Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Ana Guerrero

Default Qt3 looking for adopters (orphaned now)

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 07:56:26PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:

> Hi,
>
> kdelibs3 was removed recently from the archive and the last tiny bit
> of KDE 3 remaining, aRts, will be removed quite soon.
>
> This means the KDE team is not longer interested in Qt3 and we are looking
> for new maintainer(s).
>
> Personally, I would have gone for removing Qt3 too but the following concerns
> have been raised:
>
> - latest LSB 4.1 still needs Qt3
> - some software using Qt3 do not have any replacement (twinkle has mentioned
> for several users). There is a list of packages using Qt 3 at [1] and
> even if Qt3 is kept in the archive, I am planning to do a QA round of all
> the packages using Qt3.
> - there seem to be a lot of people using their Qt 3 software and Debian in
> scientific environments.
>
> Qt 3 was EOL'ed in July 2007 [2], so if you decide to adopt Qt 3 you won't
> have any support by upstream. Also, if you adopt the package, please
> coordinate with the KDE team so we can push some final changes.
>
> If there are no adopters in the next 3 weeks, I will do an orphaning upload
> (and file the O: bug) with the changes mentioned earlier.

Change of plans. Due the switch to GCC 4.6, 48 packages using Qt 3 failed to build
from source. This was already reported against Qt3 with a patch, see bug report
#611255 (Thanks Riddell!) and Modestas did a quick upload fixing the issue
plus the other final issues we wanted to address. See changelog [1]

We took advantage of the upload to also orphan Qt3. Orphaning bug is #625502.

If you want Qt3 is wheezy (or any of the packages that need Qt3), please, step
up soon.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-changes/2011/05/msg00294.html

Ana