Old 05-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Sven Hoexter

Default Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6 in wheezy as default?

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 05:33:42PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:

Hi,

> i currently wonder if Debian should implement RFC 4941 as default for
> wheezy.

I thought about this a few month ago and my proposal would've been to
add an example in /etc/sysctl.conf. I'm not sure if we can or should
distinguish between desktop and server systems because I don't think
you'll like to have it as a default for a server system.

Beside that the default timeout setting for the dynamic address is something
to be discussed, I believe the default is about a week which is rather
long if you want to have a benefit over static assignment. After all the gain of
anonymity highly depends on the IP assignment rules your ISP will have.
If you always end up with the same /64 you gain nearly nothing and there are
better properties to track you anyway.

Sven
--
I don't know much, but I do know this:
With a golden heart, comes a rebel fist

Old 05-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Yves-Alexis Perez

On dim., 2011-05-08 at 17:56 +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> Beside that the default timeout setting for the dynamic address is something
> to be discussed, I believe the default is about a week which is rather
> long if you want to have a benefit over static assignment. After all the gain of
> anonymity highly depends on the IP assignment rules your ISP will have.
> If you always end up with the same /64 you gain nearly nothing and there are
> better properties to track you anyway.

Privacy extension addresses are more intended for the mobile people
(prevent you beeing tracked when you change provider, like connecting
from some hotspot, the hotel, a conference, work, home etc.).

Yves-Alexis

Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Sun, 2011-05-08 at 17:56 +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 05:33:42PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > i currently wonder if Debian should implement RFC 4941 as default for
> > wheezy.
>
> I thought about this a few month ago and my proposal would've been to
> add an example in /etc/sysctl.conf. I'm not sure if we can or should
> distinguish between desktop and server systems because I don't think
> you'll like to have it as a default for a server system.
[...]

I don't see why. Any static records in DNS should not use SLAAC
addresses, since swapping the NIC will change those addresses.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Robert Edmonds

On 2011-05-08, Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org> wrote:
> i currently wonder if Debian should implement RFC 4941 as default for
> wheezy.
>
> Background: IPv6 configured via router advertisement will use the
> hardware address of the ethernet card to encode the IPv6 address. This
> raises privacy issues, such as being able to track each single device.
>
> I therefor wonder, if Debian should be shipped with the privacy
> extensions for stateless address autoconfiguration on IPv6 per default
> starting with wheezy.
>
> I would like to hear other developers meanings to this issue, before
> proposing this as release goal for wheezy.

it would be great if there were a simple way to control the IPv6 address
selection policy (static, SLAAC, SLAAC + privacy extensions, DHCPv6...)
from the interfaces(5) file or its successor.

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds@debian.org

Old 05-11-2011, 04:05 AM
"Andrew O. Shadoura"

Hello,

On Wed, 11 May 2011 00:33:33 +0000 (UTC)
Robert Edmonds <edmonds@debian.org> wrote:

> it would be great if there were a simple way to control the IPv6
> address selection policy (static, SLAAC, SLAAC + privacy extensions,
> DHCPv6...) from the interfaces(5) file or its successor.

It is and I hope we can get it into Debian (experimental?) soon.

--
WBR, Andrew

Old 05-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Bastian Blank

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:33:33AM +0000, Robert Edmonds wrote:
> it would be great if there were a simple way to control the IPv6 address
> selection policy (static, SLAAC, SLAAC + privacy extensions, DHCPv6...)
> from the interfaces(5) file or its successor.

This is not sufficient. RA can set the other-config flag. In this case
the client should use DHCPv6 to get additional informations. Or it sets
the managed-config flag, which means that the client should get all
information via DHCPv6.

Bastian

--
Too much of anything, even love, isn't necessarily a good thing.
-- Kirk, "The Trouble with Tribbles", stardate 4525.6

Old 05-18-2011, 03:54 AM
Robert Edmonds

On 2011-05-11, Andrew O. Shadoura <bugzilla@tut.by> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2011 00:33:33 +0000 (UTC)
> Robert Edmonds <edmonds@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> it would be great if there were a simple way to control the IPv6
>> address selection policy (static, SLAAC, SLAAC + privacy extensions,
>> DHCPv6...) from the interfaces(5) file or its successor.
>
> It is and I hope we can get it into Debian (experimental?) soon.

can you expand a bit on what 'it' is? (a package?) i would be kind of
interested as to the 'correct' way of setting the 'static IPv6' policy
on linux.

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds@debian.org