utils is required.

But, even so, I have done some test with "echo 'mem' >
/sys/power/state" and "echo 'disk' > /sys/power/state" few times before,
and it shows same behaviour with desktop initiated suspend and
hibernate, "mem" suspend failed at resume, "disk" hibernate-resume
working ok.

With pm-utils+uswsusp, I can suspend-resume just fine, but
hibernate-resume does not work, same thing, hibernate ok, resume fail,
on resume I can see the progress of loading back the image data and it
goes through to 100% but then it just stop there. Magic sysrq reboot
worked though.

I wanna file bug, but not sure against which package and I wanna try
gather more info first before I do it. Like how does it work now without
hal?

So long as you don't use uswsusp, the right package is linux-2.6. If
you do use uswsusp then it could be either package at fault.

To be honest, I'm just doing trial and error with uswsusp, not sure
what's uswsusp benefit.

A little update, I manage to resume back from hibernation with uswsusp
by pressing Magic-Sysrq sequence with 'K' key after the image restoring
come to 100% (I see from the list of key names it's short for 'saK',
dont know what's that mean).

Before it's just stay there, stopped and nothing happened, I have to
reboot using Magic-Sysrq-B.

Thanks.

All the best.
-arief

Old 05-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 14:44 +0700, Arief M Utama wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>

> On 05/19/2011 08:36 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 13:53 +0700, Arief M Utama wrote:
> >> Latest try with only pm-utils package, I can do hibernate and resume
> >> just fine, but suspend and resume does not work, suspend ok, resume fail.
> > Suspend and resume are normally handled by the kernel, with some help
> > from initramfs-tools for resuming from disk. pm-utils is not required
> > for this, although it has other useful functionality.
> >

> My use-case is a reguler user, with laptop and using gnome3 desktop. So
> is that mean, I dont need to install any other packages to do suspend
> resume from the desktop? Was always under the impressions that at least
> pm-utils is required.
[...]

I believe GNOME now relies on the upower daemon. But that is just an
intermediary for sending commands to the kernel.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Jon Dowland

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 02:44:42PM +0700, Arief M Utama wrote:
> But, even so, I have done some test with "echo 'mem' >
> /sys/power/state" and "echo 'disk' > /sys/power/state" few times before,
> and it shows same behaviour with desktop initiated suspend and
> hibernate, "mem" suspend failed at resume, "disk" hibernate-resume
> working ok.

Fundamentally, that implies a bug in the kernel for your particular hardware.
Packages like uswsusp sometimes have more success because they apply
kludges/quirks to work around the bug. These kludges/quirks are better
handled in the kernel itself (sometimes hardware has quirks; other times it
is a software error).

--
Jon Dowland

Old 05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le vendredi 20 mai 2011 à 13:17 +0100, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> I believe GNOME now relies on the upower daemon. But that is just an
> intermediary for sending commands to the kernel.

Yes, AFAICT upower relies on pm-utils for the low-level commands.

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Bastian Blank

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 01:53:31PM +0700, Arief M Utama wrote:
> Latest try with only pm-utils package, I can do hibernate and resume
> just fine, but suspend and resume does not work, suspend ok, resume
> fail.

Hibernate is completely covered by the kernel; there is not much that
can go wrong. Suspend however needs help from the BIOS via ACPI; there
is much more that can go wrong.

> My current test system is a Sony Vaio laptop, with
> testing/unstable/experimental repository configured (I need
> experimental for gnome3 packages).

Which kernel release worked, which failed.

Bastian

--
There is an order of things in this universe.
-- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1

Old 05-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Chow Loong Jin

On 20/05/2011 23:00, Clint Adams wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 03:09:56PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
>> Hibernate is completely covered by the kernel; there is not much that
>
> Is it supposed to work with swap on an LVM volume on top of dm-crypt?
> This only works for me with uswsusp.

Yes it is supposed to, as long as your initrd is capable of bootstrapping the
dm-crypt and LVM volume before attempting to resume. At least, it works in
Ubuntu, but I haven't tested this on Debian.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin

Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Martin Wuertele

* Clint Adams <clint@debian.org> [2011-05-20 16:52]:

> Is it supposed to work with swap on an LVM volume on top of dm-crypt?
> This only works for me with uswsusp.

Works for me since Lenny.

yours Martin