Old 05-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Ana Guerrero

Default Qt3 looking for adopters

Hi,

kdelibs3 was removed recently from the archive and the last tiny bit
of KDE 3 remaining, aRts, will be removed quite soon.

This means the KDE team is not longer interested in Qt3 and we are looking
for new maintainer(s).

Personally, I would have gone for removing Qt3 too but the following concerns
have been raised:

- latest LSB 4.1 still needs Qt3
- some software using Qt3 do not have any replacement (twinkle has mentioned
for several users). There is a list of packages using Qt 3 at [1] and
even if Qt3 is kept in the archive, I am planning to do a QA round of all
the packages using Qt3.
- there seem to be a lot of people using their Qt 3 software and Debian in
scientific environments.

Qt 3 was EOL'ed in July 2007 [2], so if you decide to adopt Qt 3 you won't
have any support by upstream. Also, if you adopt the package, please
coordinate with the KDE team so we can push some final changes.

If there are no adopters in the next 3 weeks, I will do an orphaning upload
(and file the O: bug) with the changes mentioned earlier.

Ana
PS: cc'me in replies

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/qt3-x11-freeRemoval
[2] http://qt.nokia.com/about/news/archive/press.2007-01-22.4604809587/)

Old 05-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Bastien ROUCARIES

You miss qucs for instance.

I suppose qt3 is near bug free ?

Could help to maintain but in team

Bastien

Old 05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Ana Guerrero

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 01:29:39PM +0200, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> You miss qucs for instance.

I did not mean to be exhaustive. All the packages using Qt3 have at least one
person who consider them important or they would not be in the archive.

> I suppose qt3 is near bug free ?

It has 21 bugs. The important point here is you would become also *upstream*.

> Could help to maintain but in team

There are plenty of one-person teams in Debian :-)

Ana

Old 05-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Bastien ROUCARIES

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > kdelibs3 was removed recently from the archive and the last tiny bit
>> > of KDE 3 remaining, aRts, will be removed quite soon.
>> >
>> > This means the KDE team is not longer interested in Qt3 and we are looking
>> > for new maintainer(s).
>> >
>> > Personally, I would have gone for removing Qt3 too but the following concerns
>> > have been raised:
>> >
>> > - latest LSB 4.1 still needs Qt3
>> > - some software using Qt3 do not have any replacement (twinkle has mentioned
>> > *for several users). There is a list of packages using Qt 3 at [1] and
>> > *even if Qt3 is kept in the archive, I am planning to do a QA round of all
>> > *the packages using Qt3.
>> > - there seem to be a lot of people using their Qt 3 software and Debian in
>> > *scientific environments.
>> >
>> > Qt 3 was EOL'ed in July 2007 [2], so if you decide to adopt Qt 3 you won't
>> > have any support by upstream. Also, if you adopt the package, please
>> > coordinate with the KDE team so we can push some final changes.
>> >

> On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 01:29:39PM +0200, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>> You miss qucs for instance.
>
> I did not mean to be exhaustive. All the packages using Qt3 have at least one
> person who consider them important or they would not be in the archive.
>
>> I suppose qt3 is near bug free ?
>>

> It has 21 bugs. The important point here is you would become also *upstream*.

No they are trinirty qt3

Could you offer me sponsorship ?

Bastien

Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Grzegorz Wierzchowski

There is also very impotrant package qcad (and connected qcad-doc and
partlibrary) which are not on the list of QT3 dependencies.
This program is to my knowledge the only one usable OSS CAD type progam. I use
it regularly.

PS: Sorry for late response, I don't follow debian-dev regularly, but found
this thread on internet.

Best Regards,
Grzegorz W.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Scott Howard

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Grzegorz Wierzchowski
<gwierzchowski@wp.pl> wrote:
> There is also very impotrant package qcad (and connected qcad-doc and
> partlibrary) which are not on the list of QT3 dependencies.
> This program is to my knowledge the only one usable OSS CAD type progam. I use
> it regularly.

Hello,

I'm the qcad maintainer, just wanted to let people know that there is
a qt4 port of qcad called "LibreCAD" [1,2]. The package is available
as "librecad" in main. We've discussed how to handle qcad in the
future on the debian-science list, and have determined that LibreCAD
is a drop in replacement (with some improvements over) qcad. When the
qt3 libraries are removed, qcad will become a transitional package
that will recommend LibreCAD.

If you can, please try out the librecad package and report bugs or
issues you find. So far Edubuntu ships "LibreCAD" as their default CAD
as of the 11.04 Ubuntu release, and feedback has been great from those
users.

Cheers,
Scott
[1] www.librecad.org
[2] www.github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD

Old 06-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Daniele Tricoli

On Wednesday 01 June 2011 16:08:07 Grzegorz Wierzchowski wrote:
> There is also very impotrant package qcad (and connected qcad-doc and
> partlibrary) which are not on the list of QT3 dependencies.
> This program is to my knowledge the only one usable OSS CAD type progam.
> I use it regularly.

QCad will be removed[], but you can look at librecad, a fork of qcad
ported to Qt4[].

HTH,

[] http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2011/02/msg00027.html
[] http://packages.qa.debian.org/libr/librecad.html