Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Anton Martchukov

Default httpd-cgi is it really CGI or maybe *CGI instead

Hello All.

I wanted to install MoinMoin wiki (python-moinmoin) using
FastCGI on nginx web server (nginx-full), but python-moinmoin
brings Apache web server into the system due to its
dependencies:

python-moinmoin depends on libapache2-mod-wsgi | httpd-cgi

nginx-full provides httpd

I would submit a bug report on any of those packages, but
it does not appear clear to me:

1. Virtual package httpd-cgi is this only plain CGI or also
can be FactCGI too? In case with nginx, it does not support
plain old CGI, but does support FastCGI (plus SCGI and WSGI).

2. libapache2-mod-wsgi is not the only WSGI web server
available.

3. moinmoin is not limited to WCGI and CGI and also can
be run with built-in web server, FastCGI, SCGI and AJP.

The bottom line is that we are probably missing a bunch of
virtual packages like:

httpd-fastcgi
httpd-wsgi
httpd-scgi
httpd-ajp

At least I would bet for the first two ones (httpd-fastcgi and
httpd-wsgi).

- Anton

--
Anton Martchukov
http://www.martchukov.com

Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Russ Allbery

Anton Martchukov <anton@martchukov.com> writes:

> I wanted to install MoinMoin wiki (python-moinmoin) using
> FastCGI on nginx web server (nginx-full), but python-moinmoin
> brings Apache web server into the system due to its
> dependencies:

> python-moinmoin depends on libapache2-mod-wsgi | httpd-cgi

> nginx-full provides httpd

> I would submit a bug report on any of those packages, but
> it does not appear clear to me:

> 1. Virtual package httpd-cgi is this only plain CGI or also
> can be FactCGI too? In case with nginx, it does not support
> plain old CGI, but does support FastCGI (plus SCGI and WSGI).

> 2. libapache2-mod-wsgi is not the only WSGI web server
> available.

> 3. moinmoin is not limited to WCGI and CGI and also can
> be run with built-in web server, FastCGI, SCGI and AJP.

> The bottom line is that we are probably missing a bunch of
> virtual packages like:

> httpd-fastcgi
> httpd-wsgi
> httpd-scgi
> httpd-ajp

httpd-wsgi has already been requested. See #588497. So far, no one seems
to have run into a practical requirement for the others, although if you
have some cases where we'd use them (as opposed to just a theoretical
need), please do file a debian-policy bug about that.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Jérémy Lal

On 18/05/2011 19:38, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Anton Martchukov <anton@martchukov.com> writes:
>
>> I wanted to install MoinMoin wiki (python-moinmoin) using
>> FastCGI on nginx web server (nginx-full), but python-moinmoin
>> brings Apache web server into the system due to its
>> dependencies:
>
>> python-moinmoin depends on libapache2-mod-wsgi | httpd-cgi
>
>> nginx-full provides httpd
>
>> I would submit a bug report on any of those packages, but
>> it does not appear clear to me:
>
>> 1. Virtual package httpd-cgi is this only plain CGI or also
>> can be FactCGI too? In case with nginx, it does not support
>> plain old CGI, but does support FastCGI (plus SCGI and WSGI).
>
>> 2. libapache2-mod-wsgi is not the only WSGI web server
>> available.
>
>> 3. moinmoin is not limited to WCGI and CGI and also can
>> be run with built-in web server, FastCGI, SCGI and AJP.
>
>> The bottom line is that we are probably missing a bunch of
>> virtual packages like:
>
>> httpd-fastcgi
>> httpd-wsgi
>> httpd-scgi
>> httpd-ajp

+1
especially for the distinction between httpd-fcgi and httpd-cgi.
Note that "fcgi" name is more used than "fastcgi" in packages names.

> httpd-wsgi has already been requested. See #588497. So far, no one seems
> to have run into a practical requirement for the others, although if you
> have some cases where we'd use them (as opposed to just a theoretical
> need), please do file a debian-policy bug about that.

I have the feeling it is a good idea to enforce web servers to declare their
abilities like that. Today many webapps can run through fcgi, whether they are
in php, ruby, c... but they can't state that fact in their control fields.
Instead, i've seen some of them depend on apache2, whereas they can run with
any other httpd-fcgi (example: roundcube-core)
Trouble is i'm not good at argumenting this in a bug report.

Jérémy.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Vincent Bernat

OoO Pendant le repas du mercredi 18 mai 2011, vers 19:55, Jérémy Lal
<kapouer@melix.org> disait*:

> I have the feeling it is a good idea to enforce web servers to declare their
> abilities like that. Today many webapps can run through fcgi, whether they are
> in php, ruby, c... but they can't state that fact in their control fields.
> Instead, i've seen some of them depend on apache2, whereas they can run with
> any other httpd-fcgi (example: roundcube-core)

roudncube-core depends on apache2 | lighttpd | httpd, php5.

Therefore, you can install it with nginx and php5-cgi (or now
php5-fpm). The presence of "apache2" is merely a default here. The
presence of "lighttpd" may be removed since this is neither a default,
neither a dependency that is not stated in httpd.
--
Vincent Bernat
http://www.luffy.cx

Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Jon Dowland

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:51:23PM +0400, Anton Martchukov wrote:
> 1. Virtual package httpd-cgi is this only plain CGI or also
> can be FactCGI too? In case with nginx, it does not support
> plain old CGI, but does support FastCGI (plus SCGI and WSGI).

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/virtual-package-names-list.txt says

"httpd-cgi A CGI capable HTTP server"

I would argue it was correct for nginx to not provide httpd-cgi, if it does not
support CGI. python-moinmoin's Recommendation of libapache2-mod-wsgi |
httpd-cgi is too tight to be covered by nginx (note that it is non-the-less a
recommendation, not a dependency).

If you introduced "httpd-fastcgi" or similar, you would need to change all
httpd servers that provided fastcgi. It might be more pragmatic to change
moinmoin to libapache2-mod-wsgi | nginx | httpd-cgi.

I see that nginx-full provides: nginx, but nginx is not listed in policy's list
of virtual packages. It's also a *real* package, albeit a dummy one. Several
real packages depend on that name.

--
Jon Dowland