Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Andrey Rahmatullin

Default Additional info about recommended/suggested packages

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:26:13PM +0200, Eshat Cakar wrote:
> At the moment there is no way to get more information about
> suggested/recommended packages, except their names. In particular I am talking
> about which functionality is added when also installing them.
Yes, I think there should be easy ways to get answers to following
questions:
1. What functionality do I lose if I remove/don't install this
recommendation?
2. What should I install to get this optional function? This can't be
always conveniently achieved by reversing 1., because sometimes you need
to install several additional packages for one function.
3. What Recommends: and what Suggests: are not yet installed for this
installed package?

--
WBR, wRAR

Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 AM
Paul Wise

In Debian we do this via package descriptions since the
recommends/suggests are not meant to be human readable information.

I would suggest filing bugs on any packages you feel could benefit
from such information in the package description.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Eshat Cakar

> In Debian we do this via package descriptions since the
> recommends/suggests are not meant to be human readable information.

The DPM does not mention information about suggested/recommended
packages in the description field [1]. Only "significant dependencies
and conflicts" are named.
This might be the reason why most maintainers do not use the
description for that, in fact I couldn't find any package listing the
recommended packages in the package-description.

> I would suggest filing bugs on any packages you feel could benefit
> from such information in the package description.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that's the way to go:
- it is not up on the users to know what recommends do, the maintainer
should know first
- the way bugs are fixed might not be clean, since each
maintainer will use his syntax, providing the users a not uniform way

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg00701.html

--
eshat cakar
web: www.eshat.de gpg-id: 799B 95D5