Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Piotr Ożarowski

Default /usr/bin/python2 again

[Barry Warsaw, 2011-04-13]
> On Apr 13, 2011, at 10:00 AM, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>
> >I think it makes more sense to have a release or two where users can
> >fall back on python2. Well there needs to be at least one
> >where /usr/bin/python becomes python3 alerting users to the change and
> >giving them the python2 fallback, just so they have time to be prepared
> >for the permanent change.
>
> I do agree that we could add the python2 symlink now so that folks who want to
> prepare can start changing their #! lines to use /usr/bin/python2.

what's the point? /usr/bin/python2 will not work either when we'll drop
support for Python 2.X. How about providing python3-foo packages as
soon as possible (to make it easier to migrate) instead of wasting time
on /usr/bin/python2 mess?
--
Piotr Ożarowski Debian GNU/Linux Developer
www.ozarowski.pl www.griffith.cc www.debian.org

Old 04-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Jon Dowland

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 07:19:59PM +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> what's the point? /usr/bin/python2 will not work either when we'll drop
> support for Python 2.X.

Do you think we'll ever drop supported for 2.X? It seems quite likely to me
that it will live on for a long, long time.

--
Jon Dowland

Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Philipp Kern

On 2011-04-13, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> [Barry Warsaw, 2011-04-13]
>> On Apr 13, 2011, at 10:00 AM, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>> >I think it makes more sense to have a release or two where users can
>> >fall back on python2. Well there needs to be at least one
>> >where /usr/bin/python becomes python3 alerting users to the change and
>> >giving them the python2 fallback, just so they have time to be prepared
>> >for the permanent change.
>> I do agree that we could add the python2 symlink now so that folks who want to
>> prepare can start changing their #! lines to use /usr/bin/python2.
> what's the point? /usr/bin/python2 will not work either when we'll drop
> support for Python 2.X. How about providing python3-foo packages as
> soon as possible (to make it easier to migrate) instead of wasting time
> on /usr/bin/python2 mess?

Given that other distributions will also pick up python2 due to PEP-0394 it
doesn't feel like wasted time if we want to foster cross-distro compatibility.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 03:06:17 PM Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2011-04-13, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> > [Barry Warsaw, 2011-04-13]

> >> I do agree that we could add the python2 symlink now so that folks who
> >> want to prepare can start changing their #! lines to use
> >> /usr/bin/python2.
> >
> > what's the point? /usr/bin/python2 will not work either when we'll drop
> > support for Python 2.X. How about providing python3-foo packages as
> > soon as possible (to make it easier to migrate) instead of wasting time
> > on /usr/bin/python2 mess?
>
> Given that other distributions will also pick up python2 due to PEP-0394 it
> doesn't feel like wasted time if we want to foster cross-distro
> compatibility.

So far the PEP is just a draft. I suspect something like this will eventually
get approved. When that happens (and upstream figures out how they will ship
/usr/bin/python2 within python2.7) then I think that's a good point. For now,
I think it's premature.

Scott K