Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Thomas Koch

Default Software quality metrics in Debian?

Hi,

I'd like to hear your opinions about an idea and propose a discussion about it
on Debconf:

a) Dream: Debian could publish quality metrics about the packaged software in
a machine readable format.

b) Software quality obviously is not strictly defined. There are metrics that
could automatically be measured, but the interpretation of the metrics is
still dependend on personal judgement.

c) Not only can the source code be measured but only the development process:
Does the project use a (distributed) VCS, Bugtracker, Continuous integration,
Test coverage, ...? The judgement of these facts is once again a matter of
personal assessment.

d) Many metrics are language specific. Every language team (Perl, Java, PHP,
Python, ...) could measure additional metrics or measure the adherence to best
practices or common coding styles. (See e.g. the book "effective java")

e) All these things should of course be voluntary. But with time people may
tend to prefer packages that have there software quality measurements
published.

f) It happens, that DDs argue against an ITP, because they don't like some
crappy software (personal judgement) to enter Debian. I for example would
prefer to purge all PHP and Ruby based software from history and destroy all
evidence that it ever existed.
However only with {agreed|objective|established} software quality metrics can
people argue about ITPs without reference to personal taste.

I already filled a BoF event about this topic for Debconf.

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 05-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Paul Wise

Sounds like an extension of DACA:

http://qa.debian.org/daca/

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Gunnar Wolf

Thomas Koch dijo [Sun, May 08, 2011 at 10:09:16AM +0200]:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to hear your opinions about an idea and propose a discussion about it
> on Debconf:
>
> a) Dream: Debian could publish quality metrics about the packaged software in
> a machine readable format.
>
> b) Software quality obviously is not strictly defined. There are metrics that
> could automatically be measured, but the interpretation of the metrics is
> still dependend on personal judgement.
>
> c) Not only can the source code be measured but only the development process:
> Does the project use a (distributed) VCS, Bugtracker, Continuous integration,
> Test coverage, ...? The judgement of these facts is once again a matter of
> personal assessment.

Hi,

I agree with b) - But there are some points that could be gathered and
presented. As an example, in our package build process: How many
packages are built running upstream's test suites? I know I have
disabled them ocassionally because of hard-to-fix corner cases that
were only biting me in the test suites themselves... Of course, that
speaks horribly of me.

Many authors, true, do not provide a test suite at all... So we could
have a three(?)-state definition here:

Runs-tests: (Yes|No|NotAvailable)

Of course, even when available, what's the code coverage they offer?
And even harder than that, what's the quality of the tests? That's
much harder to guess... But having such a field (be it in d/control,
be it anywhere else) could start leading us to one such metric.

Yes, this can lead to a nice BoF :-)

Greetings,

Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> schrieb:

> Many authors, true, do not provide a test suite at all... So we could
> have a three(?)-state definition here:
>
> Runs-tests: (Yes|No|NotAvailable)

Maybe a 4th state: Skipped. (where it had to be disabled)

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666