Old 05-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Jay Berkenbilt

Default a few packages for adoption

******

Please reply to me directly (or CC me on replies) as I am not
currently subscribed to debian-devel.

******

I recently became a father of twins and, as such, have less time to work
on packages than I used to. While I do plan on keeping some of my
packages, there are others I'm interested in finding new maintainers
for, if anyone is interested:

* ICU: This is ICU4C. I sent another (lengthy) message about it.

* xerces-c, xerces-c2: These are two versions of Xerces-C
(http://xerces.apache.org). These are generally pretty low effort to
maintain, and upstream is helpful and responsive. xerces-c2 is an
older version that is no longer really being maintained, and
backporting security fixes to it can be very hard, but so far, there
hasn't been anything major. xerces-c is the 3.x series and is
actively maintained upstream. Note that xerces-c2 has an orphaned
reverse dependency (xalan), which you may occasionally need to NMU,
though I think I only had to do that one time.

* libxml-xerces-perl: This is a Xerces-p, a perl interface to
Xerces-c. As far as I can tell, it is dead upstream, and there are
better alternatives. At one time, it was the only perl module
capable of doing XML validation with both DTD and schema support and
with the capability of providing values for default attributes when
doing validation, but I haven't actually tried to determine whether
that's true for about six or seven years. If no one wants this, I
may orphan it or request removal.

* psutils: This is a collection of tools including psnup and ps2ps.
They are pretty popular, but the project has been dead upstream for a
while. psutils is part of all the major distributions, and we all
have various patches. I put some effort into trying to synchronize
with other distributions a while ago. Our psutils package includes a
few other tools that are not strictly part of the upstream
distribution, and every now and then, someone posts a bug report
asking for some additional utility to be added. Some of the time,
there's a licensing reason or some other reason why it won't work out
(so you have to be careful when analyzing these requests), but every
now and then it works out.

I'll wait a few days to give people a chance to reply. For the xerces
packages, I'd probably give preference to the debian SGML/XML group or
to other groups maintaining stuff from apache.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>

Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Bastien ROUCARIES

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org> wrote:
> ******
>
> Please reply to me directly (or CC me on replies) as I am not
> currently subscribed to debian-devel.
>
> ******
>
> I recently became a father of twins and, as such, have less time to work
> on packages than I used to. *While I do plan on keeping some of my
> packages, there are others I'm interested in finding new maintainers
> for, if anyone is interested:
>
> ** ICU: *This is ICU4C. *I sent another (lengthy) message about it.
>
> ** xerces-c, xerces-c2: These are two versions of Xerces-C
> * (http://xerces.apache.org). *These are generally pretty low effort to
> * maintain, and upstream is helpful and responsive. *xerces-c2 is an
> * older version that is no longer really being maintained, and
> * backporting security fixes to it can be very hard, but so far, there
> * hasn't been anything major. *xerces-c is the 3.x series and is
> * actively maintained upstream. *Note that xerces-c2 has an orphaned
> * reverse dependency (xalan), which you may occasionally need to NMU,
> * though I think I only had to do that one time.
>
> ** libxml-xerces-perl: This is a Xerces-p, a perl interface to
> * Xerces-c. *As far as I can tell, it is dead upstream, and there are
> * better alternatives. *At one time, it was the only perl module
> * capable of doing XML validation with both DTD and schema support and
> * with the capability of providing values for default attributes when
> * doing validation, but I haven't actually tried to determine whether
> * that's true for about six or seven years. *If no one wants this, I
> * may orphan it or request removal.
>
> ** psutils: This is a collection of tools including psnup and ps2ps.
> * They are pretty popular, but the project has been dead upstream for a
> * while. *psutils is part of all the major distributions, and we all
> * have various patches. *I put some effort into trying to synchronize
> * with other distributions a while ago. *Our psutils package includes a
> * few other tools that are not strictly part of the upstream
> * distribution, and every now and then, someone posts a bug report
> * asking for some additional utility to be added. *Some of the time,
> * there's a licensing reason or some other reason why it won't work out
> * (so you have to be careful when analyzing these requests), but every
> * now and then it works out.

I could take care if you sponsor me.

Bastien