Old 05-03-2011, 04:03 PM
A Mennucc

Default OK, need a server for debdelta repository

The debdelta repository 'debdeltas.debian.net' has a new home! I thank
a lot 'md' for hosting it in ftp.linux.it; and also 'ansgar' ,
'formorer' for offering a host.

With a new server, the service should also be better: deltas should be
available no more than 1 hour later than the corresponding deb. (*) So
you should almost never see the message "delta is not present" (but you
may see the message "delta is too big" ).

A.

ps: (* this is not true yet for debian-security , I need to do a bit of
work on that)

Old 05-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 06:03:42PM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:
> The debdelta repository 'debdeltas.debian.net' has a new home! I thank
> a lot 'md' for hosting it in ftp.linux.it; and also 'ansgar' ,
> 'formorer' for offering a host.
>
> With a new server, the service should also be better: deltas should be
> available no more than 1 hour later than the corresponding deb. (*) So
> you should almost never see the message "delta is not present" (but you
> may see the message "delta is too big" ).

Good!, thanks for the news and for maintaining the service.

Out of curiosity, and given http://debdelta.debian.net has been around
for a long while now and is used (according to my exchanges with you)
regularly, do you have a plan for integration into debian.*org* proper?

In principle, it looks like a very useful service to users than they
should be able to enable triggering a switch into APT. Is there any
document describing that possibility, its drawbacks, showstoppers and,
more generally, the way forward?

Is the ongoing GSOC project [1] the only remaining block or… ?
(Yes, I'm also aware of [2], but it seems independent form actually
making easier for users to find and use the service.)

Cheers.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011#DebDelta_APT_Native_Integration
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2011/04/msg00060.html

Quando anche i santi ti voltano le spalle, | . |. I've fans everywhere

Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 AM
A Mennucc

Il 03/05/2011 18:44, Stefano Zacchiroli ha scritto:
> Out of curiosity, and given http://debdelta.debian.net has been around
> for a long while now and is used (according to my exchanges with you)
> regularly, do you have a plan for integration into debian.*org* proper?

I would like to. But so far no effective plans.
> In principle, it looks like a very useful service to users than they
> should be able to enable triggering a switch into APT. Is there any
> document describing that possibility, its drawbacks, showstoppers and,
> more generally, the way forward?
I am writing documentation, it is at
http://debdelta.debian.net/html/index.html (it is still work in
progress); I just added a section 3.9 that may be of interest; I sent an
email debian-dak@l.d.o .

There will also be a session at
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-o-debdelta/
it is currently scheduled Tuesday, 12:00 CEST

a.