Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
André Barone Rodrigues

Default i386 ISO also installing kernel for AMD64 (Squeeze)

Dear sirs,I think there's something not entirelly clear to me and perhaps to some other people, because I couldn't find any solution to my problem.
I have downloaded an i386 ISO for Squeeze (6.0.1a) and used the same media to perform installation on 2 different machines.*
*On the first one I got a perfect i686 *and on the other an *AMD64 *kernel. presumibly, my media is not mult-arch.*
One problem I have felt so far is about Virtualbox OSE, which brings a kernel problem while installing from Debian Packages.

Best Regards,André.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 02:38:03PM -0300, André Barone Rodrigues wrote:
> Dear sirs,
> I think there's something not entirelly clear to me and perhaps to some
> other people, because I couldn't find any solution to my problem.
>
> I have downloaded an i386 ISO for Squeeze (6.0.1a) and used the same media
> to perform installation on 2 different machines.
> On the first one I got a perfect i686 and on the other an AMD64 kernel.
> presumibly, my media is not mult-arch.

The second machine presumably has 4 GB or more memory, so the '686'
kernel is not suitable. There should be a '686-bigmem' kernel on the
first DVD, but there isn't. This is bug #622622
<http://bugs.debian.org/622622>.

You can install 'linux-image-2.6-686-bigmem' using the network and
then remove the 'linux-image-2.6-amd64' and 'linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64'
packages.

> One problem I have felt so far is about Virtualbox OSE, which brings a
> kernel problem while installing from Debian Packages.

Use the 'reportbug' command to report a bug on whichever package seems
to be at fault.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
- Albert Camus

Old 04-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Goswin von Brederlow

André Barone Rodrigues <andre.barone.r@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear sirs,
> I think there's something not entirelly clear to me and perhaps to some other
> people, because I couldn't find any solution to my problem.
>
> I have downloaded an i386 ISO for Squeeze (6.0.1a) and used the same media to
> perform installation on 2 different machines.*
> *On the first one I got a perfect i686 *and on the other an *AMD64 *kernel.
> presumibly, my media is not mult-arch.*
>
> One problem I have felt so far is about Virtualbox OSE, which brings a kernel
> problem while installing from Debian Packages.
>
> Best Regards,
> André.

The i386 port of Debian has the customary 32bit kernel but it also has
64bit kernels. A 64bit kernel is generally faster (even considering it
has to interface with 32bit userspace) and does not limit your physical
memory to 3.5GiB (64GiB with bigmem). It also allows you to run 64bit
applications and 64bit virtual machines if you so choose. So all around
it is a better choice if you have a 64bit capable cpu.

The problem with Virtualbox OSE is regrettable but that would be a bug
in Virtualbox OSE. It should support 64bit kernels with 32bit userspace.
Please do file a bug with details.

MfG
Goswin