Old 05-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Ernesto Hernández-Novich

Default Has anyone attempted a tomcat7 package?

I've been trying to build a tomcat7 package based on the existing
tomcat6 package. After fiddling with it for a while, I've managed to
"build" what looks like a working binary, but I get a backtrace when the
services starts.

The relevant part of the backtrace is

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tomcat/util/res/StringManager
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.<clinit>(Cata lina.java:80)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:406)

meaning there's a missing class.

I found the reference to the class in build.xml however I have no idea
why it's not being built nor what should I do in debian/rules to install
it in its proper place. I've run ant manually and gotten the file to
build, and attempted putting it in tomcat's class search path, but the
problem persists.

If anyone is working on a tomcat7 package, or can shed light on what I'm
supposed to do next, I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks in advance!
--
Ernesto Hernández-Novich - @iamemhn - Unix: Live free or die!
Geek by nature, Linux by choice, Debian of course.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Simon Paillard

Hi,

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 08:12:10PM -0430, Ernesto Hernández-Novich wrote:
> I've been trying to build a tomcat7 package based on the existing
> tomcat6 package. After fiddling with it for a while, I've managed to
> "build" what looks like a working binary, but I get a backtrace when the
> services starts.
>
> The relevant part of the backtrace is
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tomcat/util/res/StringManager
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.<clinit>(Cata lina.java:80)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:406)
>
> meaning there's a missing class.
>
> I found the reference to the class in build.xml however I have no idea
> why it's not being built nor what should I do in debian/rules to install
> it in its proper place. I've run ant manually and gotten the file to
> build, and attempted putting it in tomcat's class search path, but the
> problem persists.
>
> If anyone is working on a tomcat7 package, or can shed light on what I'm
> supposed to do next, I'd appreciate any pointers.

You should see with tomcat maintainers.

See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=610434

--
Simon Paillard