Old 02-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Charles Plessy

Default news from mips?

Le Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:10:20PM -0500, Philippe Cloutier a écrit :

> it would be much more efficient to work on buildd
> redundancy (or other improvements to the buildd network).

By the way, is there a plan to solve the problem of mips not keeping up
apart waiting for a miracle to happen?

Sorry to be rude, but I am just so surprised that there is a such big
problem and that apparently nothing is done. If people are working on
the issue, just let us know, they will get many kudos and everybody will
be happy. In the absence of any communication, you know, there is the
usual frustration...

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org

Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Russ Allbery

Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> writes:

> Sorry to be rude, but I am just so surprised that there is a such big
> problem and that apparently nothing is done. If people are working on
> the issue, just let us know, they will get many kudos and everybody will
> be happy. In the absence of any communication, you know, there is the
> usual frustration...

This happens with at least one platform at some point during every release
cycle, which is probably why you're not seeing more reaction. We're all
used to it.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Riku Voipio

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:08:13AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Sorry to be rude, but I am just so surprised that there is a such big
> problem and that apparently nothing is done. If people are working on
> the issue, just let us know, they will get many kudos and everybody will
> be happy. In the absence of any communication, you know, there is the
> usual frustration...

I wonder - after a quick glance on debian-mips mailing list,
it seems you _have_ been communicated on this issue:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2008/02/msg00017.html

You are even in the To: list of that mail...

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups

Old 02-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Charles Plessy

Le Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:28:48AM +0200, Riku Voipio a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:08:13AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Sorry to be rude, but I am just so surprised that there is a such big
> > problem and that apparently nothing is done. If people are working on
> > the issue, just let us know, they will get many kudos and everybody will
> > be happy. In the absence of any communication, you know, there is the
> > usual frustration...
>
> I wonder - after a quick glance on debian-mips mailing list,
> it seems you _have_ been communicated on this issue:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2008/02/msg00017.html
>
> You are even in the To: list of that mail...

Well, this email says that somebody needs some hardware to put a MIPS
machine on line. The kind of mail I would have liked to receive, for
instance on -devel-announce would be for instance:

Example 1:
----------

Hello, this is a message for the MIPS porters. We noted that many
package transitions are delayed because of they are not yet build on
mips and mipsel. We are really sorry for the inconvenience and we are
currently working with the persons responsible for the buildds to find a
solution.

Example 2:
----------

Hello, this is a message from the MIPS buildd administrators. During the
past two weeks, the queue in the machines we are in charge of has been
growing, and this is causing delays for the testing transition of the
packages of may of you. This was caused by an unusual number of uploads,
and we expect that normal operations will resume within three weeks.
This kink of peak is exceptionnal and we hope that it will not happen
again this year.

Example 3:
----------

Hello, this is a message from the MIPS buildd administrators. The Debian
archives is growing and our current buildds become undersized for the
task: a queue has started to form, resulting in delays for the
transition of your packages. We are working on increasing the build
power for the mips and mipsel arches, and hope the queue to dissapear
within a month.

I am really thankful for Tim and Martin to work on a MIPS machine, but
currently we do not even know if there is a plan to make it a buildd,
nor if the problem is really a problem of load or just an unattended
bug, or whatever else.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org

Old 02-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Martin Michlmayr

* Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> [2008-02-11 19:26]:
> I am really thankful for Tim and Martin to work on a MIPS machine, but
> currently we do not even know if there is a plan to make it a buildd,

No, it will be a porter machine.

> nor if the problem is really a problem of load or just an unattended
> bug, or whatever else.

I'm pretty sure the problems have been mentioned in public before.
Anyway, they are recorded here:
https://rt.debian.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=320
https://rt.debian.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=321
I've no idea what the status is.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Charles Plessy

Le Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 05:36:21PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr a écrit :
> * Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> [2008-02-11 19:26]:
> > I am really thankful for Tim and Martin to work on a MIPS machine, but
> > currently we do not even know if there is a plan to make it a buildd,
>
> No, it will be a porter machine.

Thanks for the clarificaiton !

As a workaround for the build queue, since MIPS can be emulated I was
wondering if it would be acceptable to upload mips or mipsel binary
packages together with the source one when we perform upgrades.
Especially when we do not expect the package to be used on MIPS anyway.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org

Old 02-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Florian Lohoff

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:08:13AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:10:20PM -0500, Philippe Cloutier a crit :
> >
> > it would be much more efficient to work on buildd
> > redundancy (or other improvements to the buildd network).
>
> By the way, is there a plan to solve the problem of mips not keeping up
> apart waiting for a miracle to happen?
>
> Sorry to be rude, but I am just so surprised that there is a such big
> problem and that apparently nothing is done. If people are working on
> the issue, just let us know, they will get many kudos and everybody will
> be happy. In the absence of any communication, you know, there is the
> usual frustration...

Ryan and me have been communicating on a hardware mod on rem - one of
the mipsel buildds. Basically the machine is running on a PIO based ATA
disk because of the fundamentally broken design of the IDE interface
(abusing some leftover GPIO pins). I already got hold of a DMA capable
PCI controller which will be put into the machine most likely end of
this week and will bring a performance boost as it has been seen on
other BCM based buildds.

So - the issue is known - its worked on - most likely not the speed
everyone is happy with ...

Flo
PS: There is also a kernel bug in the mips and mipsel kernels which got
triggered on the buildds lately which crashed them hard a couple of
times and caused delay by downtime - see debian-mips list.
--
Florian Lohoff flo@rfc822.org +49-171-2280134
Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little

Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Charles Plessy

Le Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 03:40:24PM +0100, Florian Lohoff a écrit :

> Ryan and me have been communicating on a hardware mod on rem - one of
> the mipsel buildds. Basically the machine is running on a PIO based ATA
> disk because of the fundamentally broken design of the IDE interface
> (abusing some leftover GPIO pins). I already got hold of a DMA capable
> PCI controller which will be put into the machine most likely end of
> this week and will bring a performance boost as it has been seen on
> other BCM based buildds.

Dear Florian,

thanks a lot for the information and the work.

In the future, maybe this kind of issue could be more easily tracked if
the ports had their own pseudo-packages in the BTS ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org