Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Thomas Hood

Default Resolvconf trigger? ( #567059)

Hi. I am considering introducing a trigger to the resolvconf package
in order to solve the problem (discussed in #567059) where resolvconf
is installed on a system where a caching nameserver is already running.

The problem is that, on installation, resolvconf takes control of
/etc/resolv.conf but the nameserver has not yet registered its address
(normally 127.0.0.1) with resolvconf; so when resolvconf updates the
resolv.conf file the nameserver's address is incorrectly absent. The
problem disappears after reboot, but that is obviously not good enough.

The idea is that resolvconf activates a trigger and caching nameservers
register interest in the trigger. When triggered, a caching nameserver
checks to see if resolvconf is now installed; if so then the nameserver
registers its IP address with resolvconf.

Questions:

1. Is this the best way to solve the problem?
2. What races and other pitfalls should I watch out for?
3. What is an appropriate name for the trigger?
4. Does anything have to be approved or discussed on a particular
mailing list or can I go ahead and introduce the trigger and then
ask the maintainers of caching nameservers to make use of it?

--
Thomas Hood

Old 05-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Ian Jackson

Thomas Hood writes ("Resolvconf trigger? (Re: #567059)"):
> 1. Is this the best way to solve the problem?

I don't understand all the details, but I don't think so.

The purpose of triggers is to delay and consolidate work. The problem
as you describe it is that work is not being done soon enough.

> 4. Does anything have to be approved or discussed on a particular
> mailing list or can I go ahead and introduce the trigger and then
> ask the maintainers of caching nameservers to make use of it?

You certainly shouldn't try to insist that maintainers of caching
nameservers should conform to some interface without getting them to
agree with you about how it should be done.

Ian.